Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How many spacers under my Stem?? Enduro Decisions ;-)
  • maxtorque

So, I’ve got some nice shiny new Pikes going on, and i’m at the horrible “hacksaw” moment with the stem cutting. Well, i can’t decide how many spacers to run under my stem! DOH! Any science too it?

This is one more than i had before (+7.5mm taller):

Looks a bit tall to me?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Certainly no more than 30mm. Too many and the headset seems to work loose more frequently.

Euro
    Free Member

Same as before? (unless it was too low/high).

steveh

Why do you want it taller than before? Do you have issues with feeling like you are going over the bars? Or with the front wheel feeling like it is going to wash out (which could mean a lower bar could help)?

maxtorque

I liked how the bike rode before tbh, and i will already have an approx 12mm taller front end as I’ve gone from 26″ FOX 150 RLCs to 650B 160mm Pikes.

But, as it’s a “cut once” decision i just thought i’d think about it a bit before doing just that! 😉

sharkattack

It’s just my personal technique but I usually start with 4 5mm spacers underneath as that’s the most I’d ever run and 1 5mm on top. Move the stem up or down in that range until I’m happy and then give it the snip.

BearBack
    Free Member

if you’re worried..cut it there (well a few mm below the top of the stem) , then pop one spacer on top of the stem while you give it the shakedown ride.. then you’ve at least got that extra safety should you need it.

legend
    Free Member

If I was happy with my old bar height I’d be going straight for that, maybe with a little room (say 5mm) for adjust each way. I don’t mean no. of spacers though, rather height from the floor

simonside
    Free Member

There was a kid took a steerer to his nether regions yesterday, spent a few hours in hospital as the result, you might want want to chop a bit off that unless you enjoy hospital food…

bigjim

make sure you use enduro spacers

maxtorque

Don’t worry, i’m using proper carbon spacers!

maxtorque

First “tall” cut:

Doesn’t look too bad to me, probably will ride it like that for a bit and see how it feels on tight uphill hairpins etc…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How many spacers under my Stem?? Enduro Decisions ;-)’ is closed to new replies.