• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How many non-British based teams have won an F1 Championship?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a trick question to be fair – although the owners of the championship winning teams have come frome all over the world, pretty much all the ones I can think of have been based in the UK!

So who hasn’t? I can only think of one: Ferrari. Which, to be fair, have won an awful lot! 🙂

thejesmonddingo

Ferrari,Maserati,Alfa Romeo,Mercedes,Renault enough for you?

nickc

red bull are officially Austrian.

Matra, Renault have won with teams based in France

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ferrari has more of a U.K. Presence than they’d like many to think, lots of their car is made here.

I’m going to say Jordan?

Gary_C

I’m going to say Jordan?

I’m sure that they were based at Silverstone.

shermer75
    Free Member

Renault

Enstone, Oxfordshire

Mercedes

Brackley, Northamptonshire

Jordan

Yep, Silverstone! And not a winner of a championship 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Oh I was struggling with a race win.

shermer75
    Free Member

Ferrari

Already mentioned

Maserati,Alfa Romeo, original Mercedes

True! All won by Fangio in the 1950s 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

red bull

Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire

shermer75
    Free Member

Matra

Not a Formula 1 champioship winning team that I am aware of…

nickc

Matra won the championship in ’69

Red Bull are built in Britain but officially registered in Austria, but based here, so I guess that doesn’t count

shermer75
    Free Member

Matra won the championship in ’69

Nice! Just looked that up. Won by Jackie Stewart! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Red Bull are built in Britain but officially registered in Austria, but based here, so I guess that doesn’t count

Exactly, I was thinking about what we did well in this country when I started to realise how many F1 teams are based here- even the ones that are owned by companies from all over the world like Force India, Red Bull, Mercedes and Renault 🙂

slowoldman

Ferrari has more of a U.K. Presence than they’d like many to think, lots of their car is made here.

But that wasn’t always the case.

shermer75
    Free Member

I actually think that apart from Ferrari every championship (drivers and constructors) since the 1950s has been won by a team that was based in the UK, in a car that where the chassis at least (and often the engine too!) was designed and manufactured in the UK also. Pretty impressive!! 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Apart from Ferrari cars, the Matra MS80 is the only non-British built car to win the Formula One World Constructors’ Championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matra_MS80

markgraylish
    Free Member

Interesting! I always thought “everything” (meaning major components except maybe electronics) were designed and manufactured in Italy. Any idea what is designed and/or manufactured in the UK?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just because a team is not based in the UK doesn’t mean the UK still isn’t/wasn’t leading things. It’s a pretty incestuous industry. Just because you move from one team to another, and alot of people do, it doesn’t mean you have suddenly unlearned what you’ve learned from the experience and knowledge you gained from the previous team, even if the rules say you have to forget.

Ferrari had won diddly squat for about 26 years or so till Schumacher and team Brawn pitched up, and then they were instantly transformed until……they all left and Ferrari are facing a future in the doldrums yet again. How the mighty fall.

Although the future for a UK dominated F1 looks bleak as it is becoming more and more corporate orientated where an individuals knowledge is less valued. F1 has previously thrived on the ingenuity of a plucky risk-taking engineer-lead individual. The future won’t be the same as corporate rights to IP and technology become the most important thing to them. It’s already become sanitised and will continue to become more and more sanitised. F1 as I remember it is dead. The irony is that we’re probably seeing the best F1 driver the sport has ever seen in Hamilton (arguably obviously), but in it’s most boring and driver levelling heights.

holst
    Free Member

Define “based”. The major departments of an F1 team are the wind tunnel, drivetrain, and carbon fiber fabrication, plus a technical center where the cars are assembled and mechanics based. Drivetrains have been international, but the rest of those things have been dominated by the UK for the last few decades. Still, all the teams will be using components sourced from all over the world these days.

shermer75
    Free Member

Define “based”

As in where their base of operations is. I know what you mean, any modern formula 1 team is very international from the driver line up onwards, but they all have a base, where the 200+ staff work to design, manufacture the chassis, work on strategy etc

holst
    Free Member

but they all have a base, where the 200+ staff work to design, manufacture the chassis, work on strategy etc

Defining “based” as being where the cars are assembled and where the mechanics live is simple enough, but the most important work is done in the wind tunnel, which might be in a different country to where the carbon fiber parts are constructed and bolted together, with the powertrain built elsewhere. Defining where the “design” is done is not so easy. During the John Barnard period, Ferrari’s technical department was split between the UK and Italy.

CaptJon
    Free Member

google ‘motorsport valley’ for more information on how and why the UK has such a dominance in top motorsport.

sbob
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member

Exactly, I was thinking about what we did well in this country…

Whoa, whoa whoa.
    You can’t do that.
    You’ll have your card marked as a jingoistic xenophobe!!! 😯

It is cool watching bits you’ve made whizz past the chequered flag though. 8)

deviant
    Free Member

We should be rightly proud of our composites industry and the fact that ‘foreign’ teams want to be based here and reap the benefits of our expertise in chassis design, aerodynamics etc….you have Colin Chapman (RIP) of Lotus and the legendary Cosworth DFV engine to thank for laying the foundation.

pondo

Not really, he was just one of the first successful products of Britain’s post-war motorsport environment – where the continent had grandee manufacturers, we had little independents racing bike-engined cars around airfields, everything was hand-made and ripe for innovation. That’s why the list of continental winners above are all manufacturers racing to sell cars, whereas for our successful teams, racing was their core business.

jimw
    Free Member

It could be argued that Lancia also won with the D50 when Ferrari took the cars over for the 1956 season

The Alfa 158/9 was one of the most successful F1 cars if you count wins per start, 47 from 54

pondo

It’s already become sanitised and will continue to become more and more sanitised. F1 as I remember it is dead.

If it’s any consolation, people have been saying that for as long as I’ve followed the sport.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How many non-British based teams have won an F1 Championship?’ is closed to new replies.