Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • How close have you bivvied?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve bivied behind this hedge (it was slightly bigger at the time). Not the quietest night’s sleep, but having been warned of the quality of the local B&B’s I don’t think I missed out.

Dog walker asked if I lived here in the morning, as if cooking up a bacon sandwich under a hedge is how the people of Sheppey live!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Shellness+Rd,+Leysdown-on-Sea,+Sheerness,+Kent+ME12+4RJ/@51.3944802,0.931101,3a,75y,340.55h,82.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seot6zrNm4OpBvI6Irh5wTg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x47d92d84a585500f:0x535e0aedd5f62429

If that doesn’t link to streetview, then look out to see from the end of the car park and I was between the hedge and the park bench.

richellicott
    Free Member

I live about 10 miles from Llandegla and bivvied on a nearby hill last summer. (If you look left on the main climb out of the trail centre, I was over there) I was only about 200m from the main footpath in the area but arrived around 8pm to watch the sunset and got up with the sun around 6am.
    Saw a few bird watchers on my way home and they didn’t look twice at me so maybe I’m not the first person to stay a night out there.
    It was a great way to try it out for a first time, I ate at home and just took a flask of tea, some biscuits and the latest copy of Singletrack mag with me.
    It did get very cold that night but I was wearing my winter tights under some howies cotton trousers and a beanie and buff for my head.
    I’m going to try it again soon, somewhere that I can start a little campfire maybe.

highlandman
    Free Member

Sidlaws north of Dundee, just a few miles from home and on my commute route. There’s a couple of well sheltered spots at around 350m where you feel you could be in the Highlands. Plus, for the morning after, showers at the office. Happy days(nights). Don’t forget the hip flask, it’s a vital part of the fireside experience.

nedrapier

Found some lovely spots just up the hill from me. Might had up with a hammock, a book and a hipflask when the evenings get longer. Probably 3 miles from home. Might even leave the bike at home!

boltonjon

Trying to bivvi at least once a month this year and have been heading into a local forest not more than 3 miles from my house.

One of my mates in our group lives within a mile of the last bivvi spot 🙂

Its all good practice

Waderider
    Free Member

Once bivvied on top of a bing near Newton, overlooking Fin Me Oot/Caldervale. Nice viewpoint of the Clyde, a derelict farm and the mine workings. A mile from where we lived then maybe?

AlexSimon

I live on the edge of the Peak District, so 10 miles gets you to some pretty wild-feeling places.
    The Goyt Valley for shelter and trees (for hammocking).
    Three Shire Heads for a bivvi
    A few open moors to choose from
    The Roaches
    Lud’s Church near Gradbach

I reckon 50% of my bivvies have been within 10-15miles. Especially with my eldest son. Younger son will be getting all the gear for his 10th birthday this April, so I’ll probably be revisiting them all again this year!

Staying close lets you choose a good weather forecast and makes it easy to get back at a reasonable time in the morning for work if needed.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How close have you bivvied?’ is closed to new replies.