Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope XC Rear Hub Service – Circlip Pliers??
  • mattw
    Free Member

Hi,

Rather than pay my LBS around £60 to service my rear Hope XC hub, I plan to do it myself.

I’ve ordered 10x 6001 2RS bearings for £25 from bearingboys.co.uk (10 was a good VFM breakpoint so will do 2 rear wheel services and 1 front). I’m going to get the drift and hub support from CRC (£10 each) and use my camping mallet for bashing stuff 🙂

I see from various guides that you need to remove a circlip. Sorry for the stupid question but I’m guessing that circlip pliers come in all different shapes and sizes so I don’t know what to get.

Could some kind soul point me at a link (CRC, Amazon, Halfords, Screwfix, whatever) for a set of circlip pliers that you know will do this job?

Thanks very much!
    Matt.

wwaswas

These will be fine;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_753275_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

pick the ‘ends’ that give best access to the holes on the circlip.

trail_rat
    Free Member

they will do it – but everytime i use those type a little bit of my soul dies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HILKA-4-PC-CIRCLIP-PLIER-SET-INTERNAL-EXTERNAL-PLIERS-/390673235434?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5af5f07dea#ht_544wt_721

much better tools to use than the multi head crap.

alanf
    Free Member

I’ve got a set similar to what Trail_rat posted.
    There are plenty about on ebay for not much dollars and they wont annoy you like the multi head option…

mattw
    Free Member

nice one! I’ve ordered the eBay pliers. thanks all.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Those ones wwaswas posted will do the job, but go for trail rat’s suggestion.
    Oh and the circlip holds the inner bearing in place deep in the freehub body. So remove the outer one (nearest the lockring) first and then all will become clear.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hope XC Rear Hub Service – Circlip Pliers??’ is closed to new replies.