Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How easy is it to re-locate?
  • lyons
    Free Member

Right, I've been living in the south east for 23 years (my whole life), and really feel it's time for a change. I would love to move to the south west, wales, Manchester/sheffield etc. Basically anywhere with bigger hills!

But, Im in a bit of debt and self employed. So I would need to find work where i'd be moving to, enough to justify packing up and moving away. i think this would be quite hard to do… Has anyone managed to split time between places? So looking for work in say, Sheffield and when i had some staying in a youth hostel, or tent in the summer, and still renting down south? Then hopefully I'd get enough to live there full time?

I know this doesnt really make sense, but does anyone have any tips?

grantway
    Free Member

Friend moved out of London to South Coast
    He just used his skills to get work.
    Its never easy but you build up your work.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get a job somewhere then move there, doubt it's practical any other way.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I relocated but only with the offer of a job. Not sure I'd risk it without. Even if it were a "normal" job until I could get my original job back on its feet. In fact I was shocked as to how easily and readily I did relocate, and I was happy where I was. I'm now just as happy but in different surroundings!

fontmoss
    Free Member

assuming you get job etc in place (and i would tbh) then it can still be pretty tough emotionally and mentally if dont have friends or family there already. my advice would be get as much in place first and even then be prepared for a stretch of 'have i done the right thing?' but push through

molgrips
    Free Member

Look for jobs, interview, get job, move.

If you are self employed, make sure there's work where you want to go, maybe get some jobs and travel a lot at first, then move.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye would echo that, depends on your personality tho, I found it tough when I've done it.

mogrim

You're only 23, why are you limiting yourself to other bits of the UK? What job are you likely to be looking for, anyway?

SaxonRider

+1 on looking for a job first. And local bike shops. They'll be a way to building up your sense of being part of a community.

miketually
    Free Member

If you've no dependants, just save up a little cash and then move.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Get the job first then youll feel sttled quicker and will also have some mates and contacts instead of moving somewhere and being lonely

Sorry that sounds really depressing

Ive moved a few times usually following work
    Its tough being in a new place and having someone to talk to at work at least helps

Go for it!

starseven
    Free Member

You know I never understood why people stay in sh*thole towns.

Just move, your better off poor somewhere decent than not quite as poor some where cr*p.

Give yourself a chance, sooner the better.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i've done it a few times and found it tough. Lack of friends is the main problem. You meet people cycling and working, but i never really developed the same level of friendship that i had with people i've known from school or university days. Its partly down to luck as well, how sociable the job happens to be etc..

cheers_drive

TBH unless you have a mortgage, parter, kids etc it's not really a big deal. I did it 4 times before settling in Bristol. All the moves came about through a combination of not liking my job and not feeling seetled where I lived. Always sorted out a job beforehand though.
    Find a job or move your self employed business and do it now, the older you get the harder it is as everyone settles down around you.

lyons
    Free Member

Well, I'm an electrician, and i think i would find it hard to get a job working for someone else at the moment. If anyone knows of any though…

I said the u.k, purely because i still have a bit of debt ( well, 5 grand) and it would be hard to save enough money to move abroad, never mind keep paying those debts…

I've thought about the whole lack of knowing people thing, but hey, if i really dont like it, I can allways move back. Hmm, got some thinking to do.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I relocated to Edinburgh when I was 30. No great problems doing so. I had to work at it to build a circle of friends but I have made some very good friends here now.

I would try to get some work first or have a bit of money behind you

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I keep thinking about doing this, work offshore so can live anywhere really.
    Have a lot to leave behind, but I'd love to live somewhere the riding is better and the people are nicer.

clubber
    Free Member

I moved from London to Bristol 7 years ago though i wasn't alone as my wife came too. We had considered moving to Edinburgh with my job but didn't fancy it having been there a few times.

I got a job before the move while my wife got one once here. It was tricky at times but we soon
    made friends (sports are a great way to do this) and we're really happy here. Best decision we made really.

skidartist
    Free Member

If you are self employed then in time the various encounters you make through work are where your friendships come from, pretty much my whole social circle is made up of people I've worked with or people I've worked for.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How easy is it to re-locate?’ is closed to new replies.