Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope headset shim
  • pedlad

Help!

Having cleaned and greased the headset I’m putting the fork back on and I seem to be missing the shim shown on hope’s diagrams that goes below the top cap and seal.

A…se thought I was really careful to retain everything or is it possible that this isn’t fitted for some reason.

If not does anyone know where to get a replacement? Ta

pixelmix
    Free Member

Sure it’s not stuck to one of the other seals/bits? Since they all fit together so perfectly, they do have a habit of sticking together.

pedlad

I did think that it was on the top cap at first but that is just the seal attached on the retaining lip.

pedlad

dbl post oops

pedlad

bump – sorry but really want ride thi weekend! The shim isn’t what I’d call the seal to keep the bearings in are they? Anyone got any ideas?

gamo
    Free Member

Did it def have one fitted?one of my bikes has 2 and on the other none,
    they are thre to make sure the rubber seal doesn’t get pressed against the upper cup and drag/deform.

pedlad

That’s what I’m thinking as I was careful when dissasemblinb – so people think it’s ok to run it without?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It’s fine to run without. It’s only there if required, some use all three I haven’t got any in mine.

pedlad

Great – that’s what I was after thanks

gamo
    Free Member

Hope told me to fit as required, so when you fit the top cap you want
    it to sit flush to the upper cup but not press and deform.

It probably wasn’t there in the first place rather than you’ve lost it.

If the seal on the top cap doesn’t seem to be dragging on the top bearing, don’t worry about it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope headset shim’ is closed to new replies.