• This topic has 71 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • How much do you save per month?
  • vorlich
    Free Member

I’m a spender by nature. But I’m trying to be better at putting something away each month. This usually lasts for so long and then ends up spent on one thing [new frame] or another [car repairs].

I’ve been planning ahead and reckon soon I’ll be able to put away £500 p/m. I hope seeing my balance grow quickly might act as an incentive to leave it be.

What strategies do you lot have for not spending your stash?

philconsequence
    Free Member

money gets transferred by standing order the day i get paid into savings so its not in my current account to use over the month, that’s my strategy 🙂

kayak23

Ah the luxury of disposable income….ANY disposable income….
    Can’t seem to even afford an inner tube these days…
    It all gets spent on rent and the blood-sucking ungrateful little urchins kids….

warton
    Free Member

mainly £0. going to hopefully satrt putting 50 quid or so a month away for holiday, need a promotion / new job before I can start looking into the future and properly saving

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I agree with Phil, get the money away from your sticky fingers and into a savings account before you even get chance to see it.

binners

What is this ‘save’ you speak of?

vorlich
    Free Member

We’re quite organised financially, assorted accounts and standing orders etc. So I’m already transferring it out on payday. Is self-discipline the only way ahead?

No kids here 😀

It’s only recently I’ve been in a position to put anything significant away. I know how slow it can seem putting £50 p/m or less away

toby1

Yeah, get the money out of your account on the first day, leave it somewhere you can’t access it easily.

Ideally I’ll be back to saving £500 a month soon too – used to manage more – now have a mortgage and a list of other expenses that like to try and get in the way.

Budgeting weekly is key (realistic budgets), and not running out before the end of the month and building up a debt you then have to clear on payday works best for me.

philconsequence
    Free Member

apart from buying cheaper foods, less toys, driving less/more economically etc etc (general tips on reducing spending) then i’d say that self-discipline is indeed the way forward. i try and ignore my savings accounts and pay for things like car insurance and any surprise costs that pop up out of a ‘buffer’ in my current account… basically a set amount i always try and keep in there for situations like if i get pad late

prezet
    Free Member

This year I’ve done quite well. Started working as a web contractor after spending several years working on low wages at an agency.

So I still have a lifestyle based on earning a small wage, and put the rest in the bank. On average, per month I manage to save about £2k.

Hoping to keep that up for the next year or so, and then pay off a large chunk of my mortgage.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Used to do £500 or more/month but now it’s the other way and I’m eating into savings 🙁
    Mrs SB has just started working part time again though so that will take the pressure off. I’m hoping business will pick up and I’ll be able to put a little away.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Used to save £2-300 per month but going backwards at the moment. Interview next week so here’s hoping…

soobalias
    Free Member

£50 a month regular, then the current account sweepings just before payday which has recently been edging towards £100 so maybe time to update the standing order.

no pay rise for ages so this is reduced spending through economising

this pays for holidays, christmas and school trip type stuff so recent years dont have a closing balance.

stumpy01

philconsequence – Member
    money gets transferred by standing order the day i get paid into savings so its not in my current account to use over the month, that’s my strategy

Do this – which it sounds like you probably already are.

I currently have £250 in overpayment on the mortgage every month, plus £100 general savings and £125 in car maintenance which covers tax, MOT, insurance, servicing & tyres (I do a lot of miles).
    At the end of the month if I have any money left over it gets transferred out into the savings account (bar a small amount of buffer).

philconsequence
    Free Member

well done prezet! my first instinct is to shout “thats not fair, how come you earn so much and can save so much!?!” but then i realised i dont know anything about your personal situation and unless it turns out your selling drugs to school kids or school kids to druggies then its better to think ‘fair play!’

so yeah, impressive 🙂 fingers crossed you can take a big old chunk out of your mortgage!

prezet
    Free Member

@philconsequence – I think I just happen to be in the right industry, at the right time. A bit like being in the oil industry through the 80’s. The web is booming right now (although the government still seem interested in backing new railways rather than new telecom infrastructures!) – and there’s a distinct lack of employable people around, so contractors current command a large day rate. Anything between £250 – £450pd depending on where you’re working.

I know it won’t last forever, hence me still being quite frugal, and not getting used to living on a big salary by having a flash car, clothes etc – I drive a Skoda ffs! 😛

To be honest I’d rather get the mortgage paid off before I’m 40 if possible than have big lavish holidays, and drive an Audi.

willard

Manage to get about 500 a month into an ISA (so that I can’t touch it) mainly due to living like a hermit and not having kids. I’ve also got a reliable car now, so the unexpected bills have taken a back seat for the last six months.

However… All the savings have just been sucked into the new house, so I am going to have to start it all over again, but this time I will probably just keep living like a hermit and pile anything I can spare into the house as overpayment. The bike will help. When I’m out on that, I can’t go near shops… Not since I lost the lock.

philconsequence
    Free Member

*daydreams about setting myself up as a ‘be a lovely person and enjoy your life more’ coach for £400 per day*

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about contracting myself at some point. Those figures are certainly attractive! Would love to have a chunk to drop on mortgage, clearing student loan or underground lair.

We have quite strict budgets set and monitor it all via a spreadsheet. After all else is done I’ll be left with a little over £300 disposable income, for coffees/entertainment/bike parts/books etc. I always spend it all though, maybe need to start keeping two savings, one from ‘left overs’ that can be dipped into for unexpected items etc…

onandon
    Free Member

At the moment I’m paid weekly so it’s easy to budget.
    I don’t really save but usually have 500-750 per month left over.

sprocker
    Free Member

savings a distant dream the 1120 a month to nursery kills it.

DT78
    Free Member

About a grand, 500 overpayment, 300 shares, 200 savings. 3 year plan is to blow it all buying a family home. If we,d been on the property market a few years before we would be laughing. As it is we.are having to save a lot. When my car final packs up we won’t replace it. No big hols for the foreseeable. Bikes can only be funded via PayPal slush fund. Bad times. Still got a job so could be worse

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I have mine taken out my wages (share saves)
    Definitely the safest way. I can’t touch it without writing to the registrar for my cash back!

vorlich
    Free Member

In fact part of the reason for saving is to get some cushion, so that I can hand my notice in and go contracting. 2 month notice period means the chances of having a contract lined up beforehand are slim.

Any tips on how to educate myself in the ways of buying shares etc?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

£30 a month gets put to one side for buying my wife presents at Christmas/birthday.

No other regular saving – that’s what happens when you have two small kids and a wife who prefers to only work term time and part time.

Still I wouldn’t change a thing.

saleem
    Free Member

Wow you guys must get paid well as you all seem to post pics of lovely bike and have large houses too.

Hohum
    Free Member

Nothing.

I guess that my pension contributions are savings and I would see the capital element of my mortgage payment as savings.

thegreatape
    Free Member

About £100 a month, half of which is into the kids savings though. Overpaying the mortgage as well, and have some savings tucked away ready to sort out all the problems on my house 🙁

carlosg
    Free Member

After all the bills are paid there isn’t a lot left but we put £150 into a savings account and £50 into each of the kids accounts every month.

on what we earn its a miracle we can even afford that!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I don’t get a regular income so making a regular saving is difficult. I managed over the last year to put on average £250 into savings and a bit more into an account towards a new car. Got the car now so hoping to put around £500 into savings.

thomthumb
    Free Member

What strategies do you lot have for not spending your stash?

fun is on hold. permanently 🙁

emac65
    Free Member

Used to save a lot each month,then we had children(3 of) & saving & THE SAVINGS disappeared…..
    Then as they got older,wages went up & things got easier so we were able to start saving again…
    Then two of them went into 6th form,were learning to drive,then they turned 18 etc etc
    So back to not saving & no savings again…… 😕

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This thread has made me consider getting a loan to buy a bike.

vorlich
    Free Member

This thread has made me consider getting a loan to buy a bike.

You’re welcome! 😉

jools182
    Free Member

nowt

DT78
    Free Member

To be fair, most of my ‘savings’ come from the fact the interest rates have dropped a chunk and the mortgage has reduced a substaintial amount. We just decided to keep the same amount going out rather than waste it.

Should interest rates go up to 6 or 7% we will be in a very different position.

LenHankie

Sprocker +1

Before kids – about £250 per month…now I just struggle to get all the bills paid. Nursery fees and then with the second sprog due soon, going down to a single income means savings are but a distant dream.

This all ties into the recent ‘Child benefit’ thread and subsequent ‘Does a £44k salary make you rich? tangent…I’d say not with a family to raise in the South East, no.

chickenman

Care homes cost in the region of £1000 a WEEK!(slightly less if you live in Scotchlandia..
    If you have no savings, the council pays your place for you.
    So, spend, spend, spend I say!!
    A bit cold here, so I’m away off back under my bridge! 😀

flip
    Free Member

£3.62

nickf
    Free Member

Nil, but it depends on what you mean by savings. I have debt at the start of the month, less debt at the end of the month, and in 10 years I’ll have no debt and fully own the four houses I have mortgages on, plus have a good pension scheme.

I earn a decent amount, but every time I think I could blow a silly amount on something I simply buy another property and make myself poor again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘How much do you save per month?’ is closed to new replies.