Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • How much does it cost to have a helicopter on hover for hours on end?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Because that’s how much the pathetic excuses for “students” are costing the taxpayer at the moment. The effing things have been overhead all day. ALL DAY! That’s a huge waste of money to police the idiotic morons who have turned a legitimate protest in to a potentially violent protest worthy of the police spending so much to police it.

nonk
    Free Member

the urban myth in my head has it at three grand an hour

iDave
    Free Member

my guess is it costs less than bankers tax evasion

maccruiskeen

along the same lines a the plane/conveyor belt a helicopter can hover over a fairground waltzer almost effortlessly and at very little cost to the taxpayer – especially if its ‘danger night’ and all the fairground rides are free

MrSmith
    Free Member

been on photoshoots over central london in a helicopter and IIRC it was about £2k an hour (you need a twin engine to fly over london)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Not very useful but – apparently less than hiring a power boat for the same journey. So I had the misfortune to discover recently.

nonk
    Free Member

what so my urban myth lobe is wrong?

roblerner
    Free Member

But they’re going to be saving the taxpayer loads now (almost) all state funding for higher education is being cut and the future “pathetic excuses for students” will be paying it themselves.

TooTall
    Free Member

Devon and Cornwall Police:

The all inclusive cost is £1675 per hour, this includes everything including fuel, staff and insurance. The unit has an annual budget of 1,000 hours per year, an average of 2.75 flying hours per day.

Futureboy77

the urban myth in my head has it at three grand an hour

nonk, you are probably not far off the truth. When i worked offshore, each crew change chopper cost circa seven grand to put in the air.

nonk
    Free Member

lifed parts and all that?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

One has a heli-pad for it to land on.

project
    Free Member

You have the police copter and sky copter and the
    bbc copter, along with anyone else who can fly a fan.

Sure it wasnt a pretend one held up by wires.

It could also be that windsor lad coming home to see daddy at buck house, he flys one.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A Chinook costs £5k an hour plus £165k a month whether it flys or not.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A Chinook costs £5k an hour plus £165k a month whether it flys or not.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Poor troll flushfart. Very poor. I expected better from your privately educated self. Money can’t buy everything eh?

toys19
    Free Member

Blimey it’s gone up.. Budum tish..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Not only a poor troll, but a lazy troll too.

igm

Police -v- students? I’m supporting the students.

Student protest is what they are meant to be doing – get on with it. ‘Twas the poll tax in my day.

duckman

3k an hour an hour for the mountain rescue Sea king,according to MR mates.Not that anybody needs rescuing by heli(according to the cuts being made to RAF search and rescue by Tories)

Edric64
    Free Member

daddy at buck house,

Daddy lives in Gloucestershire though so his sat nav is crap if he’s at Buckhouse ,unless he has gone to see nanny

trailmonkey

don’t worry flash, in 10 years time there won’t be enough graduates that could afford to get through university and into pilot officer training in the raf and navy – ergo no helicopter pilots in the police wasting fuel.

i can suddenly see some sense in the govts’ cuts after all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So why is the helicopter needed for this? Apart from its needed to be in the air to justify its expense.

What serious crimes are being prevented or detected by the copter?

househusband

…in 10 years time there won’t be enough graduates that could afford to get through university and into pilot officer training in the raf and navy – ergo no helicopter pilots…

Army Air Corps – you don’t need a degree!

Andy

MrSmith – Member
    been on photoshoots over central london in a helicopter and IIRC it was about £2k an hour (you need a twin engine to fly over london)

PAGING ELFIN PAGING ELFIN to the forum please 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Here I am!

I like these sort of threads. They serve to expose the bigoted narrow-mindedness inherent in some Little Englanders, as well as their selfish hypocrisy.

I fully support anyone who chooses to exercise their democratic right to protest. Fortunately, it looks like these demonstrations will continue, which will really make Flashy’s ring itch. This can only be a Good Thing.

Flashy’s just jealous, ‘cos they’ve got the balls to actually publicly stand up for what they believe in, rather than cower behind a stupid persona behind a keyboard. He can only dream of having such stones…

Oh, and as for the cost; the Countryside Alliance demonstration, that Flashy claims he was on, cost many, many times more than the recent student protests, to police. Personally, I think they should’ve just turned the water cannons on the filthy bumpkins and blasted them back into the sticks, but there you go. 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They serve to expose the bigoted narrow-mindedness inherent in some Little Englanders, as well as their elfish hypocrisy.

Elfish hypocrisy ?…………you think small english geezers should stick together then ?

btw, did you know that “popcorn” is rhyming slang for “Little Englanders” ?

As in : popcorn and maltesers = small geezers

Although it can get a tad confusing, as it can also be used when you go to the pictures, as in when you go up to the kiosk and say, “I’ll have one of them large packets of small geezers please love”

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You are such an idiot.

And so ugly, that your face is twinned with the Soviet mining town of Magnitogorsk. 🙁

Go away and wash yourself and have some Cucumber.

convert

they’ve got the balls to actually publicly stand up for what they believe in

Do you really believe this? I have to say I have not yet heard a protester, or many other folk for that matter, who have been able to articulate their argument against the proposed scheme in a manner that indicates to me that they actually understand it or have done enough research to comprehend the merits or otherwise when compared to the current state of affairs. To protest from a position of knowledge is OK by me, but to do so from a position of ignorance makes you a bit of a dick.

nonk
    Free Member

lol lol and thrice lol at elfin.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I know what I’m talking about with these here evil Tory plans. But it’s too cold to protest and since I’m at a posh uni (that I couldn’t afford to go to should these plans go ahead despite working my backside off to get the grades to get in) I’m just going to write a letter.

Failing that I’ll start cobbing fire extinguishers at bucktoothed people wearing barbour jackets and driving range rovers but for now a stern letter should show ’em.

convert

Explain to me how you would not be able to afford to go given there is no up front cost?

nonk
    Free Member

its a point well made convert.
    but no lets have a riot. 🙄

Lifer
    Free Member

Ah no up front cost, that’s okay then.

Do you really find it so difficult to imagine that people don’t want to get into massive debt before they start working?

nonk
    Free Member

no.
    but there is no money.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I couldn’t afford to be saddled with the debt afterwards and the parents couldn’t bail me out because funnily enough they don’t have £40000 either. It’d be too crippling. The minimum amount to start paying it back is not a lot of money and having money like that taken out of the low wages I’d start up on would just be too much. It’d make more sense to go straight into work and be unskilled. Either that or go to a university that’s not as good and charges less, despite having the grades to do more, and not reach the potential I should be able to and be less employable. Opportunities are blocked by increasing costs. The grades needed to get in should go up if they want to lower numbers then it would be a fairer system for the brightest people, not the richest.

Of course, being unskilled is great for the nation…

Lifer
    Free Member

@nonk

And these plans won’t save the country any money for decades so why are they so keen to rush it through?

nonk
    Free Member

It’d make more sense to go straight into work and be unskilled

this is not always the outcome yknow.

Pigface
    Free Member

It is also how they keep vines and kiwi fruit from being damaged by frost in parts of New Zealand believe it or not.

convert

Not at all. But then we are in a discussion about value for money which is very different to “can’t afford to go”. Again, unless you take the time to read through the proposal and do the maths to work out what this “massive debt” would mean to the life long earnings of someone on a modest post degree income, you don’t necessarily realise how different this “debt” is to other debt we pick up (car loans, mortgage etc) where you are expected to pay it all back irrespective of income.

In a perfect utopian world I’d love to see a return of the 70’s where most students not only got free education but also a grant towards living expenses, but then again 3 in 4 of our current students would never have made it there in the first place such was the difference in higher education numbers. Personally I’d can the nukes and use the money to put the current unwashed through university for free but as the majority of current students voted toryboy this time around they’ll have to lay in their own mess!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘How much does it cost to have a helicopter on hover for hours on end?’ is closed to new replies.