Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • House rear extension?
  • daveky
    Free Member

Is it feasible to build a single storey rear extension on a standard estate house that has a 34ft long rear garden? This would probably be an open plan room tacked onto what is currently the kitchen diner and would open on to what would be left of the garden. Don’t think that garden width would be an issue. Thanks.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I suppose only your local planning office can tell you for sure.
    But I see plenty of extensions on all sorts of houses.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Permitted development dictates that an extension cannot cover more than 25% of the land, so a bit then 2m – barely worth it.
    So you’d need to apply for planning.

mark90
    Free Member

How big’s the front garden?

vinnyeh

Permitted development dictates that an extension cannot cover more than 25% of the land, so a bit then 2m – barely worth it.
    So you’d need to apply for planning.

I thought that it’s that no more than 50% of the curtilage -land outside the original footprint of the house as constructed/ as it was in 1948-, including outbuildings, can be built on?

tomaso
    Free Member

Check on planning portals interactive guide to find out if you need PP.

daveky
    Free Member

mark90 – Member
    How big’s the front garden?

POSTED 41 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Tiny. Would guess 4m x 4m.

daveky
    Free Member

Planning would be a problem but are there any thoughts on whether another room take up too much length in the available space? What size rear garden would people say is the minimum needed to be left over?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Check on planning portals interactive guide to find out if you need PP.

This.

Unless you can draw a sketch of the existing footprint of your house, garden etc.

Also, your council may* allow a pre-planning enquiry for a small fee where you can submit simple plans and they’ll tell you whether you need to go through the rigmarole of PP.

*From experience, Bristol CC won’t allow these anymore for domestic extensions. You have to work it out, and submit. If not needed, then you’re refunded. I can see their point; can only imagine the amount of speculative pre-planning enquiries they were getting.

Also, check under your postcode to see what has been granted/refused/granted with exceptions. You’ll get a fair idea of what’s being allowed or not in your area.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘House rear extension?’ is closed to new replies.