Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • How old are you and what do you do? RESULTS
  • Karinofnine

Hi

I'm off sick so thought I would amuse myself by working out the average age…

This is up to and including NoTeeth on page 14.

for all 17166 total age divided by 460 valid posts = 37.3 years old

for women 460 total divide by 21 = 38.2 years old

Where it was not obvious or stated that the poster was female, I guessed male from the name or job.

kimbers

you must be really sick

MrNutt
    Free Member

now wash your hands.

bassspine
    Free Member

credit to you for having the patience to trawl through all those replies.
    GWS

samuri
    Free Member

I'd like a breakdown of profession cross-referenced to industry, skill level and importance please.

DaRC_L

Samuri supplemental request – can you do a pie chart?

ogwen
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a pivot table to me

What are the top 10 professions?

DezB
    Free Member

I guessed the average age was about 38 last week (I didn't post this, mrsDezB asked me). Might've saved you a bit of work 🙂

Trekster

What are the top 10 professions?

IT – looked the obvious nbr 1.

A few like me in maintenance. My proper title is maint tech, just means fitter 🙄

Quite a few with titles that may not actually mean what you read into them

samuri
    Free Member

Do you think we're all growing old together? I mean I know we are but with the exception of the odd young whippersnapper and old gimmer, do you think there's this bubble of middle aged people gradually drifting through time linked only by their STW login's? The average age will gradually get older and older (and presumably more refined as more of us die off), until the average age of those that can still type and remember who they are is 75?

Obviously I'll still be able to ride 200 miles in a day and there will be questions about what 9 inch forks for 16 foot high dropoffs. Jedi will still be pottering about amongst the treetops, sfb will be posting pictures of pensioners bums and everything will still be Thatchers fault, I don't see why any of that should change.

DezB
    Free Member

In an ideal world samuri 🙂

robgarrioch

37.3 years old

That makes me very average indeed – I knew it all along 🙂

Dylan08
    Free Member

get help chap quickly before its too late

Karinofnine

Ah Kimbers, are you a man or a woman?

ogwen
    Free Member

Getting Old Together

Yes I certainly think so. There seems to be a 'group' of people across the uk (i travel round a lot all over so meet loads of new people) who were 'in' to MTBing at the turn of the 80's & into the 90's. Those people are now aged 30 to 45 ish, and remember the heady days of the NEMBAs, JMC, when MBUK was good etc. There is a 'different' clan of enthusiasts now who have found the DH thrill personified by Peaty, and think that anything less than a foot of travel is well jey…

But yes, this 'group' are aging together and have IMHO found their home in STW.

Christ that's a bit deep for a tuesday lunchtime…

GrahamS

I'm off sick so thought I would amuse myself by working out the average age…

That's well and good but what was the average job?

I'm guessing "ITeachousengineeretiredoctoresearchippy"

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if you're off sick can you just make me some pies ?

sfb will be posting pictures of pensioners bums

I try not to discriminate on age grounds :o)

kimbers

i cant decide

Karinofnine

A wide spectrum of jobs, I didn't write them down, but more or less:

IT
    the medical profession
    science-based
    cops
    teachers
    self-employed/small business owners
    armed forces

Distressingly middle-aged, middle-class and "normal" isn't it? 😉

Karinofnine

kimbers – Member

i cant decide

ROFL !

rOcKeTdOg

i'm off sick too, but i've had to do a 1500 word essay on "Health and Safety and Pregnant Women"

i think yours was easier

and im above average age 🙁

and i'm one of those from the 80's/90's who is still lingering

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Where it was not obvious or stated that the poster was female, I guessed male from the name or job.

by job?

😯

Karinofnine

I started in 1984. I had a rubbish bike and went in the bike shop and said I wanted to ride along the canal towpath (whoa! e x t r e m e) and have good brakes. They showed me a Saracen Conquest. I fell in love and haven't been solvent since…

Wish you better soon RocketDog

D0NK

profession is going to be skewed heavily by the fact that we while away worktime on the forum – I mean does anyone actually bother with this place out of office hours? Thats riding time that is 🙂

Karinofnine

mrmichaelwright – Member

by job?

"Full time Dad" etc was easy, for the others I had to rely on good old-fashioned stereotyping I'm afraid eg
    [/quote]flooring instalation technician and builder of bright lights

– probably male

Not an exact science, I realise

Harry_the_Spider

If you are still ill tomorrow can you work out what percentage would be on the B Ark?

Clicky

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

🙂

there'll always be the same crowd on here, discussion has grown older as the core members have.

talk of washable nappies, twin buggies, investments and washing machine repairs were not the staples of gofar or the old stw.

the only constant has been the music and drugs threads, they've just changed form 'i do' to 'i used to'

VanHalen

i thought this thread was going to state a financial amount gained through identity theft.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i thought this thread was going to state a financial amount gained through identity theft.

I wish someone would steal mine and relieve me of my debts…

"It was him wot done it"

Jamie
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    you must be really sick

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

I would say it must be terminal.

skidartist
    Free Member

DaRC_L – Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

there's a fair few out here in our 20's!

whats the standard deviation? is it fairly tight in the upper 30's or is there more of a range? d10 and d90 to please………….

flip
    Free Member

I said i was an RBS banker but technically i earned so much i was able to retire at forty, and spend too much time on here, and various other forums.

Oh and go riding 😉

Drac

So the average age has gone up by a few years since the official survey a few years ago, incredible.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Did you find many UNIX administrators?

If so, can you get them to answer my UNIX question.

jedi

i'll be riding bikes forever 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

"i'll be riding bikes forever"

Either you are immortal or they have bikes in heaven ?.

🙂

L.

yetiguy
    Free Member

what will be interesting would be to get everyones salary, and see what the average income is !

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ok

based on a sample comprising the first 250 valid replies:

Averag 37.46774194
    Std Dev 8.555544154
    min 17
    max 64

can you tell how bored i am

i can supply the excel sheet if anyone wants to do the remaining 7 pages or so

(i don't know how to do FREQ formula so can't supply pie charts)

miketually
    Free Member

there'll always be the same crowd on here, discussion has grown older as the core members have

It seems that way. I've always been 5 years or so younger than the average. Ten years ago, I was 22 and had just graduated and got married and always felt a lot younger than most other people, but the 5 year ago gap feels less as the years go on.

At 32, married for a decade, two kids aged 6 and 4, etc. I feel much more like the average.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘How old are you and what do you do? RESULTS’ is closed to new replies.