Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • house insurance with bike cover?
  • jools182
    Free Member

Is Marks & Spencer still the default choice?

AA seems to want to take more and more money from me each year, despite no claims

smurfly13
    Free Member

Pedalcover come up on here regularly.

They beat my house cover massively plus added unspecified bikes!

rhayter

Plus 1 for pedalcover.

MoreCashThanDash

Everyone here raves about Pedalcover.

I actually got mine covered as specified items with esure. First time in years it’s been cheap enough to actually insure them.

CheesybeanZ

Pedal Cover , saved a load and got far better cover than the ridiculous renewal figures M&S gave us .

timrobinson229
    Free Member

esure great for me too..

Painey
    Free Member

Another vote for Pedalcover. Miles cheaper than anybody else plus very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Can’t recommend them enough.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I used directline, they’ll extend the outbuildings cover to 5,000 if you ring them.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

just moved to bradford & bingley and added specified bike cover of £5000. cover in the property, in locked out building or outside if locked to fixed point for theft or accidental damage (damage not incurred whilst ridding it) for seemingly minimal additional premium. dpn’t know how much the cycle cover cost, but to give you a picture my total premium for buildings & contents for the year is £240 and B&B were coming in as the cheapest

AlexSimon

I’m with Pedalcover – seems a bit too good to be true. Would be interested in hearing claim stories.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’m on my second year with pedal cover. Renewal came down a little and they are pleasant to deal with and the cover is perfect for an garage full of expensive bikes. Can’t comment on claims as I have had the misfortune to have to but the rest of the customer service is great.

bigmick25
    Free Member

Another Pedal cover satisfied customer here.

davidjey
    Free Member

I’m with Pedalcover – seems a bit too good to be true. Would be interested in hearing claim stories

Another one on pedalcover here. They are effectively a broker – my insurance policy bought through them is different bits of cover all packaged together. Main buildings/contents insurance document is with one of the big name insurers (AXA I think?) so I would like to think claiming would be no problem. Also, buying the policy I had some of the best/most helpful customer service I’ve experienced, which I would like to think would be no different if I needed to make a claim.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I tried Pedalcover, very helpful but found them slightly more expensive than Aviva.

Though Aviva uses Homeserve for emergencies and we had a right time trying to sort out an issue with Homeserve.

mcobie
    Free Member

I used a broker for my B&C – he found an insurer who’ll cover any bikes under £5k without having to declare them (simply have pedal cycles on the insurance). The only stipulation is that if they are stored in the garage/shed they are locked with a Gold Standard Lock to an immovable object.

They are also covered new for old and I am able to source the replacement from a retailer of my choosing.

Premium is pretty competitive too (quite a bit less than pedal cover wanted).

Also, when you do have a claim you deal with the broker not the insurer and it’s the broker who’ll assess the claim and make any authorisation (I know this as I have had a contents claim (not bike related)) which makes the whole process much easier.

Email me if you want his details.

robertgray05
    Free Member

We use Hiscox. It is expensive – £550ish vs £250 cheapest quote on price comparison sites.

BUT they do cover everything to full value, don’t need to specify high-value items like bikes or engagement rings or laptops, are decent to speak to on the phone. I haven’t had to make a claim but parents did and it was straightforward.

robertgray05
    Free Member

(oh Hiscox also don’t require things like floor anchors for locking bikes to)

votchy
    Free Member

esure for me too, albeit its actually sheilas wheels lol, bikes over £500 covered as named items and still cheaper than most after making a claim earlier this year (not for a bike but was surprised how little it affected the premium).

AlexSimon

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I tried Pedalcover today for ours but despite being helpful and polite, were unable to provide a quote due to a large claim 2 years ago when we got cleaned out.

Policies underwritten by AXA which is the same as M&S who we are unfortunately left with having to pay over £1100 a year to as they’re the only one’s who’ll cover us.

oxbow
    Free Member

After M&S went silly 6-7 years ago switched to John Lewis Insurance – bikes in with buildings and house contents (up to £5k each bikes I think). Worth a look but depends if the whole price is ok for you.

Claims handing was brill when toe-rags broke in and took 3 bikes 5 years ago(recovered amazingly, but due to observant child, not polis). Premiums went up, as you expect but not too much – and unlike some insurers they aren’t refusing cover on grounds you might be flooded because you can see a beck from the top window.

jambalaya
    Free Member

M&S Quote:
    Without bikes Premium cover £140, with bikes £820 – an extra £680 !!! 😯

At the risk of being flamed to death my Porsche Insurance is £340

John Lewis I need to call as it requires a referral

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m with AXA who were in the end very good with my recent claim – new for old etc. Bikes at home are unlimited but need to be specified to be insured away from the house. I have renewed today and our premium hasn’t really changed despite the claim. There are no clauses either re ground anchors etc.

The only negative was that I was put in touch with Wheelies for replacements but ended up taking the cash instead.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Pedalcover here too. Just moved to them as they were more than half the price of my previous insurer and I didn’t have to specify any bikes, no requirement for ground anchors etc. in the garage and is covered on the bike rack on the car with just the standard thule locks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘house insurance with bike cover?’ is closed to new replies.