Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • How many of your bikes are actually ridable at any one time?
  • cookeaa

I finished bolting together and twiddling my “Summer HT” last night, propped it up next to my other MTBs and realised that all three were in a rideable state for the first time in ages.

I actually have four whole bikes available (including my BMX) out of five and in a functional state, and I’m tempted to attack the Road bike next week and go from 80 to the full 100% availability…

That this state of affairs is the exception rather than the rule for me all seems a touch tragic if I’m honest, but it got me wondering how many Multiple bike owners, like myself, actually have all of their bikes working and available to use all the time? And how many Prioritize maintance activities meaning that 100% availability is never quite within reach?

*Please nobody use the following terms;
    Steed, Stable, Fleet or Quiver

njee20
    Free Member

All steeds in my fleet remain fully functional. Can’t imagine having any in the stable that I can’t use, what point in having a reasonable quiver if they’re not useable!? 🙂

My winter road bike has been minus an STI for a couple of months, I CBA to fit it again because I now have an excuse to just ride the Madone, even when the weather’s awful. That’s pretty unusual though, generally they all work at any one point.

wwaswas

I’ve got 6 bikes all of which are currently rideable.

Only time they’re not is if I have to send forks or shocks away for servicing, really.

I used to always have at least one in a semi-built state but I seem to have arrived at a set of bikes that, as they are currently built, suit me so no need to change.

nickf
    Free Member

Following a bit of a blitz this weekend, all nine of the bikes in the garage are rideable, if you allow for one half-built bike (needs brakes and a fork) which isn’t actually broken, and a geared 456 which doesn’t have a saddle or a seatpost (but I just swap the saddle/seatpost from my singlespeed 456).

I even managed to put a new front end on my daughter’s DH bike and get it running perfectly.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I’ve only two bike, one mtb one road, both rideable and so is the motorbike. But I have neither a stable nor steed.

ahwiles
    Free Member

and that’s got to be a personal record.

(but i have pinched a 160mm disc from my girlfriend’s bike…)

TiRed

All of them (15 in the garage, not all mine). Oh, and it’s definitely a fleet; ranging from tandems to a genuine dutch roadster, with road, fixed commuter, MTB’s, BMX and a folder in there too.

nedrapier

1 out of 2.

Rode in on the commutery toury thing this morning. Hardtail has a puncture.

Going to have to stick it in the car and drive it to the bike shop at the weekend. Total ballache.

flyingmonkeycorps

Two at the moment, and two unbuilt frames. One of those is for sale though, to fund the buildage of the other. Although I keep eyeing up BMXs…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Out of the nine frames I have, 5 are in full working order and all of them get used. 2 x road bikes – one on the turbo and my plastic summer bike, race mountain bike, cyclocross bike and my singlespeed commuter.

Don’t see the point of building the others up as they won’t get used.

thomthumb
    Free Member

there is a priority in my garage with the commuter getting fixed first followed by the SS mtb. it’s rare that all 4 are running but thats often due to lack of funds. 🙁

Mister-P
    Free Member

All of them, all the time.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

50% of my quiver is ridable. 😆

One is in constant use the other has been raped for spares.

I_Ache
    Free Member

All bikes in my household are working correctly. This includes my two MTBs my wife’s MTB my BMX and my kids bikes.

I have a frame hanging up next to some old forks that will one day be built into a snow bike when I can get hold of a pair of old skis or a snow board. The build with a snowboard might be too hard to control but will be more stable. But as I havn’t started building this yet I can’t class it as a bike, its just parts.

Dibbs
    Free Member

If a bikes not working it’s wasting valuable space in my garage, I have a bigger problem deciding which one to ride.

ads678

Both of them,they have to be.

Hardtail for commuting/family rides/general bimbles.
    Full suss for bigger stuff.

rocketman
    Free Member

5 out of 6 all maintained to spaceship standards and ready to go.

If only the same could be said about their owner 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I usualy have at least one that’s broken at a any given time. Generaly it’s waiting for something to be fixed/serviced elswhere as anything I can DIY I’m pretty good at doing as soon as I get back from a ride and I keep enough stock of spare BB/chain/cassette/headsets/brake pads/tyres/cables/bolts etc to fix them without waiting for them to arrive.

I’m with Njee though, if one’s not working it buggs me that I can’t use it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have four bikes, all are in great physical shape, but aren’t all in “mint” condition.
    So, foldie, foldie is in perfect looking and running order (he’s such a smart looking fella).
    Roadie, well roadie is sporting a cracked front clincher rim, not too bad but bad enough for it to be annoying when hard front braking brings with it a “clicking noise”.
    Lefty, he’s such a dirty boy, just had some upgrades so is in “Full Hammering Order” but caked in dried Hampshire gloop.
    Gunny, 29erSS is sitting happily glistening in the corner, ready to ride, ready to blast around a wood/forest somewhere close to me tonight.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

All bar my DH bike, where I crashed & broke the brake lever off. New lever should be there today & i’ll be back up & running.

kudos100
    Free Member

3 out of 4 steeds are ready to go at the moment. Two months ago it was 1 out of 4 and I realised I needed to do some wrenching……..

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Only have the Frankenbike and that’s always good to go, I am building another very slowly but as it has never been complete I am not counting it at the moment. Otherwise I could claim to have several bikes in component form.

robowns
    Free Member

One out of one, although its making an annoying creaking noise at the moment 🙁

dawson

both are ride-able – I just need to swap pedals depending on which bike I want to ride as I only have one set – does that still count? 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Mine are usually all working except for parts breaking and I’m waiting for a replacement/time to fit it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve three bikes, all currently in tip top condition. The reason for this is that I’ve only just started riding again after three months recovering from a shoulder op and I needed something to do to keep me sane.

Mrs PJM’s bike is also in top fettle, after a fork rebuild I’ve been putting off for a year and some fine tuning of the shifters.

Stepson 2’s bike needs a brake change – the Avid Juicy on the back is leaky and not playing ball. That’ll be sorted this week.

Good job too – we’re off riding next week!

TimP
    Free Member

1 is rideable (HT), but is waiting for a new BB from Rosebikes as the current one has progressed from creaking to clunking and creaking in the last ride.
    FS has a flat tyre and soggy shock and might have to donate its BB tonight.
    Other hardtail was split to sell but is likely/possibly going to come back as a cargo bike
    Road bike is right at the back of the shed, unrideable right now, but pumping up the tyres is probably all it needs

Waiting to move house when I will have a garage and a lot more space for repairs, get the road bike onto its turbo permanently etc

Onzadog
    Free Member

Normally n,occasionally n-1

z1ppy

3 out of 4, though I just need to get the fork ‘looked at’ on the fourth, money is the only reason it hasn’t been sent away (though the fork on another could also do with some TLC).

TBH this is a normal state of affairs, normally one bike is down awaiting repairs or new parts. Part of the reason why having only 1 bike is rubbish 😉

composite
    Free Member

All steeds in my fleet remain fully functional. Can’t imagine having any in the stable that I can’t use, what point in having a reasonable quiver if they’re not useable!?

This.

weeksy

All of them are immaculate and 100% ready to go. I can’t imagine any other scenario.

This also includes my 3 Yamaha R1’s/.

z1ppy

composite – Member
    All steeds in my fleet remain fully functional. Can’t imagine having any in the stable that I can’t use, what point in having a reasonable quiver if they’re not useable!?

This.

I’m glad your all so well off, I imagine most of us would like all our bikes running, but budgetary constraints don’t always allow it.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Of a 3 bike stable I usually average 2/3, nothing massively wrong with the 1/3 at the moment, waiting on a chain in the post/pads etc

GW
    Free Member

8 in perfect working order, 1 in perfect working order other than the brake calipers/levers are sat in a box. 5min job to fit.

alfabus
    Free Member

all 6 currently ready to go 🙂

3 out of 4 of t’missus bikes are ready to roll, and the other one is missing its rear QR skewer which I may have stolen to put on one of my bikes 😳

Dave

weeksy

I’m glad your all so well off, I imagine most of us would like all our bikes running, but budgetary constraints don’t always allow it.

Earn more or run less bikes or run less crap bikes

dantsw13

Only 2, a Heckler and a C456. Both ready to go. Same discs/brakes/hubs on both, both tubeless so wheels can be swapped in seconds, allowing easy bike/tyre choice for the day!!

Both fully functional – and CLEAN most of the time.

z1ppy

🙄

cheshirecat
    Free Member

All 3 of mine (MTB, Cross and Road) are generally ready to go. I tend to be a little obsessive (like many on here) about having them all available. I have ridden all three in the last week as well.

Family bikes also ready to go, but they get much less use.

cookeaa

Interesting…

For my own part I think the decline in general bike upkeep seems to have come with the onset of children and more the stranglhold that family puts on free time to do the maintenance work, rather than the actual cost, that and I just can’t bring myself (based on personal principle) to throw my bike and a fist full of money at the LBS while bellowing “You Make Work Now!”…

The typical state of affairs in recent months has been that the SS MTB is always working and either the DH MTB or the Geared HT has been functional, but never all three MTBs simultaniously, opening the Garage this morning I had a warm feeling seeing them all lined up together

My BMX hasn’t really been out of comission since purchase ~3.5 years ago and the Road bike was OK until it ate it’s own rear mech last August, I limped home and have done my best to ignore it since, I think I shall have to finally remedy that now…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘How many of your bikes are actually ridable at any one time?’ is closed to new replies.