Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • House in Leeds wanted
  • meandyuk

Just on the off chance, is anyone looking to sell a house in Leeds? Ideally in the Horsforth area. There aren’t that many coming on frustratingly!

Cheers,
    Andy

Andy at defusal dot net

ton

3 bed semi in Rothwell any good?

meandyuk

3 bed semi sounds great, but we need to be west/north for the commute – cheers tho!

ton

nice canalside ride into leeds from mine. no need to ride on the road.

ahsat

A lot of houses in Horsforth were being sold before they came to Rightmove when we were looking last year. I’d keep calling in on agents every few day to pick stuff up before it goes in the window if you really want to be round there. Market will start to pick up after Easter I’d think.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A work colleague living in Horsforth wanted to get a slightly larger house in Horsforth, he struggled for ages as houses sold within minutes of coming on the market.

I can’t see why people would want to live in Horsforth, much nicer (cheaper) places just a bit further out.

Why particularly Horsforth?

willjones
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

meandyuk

Budget is £250k to £300k ish.
    We just like that Horsforth’s still near the city (we’re currently living in the centre) and has good transport links and facilities/shops/decent enough pubs. Just seems like a logical next step if that makes sense.

Cheers

ahsat

We rented there for 3 months. We really liked it too compared to many other city type locations, but the prices are so inflated due to several schools being outstanding. For us that wasnt something we really needed to consider, so we moved further out – that and we wanted more green!

My one piece of advice is dont rely on the no. 97 bus to get you home – it is so unreliable in the evenings. It took me 2.5 hours once – I could have walked back in that time. Either get the 50 or 33 from town if you can, or the train if you live in the top half. A friend who can get the 97 from outside work to outside his house, still walks to get the train on an evening.

You are in the VERY competitive Horsforth house bracket there – you are really going to have to work for it. And bear in mind, not everywhere in Horsforth is actually that nice!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can you get the train in? Moving out to Baildon/Bingley/Otley gets you much more house for the money and you have moorland on the doorstep.

Horsforth isnt getting much love on here at the moment….

meandyuk

Yeah, I’d do the train one or two days a week and then bike it the rest. I work in the centre of Leeds and the missus commutes by car to Bradford, hence the reason for being based out West.

I know it’s very competitive, hence the post on here on the off chance as we’re not having much luck through the normal channels at the moment!

Cheers for the advice.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Biking to Leeds from Baildon/Bingley to Leeds centre takes approx 1hr and you don’t go on a single road it’s canal all the way.

I certainly would be looking at the Aire Valley more ch nicer than Horsforth and way cheaper

blader1611
    Free Member

Our house (3 bed semi) in Alwoodley (both schools here are outstanding) will likely be going up for sale this year and within your budget. Secure garage and good gardens, i would stay here in a heart beat but with 3 kids i need a bigger house. I

ahsat

We are Guiseley based – excellent train links and countryside on the doorstep. Still expensive for what you get, but not so competitive. Not such the pub/cafe culture as Horsforth though.

Good luck – it is a nice location. For us it was just too expensive for the space.

If it makes you feel any better at all (which is probably wont!) we started looking last Feb (relocating from the NE). Had an offer accepted on a major project in July (which we pulled out of after survey) and finally had an offer accepted for house we now live in, in October. With being outbid/missing out on various other houses on the way. NW Leeds is a tough market – stick at it – something will come along.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Baildon +1 – but if you’re getting the train into Leeds you’ll need to change at either Shipley or Guiseley.
    Ideal for train into Bradford though

And you get more for your money house wise than a Leeds postcode.

Back to Horsforth though – you do know it’s right at one end of the runway at LBA?

ahsat

Slight thread highjack that it does make me realise we could do with a NW Leeds/Airedale/Wharfedale ride meet! There are quite a few us on here!

ton

oi, don’t be leaving us southerners out if you do……… 😀

meandyuk

john_drummer:- Yep, there’s quite a few houses available there 🙂 that’s more top of horsforth towards cookridge though.

Cheers

blader1611
    Free Member

What is it in particular about Horsforth that you like?

ahsat

oi, don’t be leaving us southerners out if you do………

Lol – of course not, if its you Ton 😛 😛

Anyway, I cant organise it – I dont know my way round! We just followed the guidebook out of Bingley this weekend!

scuttler

Southerner? South Central more like 😉

carlosg
    Free Member

As previously mentioned houses sell quick in Horsforth , have a look at Cookridge and Adel too as they’re still close to Horsforth but without the associated inflated prices. Me I live in Cookridge if it’s for sale but really it’s Tinshill which is a mostly sold off ex council estate. The parents at my youngest school go ‘why did you buy a house there’? To which I answer ‘ cos my 3 bed semi with a massive garden cost 150K less than your 2 bed terrace and the crime is less there’ (and the wood is 150m from my front door)

tmb467
    Free Member

Some new builds in apperley bridge around that price

Near Horsforth and on train line to Leeds & Bradford

meandyuk

The horsforth quest has come to an end due to there not being any houses coming onto the market… now looking at Farsley or Rawdon, any thoughts on these? Farsley is a bit of an unknown so any comments welcome! cheers

nealglover
    Free Member

Farsley is great, we are looking to move there.
    Few friends live there and everyone loves it.

el_boufador

Rawdon’s good, got a few mates over that way and they love it. Rawdon’s not really got much of a centre,, but Yeadon is not far away, which is pretty good for pubs and facilities.
    No train though (need to go to horsforth or guiseley) and commuting by car from there is a bit of a ‘mare

Gary_M
    Free Member

We have one for sale in wetherby, £305k. Tidy but needs modernisation.

snownrock

Pudsey? More for your money, great road, train, bus and bike links. Suits me working in centre of Leeds and wife in Bradford.

igm

Where Ton lives is practicality France it’s that far south.

To be more helpful, have shook st Calverly too. Like a version of Horsforth for grown ups. (No I don’t live there – they wouldn’t want the likes of me)

ahsat

I’m guessing you’ve already seen it, but my mate is currently trying to sell his house, modern place on Broadgate in Horsforth, for £280k. In your budget, in the catchment for the school etc.

We like Farsley when we looked. It was certainly on our shortlist. Nothing really came up that suited us, but nice area, and Caverley too. Also some of Rodley as well.

As el_boufador said, Rawdon hasn’t got much of a centre and is a bit strung out along the A65. There are some nice streets, but think the commute could be a bit grim, which is why we never seriously considered it.

Honestly though, you’ll never get us away from the Guiseley/Menston area I don’t think. After 5 months we love it here.

CHB

Don’t move to Woodlesford, we are full here and the 8 minute train ride to Leeds already struggles for seats on a morning 😉

meandyuk

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced conveyancing solicitor in the Leeds area? The vendors are using Ryan’s so we can’t go with them.

Cheers!

willjones
    Free Member

I used Winstons for a commercial property transaction and would highly recommend. It will be down to the individual at the company handling your case though.

ahsat

So where did you end up buying?

We used APL, by going through the conveyancing service at Manning Stainton (even though we weren’t buying or selling with them). Fixed price and honored the second round of searches for free on a new place when we pulled out of the first purchase. Didn’t surprise us with anything and were pretty efficient (as much as they ever are!). Good online system for paperwork which prevents delays with postage.

meandyuk

3 bed semi in Farsley – quite small but we liked the area & amenities.. plus there’s hardly anything coming on at the moment. Small garage for bikes too 😉

Cheers for the conveyancing recommendations, i’ll check them out.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘House in Leeds wanted’ is closed to new replies.