Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • How do you dig deep?
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

You know, when the wind is howling, the rain lashing and you have a monster climb before you are home. Or you have hit the wall, cold tired etc. What do you do to pull through, focus or whatever.

Reason I ask I had this moment this evening. Kept thinking of the shower, sofa and then whiskey in front of the fire. I am now in front of the fire. Love it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I can’t afford a taxi.
    I have no one to call to pick me up.
    I can’t walk more than about 2 miles.

jota180
    Free Member

I tend to avoid such situations these days but in the past visualising a hot, soapy tit **** kept my mind off the misery 🙂

legend
    Free Member

At the moment I tend to get angry with myself, however from now on I’m going to be adopting jota’s hot, soapy tit **** technique:)

hammy7272
    Free Member

Lol. Next time I’m struggling that thought will appear in my mind now. Nice. Cheers.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I tend to avoid such situations these days but in the past visualising a hot, soapy tit **** kept my mind off the misery

That was inspired! ….and really made me chuckle…..right, back the ‘I’m so wired’…context 🙄

chvck
    Free Member

+1. Just. Keep. Going.

captmorgan
    Free Member

TBH Robert Paulson doesn’t float my boat but each to there own likes

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bigger spade

joat

You are King of that hill. Everyone else is a wimp for not being there. Then just laugh at the absurdity of it all. Many people have made it through far worse adverse situations. It’s not that bad. Just keep turning those legs. More random thoughts… Oh look I’m nearly home.

richmars

I just think that the faster I go, the quicker I’ll finish. If I stop, that just delays getting home.

jota180
    Free Member

right, back the ‘I’m so wired’…context

Not with you there, sorry

firestarter
    Free Member

I joined the army at 16 and had digging deep beaten into me by my big hairy welsh guards rsm

lucien

Suitcase full of courage?

simmy
    Free Member

Cake

brakes
    Free Member

Last time I had this was when I was 110 miles into a 150 mile ride and hadn’t slept for 24 hours.
    I was driven on by the fact that the sooner I got home the less of a bollocking I’d get from the Mrs.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

With a shovel.

edhornby

I swear at myself

I channel Jens Voight

‘Come on F##ker, you’re in charge, get that ###king bike up the road and stop being a Nancy’ you know that sort of thing

TimothyD
    Free Member

I used to kind of go into a neutral blank mindset and keep pedalling, and detach myself from the suffering. Recently for ‘life stuff’ I’ve found Grrrr seems to work pretty well. You can’t have too much Grrrr 😉

TimothyD
    Free Member

Main thing is to not think about the cold and tiredness and the wind, your body and DNA aren’t going to let you slump in a heap while out riding I don’t suppose, unless you bonk I guess. For that there’s Jelly Babies. 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I used to kind of go into a neutral blank mindset and keep pedalling, and detach myself from the suffering.

Same, I completely zone out.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I picture the summer miles and absolutely ripping the legs off everyone I know on any given climb because I’ve been out all winter and in all weathers, suffering, putting in the miles while they were sat indoors getting weaker. It doesn’t necesarily work by the time the Summer comes around but who cares by then, it’s Summer, everything’s great and all the pain is forgotten.

TimothyD
    Free Member

If it’s sleeting and dark cycling back to Sheffield from near Burbage I zone out, it’s kind of bleak in that situation so there doesn’t seem like there’s very much else to do I guess, where sliding around in snow calls for a different kind of digging deep, a bit more ‘grrrr’ than zoning out.

theotherjonv

I think of my dad going through his next chemo. His constant sickness, absolute fatigue, but knowing he can’t stop because quitting means giving up for good. And I think that no matter how shit I feel, it’s nothing in comparison, and above all I’m here because I want to be.

And I know I’m made out of bits of him, and I know for that reason I can go on. It’s only a bike ride, it’s not serious.
    Chapeau Dad. Almost a year done since. Keep kicking it’s arse.

badnewz
    Free Member

Get off and push.

avdave2

I think about my great great uncle Henry Bowers walking across Antarctica with Cherry Garrard and Wilson in the middle of winter on almost total darkness to collect penguin eggs. And then as if having completed “The Worst Journey In The World” he wasn’t enough he went on to meet his end on the pole journey while never once making any complaint about what they endured.

teamslug
    Free Member

” shut up legs”

weeksy

I use my old picture of myself to mentally scald myself with things like “listen you don’t want to be that fat **$*%*%*$ again do you “

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wow, some of you think too much.

Relax the shoulders, straighten your back, stretch out, lift that furrowd brow, drop your jaw and then smile. Pace off, roll out for a couple of hundred meters whilst doing all of this then pace back on again.

rocketman
    Free Member

What doesn’t kill you etc

Lifer
    Free Member

“It’s not gonna get any warmer if I slow down”

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s not gonna get any warmer if I slow down

and, remembering previous against-all-odds conquerings of hills and rain.

yunki
    Free Member

I had to dig deep last night..

I was just basking in the warm afterglow of a very satisfying soapy tit ****, when I noticed we were out of wine and fags..
    The 24 hour garage near me stops serving booze at midnight and I had about 7 minutes to get there..

I made it with two minutes to spare 😀

jameso

“Stop whinging. Joe Simpson made it so what’s your problem?”

klumpy
    Free Member

That’s a hell of a change you made there weeksy.

(You’re the one on the right, yeah..?)

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I think of my late best friend and riding buddy giving me s*** and buzzing my back wheel, I can often hear him in my head when out on rides, it always makes me smile widely and push like f***.

badnewz
    Free Member

Nice one Weeksey.
    I have the same Before and After photos, except they are in the opposite order.

scaredypants

Yunki – must’ve been all that stretching you did to perform the “soapy” beforehand

impressive, all the same

antigee

theotherjonv – Member
    I think of my dad going through his next chemo………..

and that is the difference between digging deep because you have to rather than you want to I guess

I find remembering all the times I’ve been pretty all in and still made it help – shuts out negatives

Hermann Buhl was my inspiration when I was younger – used to keep his biography in my desk draw at work to remind what life was really all about

BigDummy
    Free Member

I find I can pull objects towards me by staring at them really hard. That, and relaxing the shoulders as bikebuoy says.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How do you dig deep?’ is closed to new replies.