• This topic has 32 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How do I get notifications when someone replies to my forum posts?
  • Chipbutty
    Free Member

As I said in title. I cannot find anything in settings to turn notifications on for replies to my posts. Surely there must be a way other than having to keep,going back to my posts every now and then.

Thanks

CB

Jamie
    Free Member

Currently there is nothing like that available.

Hopefully when the new forum is implemented in 2011, extra features may be added.

Somebody will be along shortly to say they have never needed such a function, so therefore your need is invalid.

scaredypants

you can do RSS feeds for each thread

… but I don’t know what that means 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    khani
    Free Member

Notifiwotsits? there don’t be non of that newfangledness round ere..

nickdavies

Download an RSS reader, and copy the URL above the reply box ‘RSS feed for this topic’
    Post that link into the RSS reader.

Or just browse the forum till you find the thread.. 😉

Or post on it, then search for your posts.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Back in my day, we had a box to tick for that sort of thing

JEngledow
    Free Member

Hopefully when the new forum is implemented in 2011

😆

project
    Free Member

Due to the current economic stringencies being implemented by the current govermnmnet, the notification feature implemented in 2011 has had to be cancelled to save money to pay for biscuits.

mogrim

Tick

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Lol, cheers guys

ourmaninthenorth

RSS feed them and then set up a notification of your choosing with an IFTTT recipe?

Cougar

You can favourite threads you want to watch, too.

konabunny
    Free Member

Nothing I say is ever important enough that if I miss a reply it matters.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Are you that interested in “people” actually replying to some random letters you type on a forum ??
    I mean, really, that interested??

Hmmm

Drac

Are you that interested in “people” actually replying to some random letters you type on a forum ??

It is kind of the idea of a forum to take interest in the conversation.

Jamie
    Free Member

Somebody will be along shortly to say they have never needed such a function, so therefore your need is invalid.

Hmmm

Meh…close enough.

Anyway. What a strange thing to write. Surely if you asked a question, you would want to know if you got an answer?

robdob
    Free Member

No option on this forum for any sort of notification, unlike every single other website I go on.

I have no idea why STW use a Duplo style forum when everyone else has a perfectly functioning Lego Technic version.

I’ll probably get a ban just for saying that… :rollseyes:

Cougar

Comfy shoes.

Jamie
    Free Member

C’mon now Rob. We got a share function thingy.

*coughs*

JoeG
    Free Member

Hey -they did fix the new page glitch! 😮 How quickly some forget. 🙄

Duplo? More like

CountZero

project – Member
    Due to the current economic stringencies being implemented by the current govermnmnet, the notification feature implemented in 2011 has had to be cancelled to save money to pay for biscuits.

😆
    If it’s that important, it’s hardly a chore to quickly go back to the thread you were on, now is it?
    This forum layout is by far and away the easiest to navigate through of any that I’ve been on.

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup. Quite pleased with the way the forum functions. I visit loads of photographic forums which have disappeared up their own complex layers, to the point where there are so many sub-divisions that nothing is where you left it.

That said, I can’t use STW on my Android (HTC Desire 1). I can browse, read articles and forum posts but woe betide me should I want to post. Sentences vanish off the edge of the page, the smiley box is well off limits and the quote function is almost impossible to use.

winston_dog
    Free Member

This forum layout is by far and away the easiest to navigate through of any that I’ve been on

Agreed.

However, to add a notification feature would not change the layout.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I just have this mad idea that folks post on here then walk around the living room in every decreasing circles for, ohhh say 17mins, before scratching the itch and logging back on to see if anyone has taken the slightest interest in what they have posted.

As for conversation, this tends to be “my opinion is, my opinion is, my op……”

Shirley this forums all about starting a thread then meandering back to it to see if it’s not been closed down, Shirley this is the point? No?

Oh well.

spchantler
    Free Member

the correct method is to sit on edge of seat, pressing refresh every 30 seconds, with new tab already opened to google, for the purposes of checking replies for grammar and punctuation

brant
    Free Member

To the OP… Bookmark this page and check to see if there are any replies.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/chipbutty

darrenspink
    Free Member

Not sure why STW don’t do this. It’s possible with the bbpress plugin.

epicyclo

Why not simply hit the Overview button?

Not exactly what you want, but it’s close enough.

CountZero

I just have this mad idea that folks post on here then walk around the living room in every decreasing circles for, ohhh say 17mins, before scratching the itch and logging back on to see if anyone has taken the slightest interest in what they have posted.

It’s usually a day later I remember to go back and check.
    Far too interested in what other postees are saying, really.

kcal

I suppose forum activity would tell you if any responses after your own post – and indicate who (if any) had replied.

But yes, Vesion 1 forum had this feature – not necessarily a good idea for productivity IIRC..

eskay

It may be a cost issue. Most hosts charge for bandwidth usage and I am sure sending out notification emails would eat up the Mbs.

atlaz
    Free Member

I know the people who host STW and I’m pretty sure that the emails wouldn’t be all that onerous in terms of cost. I just think STW Towers don’t really see a need for it.

kcal

.. and I remember when there was a sidebar list of all the forum members online at the time –/that/ would eat up the bandwidth these days ::)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How do I get notifications when someone replies to my forum posts?’ is closed to new replies.