• This topic has 24 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by khani.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How long does diesel smell for?
  • Kryton57

Short story: I reckon I’ve got some diesel spilt down the back of my engine bay – the car stinks inside at standstill – how long until is burns off / goes away?

Longer story: The car had the alternator changed yesterday, which I’ve read involves removing a fuel filter (ford Kuga TDCi). Either the garage leaked fuel down the back of the engine bay during the process, or I have a sudden fuel leak. I can’t see anything from above but the back of the engine undertray is wet with diesel. Whilst parked, it’s dripped two raindrop size drops in an hour. We’ve just done a 200 mile round trip with no issues on mpg or drive ability, but stop the car at some lights and the diesel fumes entering the cabin are very strong, as was the same in the engine bay once home.

With it being the kiddie carrier I’d rather not its full of fumes.

Any ideas tests would be received with gratitude. I have put some cardboard under to see what appears overnight.

wwaswas

It’s not very volatile so it could be some time. Maybe look at spraying some degreaser on there and rinsing it off (assuming not too many electrics about)?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Just take it back to the garage explain the problem. If there is a leak they can fix it otherwise they’ll be cleaning the engine bay.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If it still smells i suggest its still leaking.

It should not be smelling after a good run.

spooky_b329

Another vote for still leaking.

Kryton57

Arse.

v8ninety

I second third trailrat’s opinion.

Kryton57

I’m assuming it’s not really safe to be driving around in?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Diesel smells for ages, especially if it’s on the undertray or something acoustic, as that could well be made of a semi porous/slightly absorbent stuff. Or at least it’ll hold onto the liquid for ages.

TBH, I’d still get the garage to look at it. If it’s a leak, they need to fix it, if they have soaked some acoustic matting (some undertrays, especially on diesels serve both purposes, aerodynamics and sound deadening), they need to fix that too.

CountZero

I’m assuming it’s not really safe to be driving around in?

Should be fine, other than the smell, it’s oil, after all, and not volatile. It won’t/can’t combust like petrol, it just makes things oily and stinky.

poly
    Free Member

Although you will,be leaving an oil slick trail everywhere which is at least slightly Dangerous for other people.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

other than the smell, it’s oil, after all, and not volatile

You need to reassess that. What exactly do you think you’re smelling that isn’t volatile?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Leaking diesel all over the road? No motorcyclist is going to be bothered by that.

timber

Back to the garage for them to rectify if it wasn’t there before. No one is going to appreciate the diesel slick trail.
    If it has soaked into anything soft, it’ll be staying there.

Kryton57

See post no 1 – 2 drips per hour won’t be trouble many people.

Regardless, I’ll be popping it around to said garage tomorrow.

Kryton57

Well, its been checked over. No leaks, but a small pool of diesel was collected on the top of the undertray which they’ve cleaned up.

They did admit – & apologise – for it being a messy job – as above the fuel filter needed disconnecting so it was bled etc.

My cardboard test has revealed a pool of diesel about the size of my thumbnail had occurred overnight…

*shrugs*

njee20
    Free Member

Sounds like a leak…

Kryton57

Sounds like a leak

Well, its been checked over. No leaks,

?

A leek, earlier tomorrow on February 31st:

avdave2

I got a pair of jeans covered in diesel when a pump auto stop failed. I think it was 3 washes and a month or two hanging up in the shed before they were wearable again.

dti

spilt red diesel in the boot of the car ,smell lasted for 6-8 weeks , really strong for the first 4.

tillydog
    Free Member

…pair of jeans covered in diesel when a pump auto stop failed. I think it was 3 washes and a month or two hanging up in the shed before they were wearable again

spilt red diesel in the boot of the car ,smell lasted for 6-8 weeks , really strong for the first 4.

FWIW: Enzyme based ‘pet odour neutraliser’ works well on diesel spilt onto fabric – just spray in on and leave it and the diesel smell is gone in a day or so.

It must be the stuff with enzymes in – e.g: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/simple-solution-stain-and-odour-remover-750ml

(Former boat owner)

badllama
    Free Member

lol I remember filling a Hi Lux many moons ago from our company bulk tank ducked underneath the pipe to get something from the house and got up too soon even with a shower and binning all my clothes I think it was 2 weeks before I stopped smelling of diesel of course I could not smell it as I lived with it constantly, but everyone else could lol 🙂

khani
    Free Member

After twenty years of owning diesels I’ve just got a petrol and it’s a joy not to be bothered with gloves and putting up with the stink when a bit spills or gets on your hands..
    This and the lower cost push the ten mpg difference in economy into don’t GAF territory 😀

kaya
    Free Member

Moving south has turned you soft…

Happy New Year from the shire 😆

khani
    Free Member

Watch it, I’m on my second shandy and I’ll tek y’all on..
    Happy new year big V 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How long does diesel smell for?’ is closed to new replies.