Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How Much Fluid Do I need to Replace The Fluid In Shimano XT Rear Brake?
  • mudglutten
    Free Member

That’s it! Thanks?

uplink
    Free Member

Not a lot I wouldn’t have thought – 50ml?

goog
    Free Member

as much as it takes

coatesy
    Free Member

Probably less than 100ml, try a car spares shop/Halfords for LHM fluid, much cheaper than paying bike shop prices.

foxyrider
    Free Member
    matthewjb
    Free Member

foxyrider – Member

50ml for Front and Rear

I used less than that when I did mine. I’ve still got 1.5 of those little pots left.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Depends on how good your bleeding skills are. It took me a lot more to bleed a brake for the first time than it does now.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nice on the fluid there

dan1980
    Free Member

SLX brakes use less than 50ml for a complete change of juice.
    I’ve stopped using the shimano stuff in preference to this

Mineral oil motorcycle clutch fluid

which does exactly the same job, and comes in a more tasteful yellow colour rather than pink (if that sort of thing bothers you!) 😀

mudglutten
    Free Member

Thanks all.

ahwiles
    Free Member

what do you want to know? – how much oil is in the system, or how much you’ll need to bleed it nicely?

the answers are about 15ml, and 100ml.

mudglutten
    Free Member

ahwiles: I want to know how much is needed to bleed, but I figure it would be sensible to replace at the same time.

Really want to know if this will be enough or whether I need two of them.

BTW, I assume I should put new pads in to bleed, so the pistons can be pushed right back later, even if I put the old ones back in after bleeding,?

tf
    Free Member

I’d buy the 1L bottle of the real shimano stuff from CRC; unlike dot fluid it lasts and it works out 3 times cheaper than what dan1980 liked to. 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

take the pads out. clean them with a clean rag. put them somewhere safe, in a different room, close the door.

you are not allowed to open that door until the brake is bled, and you’ve clean yourself and the bike, and anything you touched, or might have touched, during the bleed process.

you will need 2 syringes; a 50ml syringe and a 10ml syringe, and about 10cm of clear hose – ebay is your friend.

the big syringe is for forcing oil in through the caliper, the little one for hoovering the excess from the top reservoir – any oil that gets hoovered should be considered ‘unclean’ – store it in an old bottle and take it to the tip the next time you go.

have you bled brakes before? – your best bet is to make friends with someone who can do it, shower them with gifts and love.

the real joy of shimano brakes is that the pistons are very easy to push back – just poke them with the end of the 7mm spanner you’ll need to turn the bleed nipple. you don’t need pads in to help push the pistons back.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

what TF said; a litre of the Shimano stuff from CRC is cheaper than two 50ml bottles so youd be insane to pay more for a tenth of the product.

Unlike DOT fluid it doesnt go off (DOT is hygroscopic ie. absorbs moisture from the atmosphere) so it’ll still be there when you next need to bleed a set.

mudglutten
    Free Member

Sorry, all. Was called away (damn work!) and only just got back to the thread. Thanks for all the advice.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Halfords does mineral oil in the bike hut bit in 125ml bottles.

Think its £4

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

like said above, if you’re doing it for the first time, buy more oil than you think you’ll need. first job, remove the pads and put well away. I found that removing the caliper and hanging it so the hose is straight gives a better chance of it bleeding without air bubbles, first time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How Much Fluid Do I need to Replace The Fluid In Shimano XT Rear Brake?’ is closed to new replies.