Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • How often do you wash your clothes?
  • vinnyeh

Goes without saying that socks and jocks get changed at least daily, but how long do you wear jeans without washes? Is a week or so unhygienic, if they’re not getting dirty or stained?

And merino- I tend to wear t-shirts of the stuff during the day, happy to wear them for a few days as well without washing.

Is this bad?

yunki
    Free Member

jeans can go a good month or two of heavy soiling I reckon.. t-shirts until you smell like a dead goat

weeksy

Same as you really. JEans are a 5 day affair usually.

a Jumper/top i will wear for a day, re-hang, put back on 8-10 days later and possibly even do this a 3rd time.

Obviously if i’ve been sweating/hot it’s a 1 day 1 wash scenario.

PiknMix
    Free Member

If its on the floor it’s washed every other day, if clean jeans go on the floor after slipping into my jim jams they get washed overnight. It’s madness anything gets eaten by the laundry goblin almost before its fully hit the ground. I mustn’t complain though, she does a grand job.

maccruiskeen

but how long do you wear jeans without washes? Is a week or so unhygienic, if they’re not getting dirty or stained?

Can’t say I generally set a time limit – with something like jeans that you wouldn’t mix with other stuff then any time more than one pair could do with a wash (and its a good day to peg out) they all go in together.

Proper nice jeans get washed less often – got a pair that have only been washed once since 2003

That said, if its a good day to peg oot then pretty much anything that isn’t nailed down or can’t run away goes through the machine. I love pegging oot.

cheers_drive

Any t-shirt / shirt that is next to skin gets washed after a day of wear. Outer tops, trousers and jeans when they smell or are dirty.

johndoh
    Free Member

As soon as the kids smear enough food/snot over them.

At the moment about 16 times a day.

muckytee
    Free Member

If owt get stained then it’ll get washed straight away.

Jeans usually about every 2 weeks sometimes leave it 3
    T shirts when the pits smell, so about once a week.
    Wash my jacket that I wear every day about once a year.

My cycle clothes when the smell gets to “that could gag a maggot” levels

However I have a shower every morning and wash my hair, so this helps with keeping my clothes fresh.

wwaswas

T shirts when the pits smell, so about once a week.

😯 hence the forum name…

footflaps

T-shirts, shirts, underwear all get worn once then washed. Jeans get a week.

jota180
    Free Member

Cycle gear, Ts, skiddies, socks etc – one wear only before a wash, anything else I get 2 or 3 wears out of them

binners

When they rear up from the bedroom floor, and try and assault the missus as she walks in, then in the wash they go

warton
    Free Member

I’ve got 4 pairs of selvedge denim jeans. they get washed twice a year .

Everything else pretty much 1 wear and it gets washed

IanMunro
    Free Member

I naturally smell of puppies and blossom so as a consequence rarely need to wash my clothes.

wwaswas

no one going for the old;

“throw it at the ceiling and wear the stuff that doesn’t stick”

approach, then?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cycle clothes/excercise clothes get worn once
    Everything else gets worn more often

I work in a office at desk – I am not working so hard I will sweat so i dont change them everyday or think I need to.

Personally I think we are obsessed with cleanliness – we have smells for clean when clean is the absence of smells.

Edukator
    Free Member

When stressed, two T-shirts a day. On a recent cycling holiday the same cotton shirt for 10 days.

jota180
    Free Member

Personally I think we are obsessed with cleanliness – we have smells for clean when clean is the absence of smells.

My excuse is that it’s no problem for me at all, I have no input in laundry duties whatsoever.

Northwind

You can wear modern fabrics for years before they rot.

jam-bo

As soon as the kids smear enough food/snot over them.

At the moment about 16 times a day.

it took me three shirts before i got out the door for work the other day…

camerone
    Free Member

I leave my jeans until my hand smells of stale piss if it has been in my pocket…

brakes
    Free Member

washing criteria for clothes seems to have changed in my household since having a sprog. it now seems that you have to vomit or shit yourself in order to get your clothes washed.

samuri
    Free Member

What on earth are you lot talking about?

Wear an item of clothing, throw it on the floor.
    Next time you see it it’s clean and hung up ready to be worn again.

you should spend less time on counting the days and more time on wife management.

RustySpanner

Used to share a flat with a mate who had this laundry system:

Start with bin bag full of clean clothes – when dirty, item of clothing goes into second bin bag. When first bag empty, swap bags over.

Dirty, dirty little man.

Guitarists, weird, the lot of them.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I change my tshirt/shirt every day.. jeans maybe three days max..

nealglover
    Free Member

Jeans and Shorts get weeks between washes.

Work gear/ t shirts/ bike stuff etc etc get worn once.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

T shirts can last one day or a few depending on what I’ve been doing, jeans/combats might go a couple of weeks, again depends really. Jumpers/hoodies worn round the house will go for weeks and weeks unless they get actually dirty.

Obviously if something’s starting to hum it goes in the basket, but in general I agree with junkyard and try not to get too carried away.

somafunk

Jeans get washed very- very rarely as i’ve only got a few pairs, expensive replay jeans and a few japanese selvedge denim so i’d rather sponge them if they get a dirty mark – washing jeans in a machine destroys the structure of the cotton thread and leads to premature wear (so i was told by a fashion design graduate) so i hang them outside on the line to air after a days wear – seems to work fine.

T-shirts i wear for a couple of days at a time, same with hoodys etc but i guess i only do one proper clothes wash a week with non-bio stuff, cycling stuff such as lycra shorts etc get handwashed every time i use them due to bacteria and sweat (yuk!), merino?….if it’s clean looking and non pongy i’ll keep wearing it and rotate it hanging up outside to air but if dirty i’ll handwash it. Riding shorts or 3/4’s and jackets etc get washed if they get dirty which at the moment is every ride, spend two hrs riding and one hr washing….Humph!.

crazy-legs

Used to share a flat with a mate who had this laundry system:

Start with bin bag full of clean clothes – when dirty, item of clothing goes into second bin bag. When first bag empty, swap bags over.

Dirty, dirty little man.

A housemate of mine at uni just used to buy more clothes and shove the used ones in a bin bag. (I say “shoved”, what I actually mean is the dirty clothes walked to the bin bag by themselves…).

Once he’d run out of student loan and maxed out his credit card on new clothes, he’d wait until the stink in his room got too bad then take everything to the laundrette and spend the day in there, taking over every single machine.

He’d then repeat the process but with 4 times the number of clothes he started with. The guy had more clothes than all the rest of us in the house put together.

GrahamS

Wear an item of clothing, throw it on the floor.
    Next time you see it it’s clean and hung up ready to be worn again.

Not everyone here still lives with their mum 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘How often do you wash your clothes?’ is closed to new replies.