Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How long before my dog accepts a new puppy?
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Bought the wife a puppy yesterday, and our 3 year old Westie is a bit snappy towards her.. Not going for her, but growlin towards her..she's nowt but happy towards to him.

I'm guesing this is normal?

How long might it last before he accepts her?

I know "how long is a piece of string etc.."

But just help me put the Wife's mind at rest..

Oh, and how do yer stop her trying to eat her own sh1t??? 😯

skidartist
    Free Member

Oh, and how do yer stop her trying to eat her own sh1t???

Can't comment on your wife's toilet habits.

But when there are new dogs in the household you do get a lot of growly, snappy action. Its part of the pecking order establishment I guess, but its probably also just play, even if it sounds aggressive, and can sometime look pretty violent but no actual harm is being done. My folks have a young and an old springer, they will occationally seem to knock seven bells out of each other and seconds later will be curled up together asleep. Keep a close eye but it should all be noise and no action.

willard

It's been six weeks of new puppy at home here, and the boys are pretty much settled. Ralph (puppy) still tries like hell to annoy Ted (2 years old) and Ted does get wound up by him, but the two of them generally get on.

I even have photos of them being cute and adorable together, but not many.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

As skid says, it's all part of establishing hierarchy. They normally work it out within a couple of weeks.
    Try not to intervene, unless it becomes physical, and don't punish your older dog for it, it's natural behaviour and will only prolong the process.

brakes
    Free Member

we had a grumpy 9 yr old westie and got a new pup as we thought it might cheer him up a bit. the old one used to growl and snap and pup used to scream and yelp like he'd been shot, but there was never a scratch on him. the pup used to pester the old one to play until he gave in, they carried on like that for years.

druidh
    Free Member

Try chopping it up into smaller chunks.

69er
    Free Member

It won't take long, just let them estblish a hierarchy without your interference and everything'll be fine. Sit back!

We've just introduced our 9 year old lurcher to a Jack Russell and a new kitten. The puppy didn't take long *SNARL GROWL WOOF!, I'M THE BOSS* Kitten is taking a bit longer…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How long before my dog accepts a new puppy?’ is closed to new replies.