Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • How do you service your Pro II Evo Freehub?
  • endurokid
    Free Member

I’m sure many on here won’t service there’s, but if you do please help.

I bought a Pro II Evo bearing support tool so I could service my freehub as one of the bearings needed replacing, and here lies the problem.

When trying to press in the new bearing I found that the diameter of the tool was slightly too big therefore I could not press the bearing properly in to the freehub. I got around this by placing the old bearing on top of the new, thus stopping the tool from entering, or getting stuck in the freehub.

I have watched the Hope video and it appears they use a Pro 3 tool to press in the bearings so I guess the diameter must be different.

I emailed Hope to ask why my tool won’t fit and they replied saying that the tool is for the hub only and not the freehub, and that I should use a socket to install the bearings, but surely I would still have the same problem?

What do people do to get around this as I don’t want to spend another £14 buying the Pro 3 tool which appears to work.

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

and that I should use a socket to install the bearings, but surely I would still have the same problem?

Not if you use the right size socket! It needs to be fractionally smaller then the bearing and use the top of it, where the ratchet clips in, as it’s got more surface area. Use a vice as a press if you can rather then a hammer as it’s gentler and keeps everything closer to parallel.

endurokid
    Free Member

Would a socket not be too short?

I.E. If I dropped in the bearing then the socket I wouldn’t be able to actually press in the bearing, if that makes sense?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No. Not a deep reach socket…..
    Not trying to be smug but I’ve done it dozens of times. 🙂

mudmonster
    Free Member

Thought the support tool was for the hub shell. I just decided to buy the proper tools as I didn’t wanna risk it with sockets. Sawed the tip off a large screwdriver to make a bearing punch. Did the front hub fine, attempting the rear this weekend.

Poopscoop

I will confess to having the proper tools as it makes it so easy but it can be done using a few “bodged up” tools. Sockets etc.

I’m just gradually trying to get all the proper tools to work on my bikes. Sick and tired of always having to make do and make easy jobs time consuming.

That’s just me though, hope you get it sorted mate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m with ya endurokid, if their gonna sell you a bunch of overpriced lumps of mild steel, they could at least give you the whole bloody lot!. Does my head in, every time I do it I make a note to myself to get one made up at work that’s the right size, but I never do. I could also do with drilling them out now as well, due to the bigger axle, but not done that either!. 😆

Edit – don’t punch bearings in with a modified screwdriver, they really don’t like focused axial loads like that, get a bit of threaded rod and either a socket or big was here’s and draw them in.

mudmonster
    Free Member

The screwdriver is to get them out.

StirlingCrispin
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No it doesn’t – that’s the kit the OP is talking about. It only has the sized shafts to press in the bearings in the hubs, not the free hub bearings.

StirlingCrispin

Oh – how do I get my free hub bearings in then?

Wanders off to shed to check….

endurokid
    Free Member

This was the response from Hope when I queried why my bearing support tool wouldn’t fit my freehub:

“Hi, that tool is just for the actual hub shell and not the freehub. We don’t make a specific tool for the freehub unfortunately

I know it sounds strange, but we have never made a specific tool for public purchase. We have tools here for us to assemble the hubs but non to sell. You can use the correct diameter socket that will do the job fine. Hope that helps”

I thought the beauty of Hope was their simplicity and simple servicing.

I’ve pressed in the bearing at the end of the freehub using the old bearing but it’s the internal one I’ll struggle with in the future, but watching their online video it appears the Pro 3 tool will fit inside the freehub.

jam-bo

how is a socket and vice not simple?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

how is a socket and vice not simple

How is selling a kit that ‘includes everything’ not simple? 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

How is selling a kit that ‘includes everything’ not simple?

Got to agree. I do love hope but this defies logic. If someone wants a kit so that they can change their bearings, then bloody well sell a kit that does it!
    One of the product managers needs to have a word with themselves.

endurokid
    Free Member

A socket would be simple, but why use a socket when a tool should be readily available?

I like to do things properly and use the correct tools, hence why I have a Hope tool to remove/replace my BB bearings and I also have the tool to properly refit the freehub.

Just seems like Hope are missing a trick as by the responses here I’m sure the correct tool would sell very well.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Not watched the video in a while but it looks like he’s using the same tool for the freehub. Will have to watch the video again. Will watch the mbr video as well.

endurokid
    Free Member

Definitely uses the same tool, and I’m positive it’s the Pro 3 tool, but please correct me if I’m wrong as I’m thinking of buying it to add to my ever growing collection of hope tools!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Common misconception. Even with the proper tools (bearing presses etc) it’s quicker, cheaper and simpler to service Shimano cup and cone, which requires 2 spinners, a blob of grease and £1 worth of bearings.

thegreatape
    Free Member

So just to double check, as it’s a little confusing, the Pro 2 Evo tool kit they sell you, with five bits in, does not have the bit you need to refit bearings into your freehub?

mudmonster
    Free Member

My (complete?) set of presses has a seal tool, 2 for the front hub and a drive and non drive press for the rear hub.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, that’s all it contains. As I said earlier, the rear tool is only good for inserting one bearing, as once you fit the 142×12 axle the tool doesn’t fit over it. Needs bored out.

endurokid
    Free Member

The tool I bought only has two parts, a small part for the ‘non-drive side’ and a longer part for the ‘drive side’. Although I only bought the rear tool, as opposed to the whole set, but I did assume this would work with the freehub after watching the video on the Hope website.

Hope told me they do not sell to the public a tool to press in the freehub bearings and that I should use a socket to do this, so I’m not sure what these tools are that contain 5 parts?

Unless as per above its as follows:

– Seal Tool
    – 2 front the front hub
    – Non drive side
    – Drive side

But no press for the freehub?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, that’s what you get.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s dumb. While it’s clear that the hub support thing is extra, you are given to understand, especially from the video, that you get everything you need to actually change all the bearings in your hubs. A pedant will of course say you do, but I think most people would consider the freehub part of the hub.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s ridiculous. If you are going to use a socket to press in one bearing, you may as well just use a socket for all of them!

endurokid
    Free Member

I’m glad that other people share my view on this!!!

I know its only £14, but after buying the tool I thought I would be able to service the WHOLE hub!!

Its madness that you’re expected to use a socket to service the freehub.

steel4real
    Free Member

Think it’s the tool ‘HTT180’ for freehub bearings ? (It also does pro 3 bearings)

But the latest version of the HTT182 should have one end with a reduced diameter for the freehub ?

endurokid
    Free Member

HTT180 – Pro 3
    HTT182 – Pro II Evo

I have the latter of the two, but it appears the reduced diameter end doesn’t fit on the outer bearing shell, i.e. it sits on the black seal, unless I’ve got this wrong?

But if this tool (HTT182) with the reduced diameter is supposed to be for the freehub why are Hope telling me it’s for the hub only and they don’t supply an aftermarket freehub bearing tool? Doesn’t make sense really, you think one tool would do the whole lot.

Or maybe, just maybe, I’m the ‘tool’ and I’m doing it wrong!!

mudmonster
    Free Member

On the mbr video, Al uses the axle to get the bearing in.

endurokid
    Free Member

Another option of install then, but this will only work if you have the axle out, and I suppose you may not need to remove the axle if you’re simply replacing the freehub bearings.

I think the best solution appears to be the Pro 3 tool, or the good old socket!

dannyh
    Free Member

Common misconception. Even with the proper tools (bearing presses etc) it’s quicker, cheaper and simpler to service Shimano cup and cone, which requires 2 spinners, a blob of grease and £1 worth of bearings.

Yes – but you need the touch of a safe-breaker to get the adjustment spot on. At least with Hope you can just whack things together.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Used to do the bearings in my Pro 2 in 20 minutes, not using one socket. Sockets can damage the seals, they also allow hamfisted fitting of bearings at angles damaging the hubs. I used to do it with large washers , a large bolt and nut the washers to compress the bearings in. You made sure it was straight, no wielding of hammers and they always seemed smoother for precision fitting. Shame the hubs were crap and saw the light and got rid of them. Seems the Pro 4’s have just as crap sealing on them again, which causes the bearings to rot and grumble in the first place.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Took the bearings out of my hub. Feel really smooth after over 2 years of riding 9 hours a day in all weathers. Think I’ll put them back in and check in another year. Not gonna touch the freehub.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes – but you need the touch of a safe-breaker to get the adjustment spot on.

Nahhh. A bit of practice and it’s a two minute job at the outside. I’ll grant you that holding the opposite locknut in a vice makes it far easier to get small accurate adjustments done in seconds though.

endurokid
    Free Member

After a brief exchange of emails with Hope a Pro 3 bearing tool arrived in the post, FOC.

I knew there was a reason why I buy Hope.

Top guys.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘How do you service your Pro II Evo Freehub?’ is closed to new replies.