Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope floating rotors. Waaay too much floaty-float.
  • specialknees
    Free Member

Hope floater 160mm, about two years old. When I hold the front brake and rock the bike loads of play almost like the headset is loose.

Im sure Its the rotors, doesnt do it with another set of non float rotors.
    Is this normal,has anybody else had this?

Guy in LBS (NOT A MECHANIC)said take the rotor off and bang rotor rivet a bit with a hammer on a flat surface to squash it tighter. Not exactly the kind of thing I fancy doing but if it works Great. If it doesnt I have to buy a new one anyway.
    Or will I die?

What do you recon boys?

clubber
    Free Member

Mine do the same. I suspect that the mechanic is right but since it doesn’t have any effect when riding and looks secure enough to me as it is, I’d be wary of hitting a safety critical part with a hammer 🙂

5lab

my shimano (non floating) rotors do this as well, have done for years, just carry on riding them

gee
    Free Member

Yep, Hopes do this. I had a couple replaced but they kept doing it after a while. Now I just use them – you don’t notice while riding.

specialknees
    Free Member

True, I dont notice it when riding but still dont like it.
    Glad others do it too.

Im still tempted do get the Ball Pein out though…
    I love hammers!

evenfasterson
    Free Member

This happens when they get too hot. You won’t notice it at first but eventually they will squeel like a bitch.

They can get too hot by either being dragged or by being under sized for your riding.

Go up a size and it should stop it re occuring if the reason is the latter.

greeble
    Free Member

you sure its not the pads moving in the caliper?

have you tried moving the rotor by hand to see if its loose?

curvature
    Free Member

You need to have a proper look at them and in particular the rivet that joints the braking surfce to the carrier.

My bike was doing the same at the back and when i eventualy traced the noise/movement found it to be one of the broken rivets as the LBS guy says.

You can flatten them but to me it will only work loose again and do you really want the rivet failing completely? Skid from the back, over the bars from the front…..I wouldn’t risk it.

Luckily mine was only 3 months old so replaced under warranty.

Get in touch with Hope and say it is a common problem and see what they say.

Northwind

You know what works really well? Nonfloating rotors.

bigyinn
    Free Member

evenfasterson – Member

This happens when they get too hot. You won’t notice it at first but eventually they will squeel like a bitch.

They can get too hot by either being dragged or by being under sized for your riding.

Go up a size and it should stop it re occuring if the reason is the latter.
    Sounds like you made that up to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure they are NOT MEANT TO DO THIS!

Three sets in our family, none do it. I’ve never seen any on anyone else’s bike that do it either.

schmiken

I got annoyed with them, so binned them for Ashimas instead.

d45yth
    Free Member

I didn’t think the rivets were supposed to be tight, this allows for expansion when the rotor is hot.
    Something to do with aluminium and steel having different rates of expansion/contraction when changing temperatures, I think?

headpotdog
    Free Member

Got exactly the same thing with Shimano SLX floating rotors too. It’s really something you notice when the bikes not moving. Once at speed the braking force against the rotor takes up the slack instantaneously and isn’t an issue.

eshershore
    Free Member

guy in my bike shop had actually the same problem with the Hope brakes on his S-works hardtail bike

brakes were about 14 months old, he rides alot.

sent the rotors to Hope, they replaced them free of charge.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope floating rotors. Waaay too much floaty-float.’ is closed to new replies.