Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 265 total)
  • How exactly have humanity been fooled into thinking that?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

Yeah, letter box, doors, windows, I have some insulation under my flooring, green reasonably thick.

kaesae
    Free Member

So any cheap insulation shit for sale anywhere, or do I need to start another thread? doesn’t stoner have some kind of furnice?

donsimon
    Free Member

doesn’t stoner have some kind of furnice?

But this is a thread about saving the environment though, isn’t it?
    http://www.biomasscenter.org/resources/fact-sheets/fse-biomass-emissions.html 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Insulating under floor is good. And something a lot of people don’t think of.

But sealing the edges of the flooring to Walls will make a big difference (there are normally large air gaps)

You can do this from underneath with expanding foam if there is space to move around, otherwise taking off the skirting boards and doing it from above, then replacing skirting is a good option.

donsimon
    Free Member

Not really sure where the other thread went but someone mentioned heavy curtains. If you use heavy curtain, don’t close them during the day on windows that receive direct sunlight. You want the solar heat gain in the winter, but keep them closed during hours of darkness to keep the heat in.
    I also mentioned on the other thread secondary glazing, which is pretty effective for not too much money.

kaesae
    Free Member

All of these new technologies are rubbish, we need something a lot more advanced than that, burning wood 😯

What on earth are you on about now?

donsimon
    Free Member

All of these new technologies are rubbish, we need something a lot more advanced than that, burning wood

You are making it quite difficult to help with statements like this. A liitle more detail would help in providing you with a solution. There are some very knowledgeable people in these parts on this subject.

kaesae
    Free Member

It’s simple I would like to build some form of engine that will give me free energy, or something a bit more advanced that a glorified furnice. We also need to get rid of the nuclear power stations, japan has shown us just how much of a liability they are.

By burning all the trees?

kaesae
    Free Member

So lots of smart people on here, there is a form of magnet called neodimium, it is very powerful and has the potential to generate a good amount of energy, the question then becomes, is it possible to harness this energy?

donsimon
    Free Member

In spite of the consume less argument for saving the planet, which I believe is the reason for this thread, you want to follow the line of producing more to satisfy the ever increasing consumption, something that you disagree with.
    Your other thread equally suggests that you’re only interested in saving money and not the planet, so it now becomes more difficult to help.
    Have a bit of a read on Passiv haus design to see the direction we need to be thinking.
    Homemade Heath Robinson contraptions is not the solution and it’s a very strange solution from an eco-warrior like yourself.

nealglover
    Free Member

Kaesae, as don simon has said.

You seem to have missed the point 😕

You started the thread by ranting about people consuming too much and armageddon etc (a totally ineffective way of changing things, hence my earlier comments)

Now, despite having it explained, you are talking about producing power with some sort of magic engine, to satisfy an unnecessarily need for power.

It really isn’t hard to make a house energy efficient, to the point that it needs very little in the way of energy to keep it running. Its not free, but then again, neither is the research and development for magic engines.
    And the magic engine won’t be free either.

Let’s imagine Neodymium magnets are capable of powering the world…..

Then you would mass scale mining of Iron, Boron and Neodymium.
    China would become the equivalent of the current oil rich nations.

Nothing much changes, the problem stays the same (or similar) mining a finite resource to produce power, for people who use too much power.

takisawa2

Kaesae, back to your point about weather patterns, will it start today because I’ve just hung the washing out…?

kaesae
    Free Member

don simon – Member

In spite of the consume less argument for saving the planet, which I believe is the reason for this thread, you want to follow the line of producing more to satisfy the ever increasing consumption, something that you disagree with.
    Your other thread equally suggests that you’re only interested in saving money and not the planet, so it now becomes more difficult to help.
    Have a bit of a read on Passiv haus design to see the direction we need to be thinking.
    Homemade Heath Robinson contraptions is not the solution and it’s a very strange solution from an eco-warrior like yourself.

Posted 32 minutes ago #Report-Post

nealglover – Member

Kaesae, as don simon has said.

You seem to have missed the point

You started the thread by ranting about people consuming too much and armageddon etc (a totally ineffective way of changing things, hence my earlier comments)

Now, despite having it explained, you are talking about producing power with some sort of magic engine, to satisfy an unnecessarily need for power.

It really isn’t hard to make a house energy efficient, to the point that it needs very little in the way of energy to keep it running. Its not free, but then again, neither is the research and development for magic engines.
    And the magic engine won’t be free either.

Let’s imagine Neodymium magnets are capable of powering the world…..

Then you would mass scale mining of Iron, Boron and Neodymium.
    China would become the equivalent of the current oil rich nations.

Nothing much changes, the problem stays the same (or similar) mining a finite resource to produce power, for people who use too much power.

Posted 12 minutes ago #Report-Post

So if we all insulate our houses and make then energy efficient that will be enough to rectify the current situation we find ourselves in 😯 D’oh!

I have said all along and on many threads that effective efficient manangement of resources is vital.

That doesn’t mean I don’t want to save money on heating my flat or that given the opertunity to work with other members of this forum I wouldn’t gladly have a go at creating an engine to produce energy.

It is absurd to hear individuals claiming that technological advancement is not essential to the survival of our race!

donsimon
    Free Member

That doesn’t mean I don’t want to save money on heating my flat or that given the opertunity to work with other members of this forum I wouldn’t gladly have a go at creating an engine to produce energy.

I wish you luck then.

kaesae
    Free Member

It will take more than luck simone, it would take a conscious revolution 😉

I find that when I smoke crack, I’m not overly bothered about having the heating on.

kaesae
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

I find that when I smoke crack, I’m not overly bothered about having the heating on.

Must be handy having a mother that deals it 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

It will take more than luck simone, it would take a conscious revolution

There’s gratitude for you!

nealglover
    Free Member

I thought we were actually getting somewhere, but it seems that you would rather rant.

We simply can’t meet the targets in 2016 and 2050 without changing domestic energy attitudes and usage.
    So why not start there ?

It will also make the output specs for your “magic engine” a lot easier to reach.

Option A – I could power my house for a month on roughly £5/£10 of diesel in a generator (depending on temp)

Option B – Before my changes it would have used that in a couple of days.

Which option would you rather design an alternative power source for ????

Let me know when you finish your magic engine.

kaesae – Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Must be handy having a mother that deals it

Oh dear.

teasel
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime – Member

The difficult truth is that OUR way of living is unsustainable – it’s too resource intensive and too polluting to continue – if you are relying on having everything you have now in the future then you are deluded. If you really want to do something for yourself then you should follow the likes of Edukator and ween yourself off stuff you don’t need now while you can do it painlessly instead of waiting for it to be taken away. Living with less isn’t about being virtuous, it’s about being resilient and protecting yourself from inevitable future shock.

100% agree and couldn’t have put it better myself. Complacency is quite rife due to the levels of comfort we’ve become accustomed to because everything we need and most of what we want is easy to obtain.

kaesae
    Free Member

I agree, we are too focused on the smaller picture and not on the larger one, our future!

I agree, at some point in my future I will get a bigger tv – sorted

franksinatra

What a load of bilge. Sounds like a few people on here could do with getting out on their bikes a bit more.

Given that everybody on here is (probably) a mountain biker, can I recommend going out for ride rather than engaging in pointless arguments with strangers on the internet?

I went for a ride round Inners this morning, very nice it was too. Why not give it a go?

donsimon
    Free Member

What a load of bilge

Well, thanks for that, most informative.

nealglover
    Free Member

kaesae – Member
    I agree, we are too focused on the smaller picture and not on the larger one, our future!

Sounds very much like a political soundbite.

Meaning it sounds good on the surface, but doesn’t actually mean a lot as it very vague.

I have given you reasons why focusing on the “small picture” leads to changes that effect the “bigger picture”

But you seem happier ignoring that, and inventing pointless future technologies that aren’t needed.

I’ll leave you to it.

You seem to happy enough not listening to advice anyway.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

have a go at creating an engine to produce energy.

Engines don’t produce energy, they convert it into some sort of useful work.

Apart from wind, solar and hydro you can’t get any energy for free, and even then ‘free’ is a very slippery concept.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think I’ve seen the future.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po7B4q73Bus[/video]
    And it’s not the electric car… 😀

Northwind

kaesae – Member

It’s simple I would like to build some form of engine that will give me free energy,

Simple:

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I suspect that kaesae is a bot.

They’re just trying it out on here to iron out a few wrinkles before letting it go on the Guardian CIF boards.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Neodimium makes good magnets, but it’s not a fuel. You cant burn it or decay it to release usable energy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would like to build some form of engine that will give me free energy

there some serious laws of thermodynamics you need to violate …good luck
    think about it a fuel-less engine that gives power HOW?
    Perpetual motion machines dont exist and sustainable power options involve the splitting of atoms which we can only achieve [ for energy purposes] with nuclear reactions…even then they are not fuel free we just have a plentiful supply of fuel.

nealglover
    Free Member

Junkyard, don’t ruin it.

I was looking forward to the 1st draft of the plans being posted.

An engine that runs on naive dreams and puts out limitless energy and the only byproduct is kittens.

IanMunro
    Free Member

In other news –

“The first man I saw was of a meagre aspect, with sooty hands and face, his hair and beard long, ragged, and singed in several places. His clothes, shirt, and skin, were all of the same colour. He has been eight years upon a project for extracting sunbeams out of cucumbers, which were to be put in phials hermetically sealed, and let out to warm the air in raw inclement summers. He told me, he did not doubt, that, in eight years more, he should be able to supply the governor’s gardens with sunshine, at a reasonable rate: but he complained that his stock was low”

CountZero

kaesae, there are plenty of people out there working on alternative power sources that actually work, unlike wind power, which is intermittent at best.
    Large scale wave power is one possibility, but comes with environmental issues itself, like the Severn Barrage, that would cause huge problems for the flocks of migrant birds that use the estuary, and the added problem of silting that is likely to occur.
    Nuclear power has issues, but not insurmountable, but fusion is the best hope for clean power generation. Neodymium magnets are used in wind turbines, and the quarrying of the rare earths has lead to enormous environmental damage in China.
    Li Ion batteries are used in electric vehicles, supposedly environmentally friendly, but the materials required to make such batteries have caused enormouse environmental damage in South America. And you need to generate large amounts of electricity to charge the batteries to power the vehicle that may only take you eighty miles before needing recharging.
    I can get five hundred miles out of a tank of diesel before refilling. Electric cars also need the battery packs replaced every few years, like mobile phones do, at a considerable cost to the owner; would you appreciate buying a petrol car for ten thousand pounds, then be told you have to replace its engine after four years and it’ll cost you four thou?
    Didn’t think so.
    There’s a cost attached to everything. ‘Environmentally friendly’ is a deceptive term.

teasel
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member

What a load of bilge. Sounds like a few people on here could do with getting out on their bikes a bit more.

Given that everybody on here is (probably) a mountain biker, can I recommend going out for ride rather than engaging in pointless arguments with strangers on the internet?

Posts like that always give rise to a little chuckle. I guess the irony of your words was lost on you, Frankie Boy, else you probably wouldn’t have hit the ‘send post’ button, eh…

kaesae
    Free Member

You don’t get energy from nothing with neodymium, it’s the conflict between the two magnetic fields that create the energy, think of it as magnetic constrictor technology.

Anyway funding for a project like that would take a good amount and I’m developing my tooling then some hubs for myself as well as other stuff.

However since some smart people have turned up and some of the original intelligent people are still around as well as the others.

Why has no one created an engine using a steam powered turbine, if you used gas to heat the initial core turbine and then had an outer shell with a secondary turbine system that abosrbed as much heat as possible, you could then also run a dynamo coolant system in the outer secondary system and cause a vacuum, the engine would not be perfect, but it would be a lot more efficient than a lot of engines available just now.

Would this style of engine work?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

ok here goes the flaming,
    kaesae if your interested in magnetism look at the bedini motor. if your looking for a ‘free’ energy generator there is interesting stuff with on-demand hydrogen generation for internal combustion engines. ive personally had very limited results ie 5% inc in fuel efficiencies.
    there are people claiming that introducing a cold vapour from a fogger along with a browns gas mix (hydrogen/oxygen mix from electrolysis) into a diesel results in generators running as steam engines with little/no hydrocarbon fuel introduced but iv no personal experience of this. im just too busy keeping my head above water at the mo to be experimenting

dont forget though, all these systems are from people experimenting in their garages so verification is impossible.

i would suggest looking at the yahoo group’s hydroxy forum and such, maybe start with http://free-energy-info.co.uk/ but be aware there is chaff and wheat and peoples ‘discoveries’ published on the internet should be taken with a pinch of salt.

that said in a council flat none of these could be applied to you and please dont go mental with explosive gasses in a shared building. so as above get a mastic gun and as much insulation as you can afford and do what you can.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘How exactly have humanity been fooled into thinking that?’ is closed to new replies.