Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hope ceramic BB worth it?
  • j3ffo
    Free Member

As above. Cheapest I can find is 80 quid.

Is it worth the extra over standard hope BB over even shimano xt/xtr?

cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

Buy a steel one and 2 sets of spare bearings instead for the same price.

ianven
    Free Member

I saw a 2nd hand one go on ebay a few weeks ago for about £40. It would have to come with a lifetime guarantee for me to spend £80 on a new one

seanodav
    Free Member

Rosebikes do xt for 12.50 no brainer?

Northwind

Buy 11 Deores for the same price.

rickmeister

GUB Ceramic from ebay.. £30 ish delivered…

Wally

I bought a SH one on here for £45. Many miles later it still spins almost as good as a square taper and almost twice as good as an XTR.
    Yes I realise the free spin test is absolute rubbish in real terms – just seems so right.

ruscle
    Free Member

Don’t bother with shimano, get British and buy Hope. I got the ceramic, lasted 2.5 years so far and I ride my bike all year at least twice a week plus daily commute, well worth the money.

compositepro
    Free Member

No ceramic BB is worth it unless you like to say I have a ceramic BB

forgotmename
    Free Member

Yes its worth it, had 1 for 5yrs ish and still spins like new, the best thing they make.

ruscle
    Free Member

I take it that your talking from experience of owning both ceramic and steel bb’s?

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive just replaced my hope stainless bearings for the 1st time after 5 years and thousands of miles of service. For me ceramic just dosnt have the advantage to make it worth the price increase.

compositepro
    Free Member

Why do folks think ceramic bearings are better???

Yes owned both steel and ceramic in fact many many many bottom brackets.
    There’s a box of the good bad and ugly under the test bench in the workshop.

Where’s the resident bearing expert on this forum when you need him.

kaesae
    Free Member

Intresting subject! my advise is go onto super stars website buy some bushes and then buy some top end bearings to fit into an already existing set of cups, hope cups.

My ceramic BB was worn out, so I replaced the hope bearings with INA + bushes, it fits perfectly and cost very little to do.

Hope’s bearing are made by INA anyway so they are the same quality bearings.

chrisfixed
    Free Member

ceramic bearings are better, they are much tougher than the usual stainless steel bearings no matter what make. when a bb wears out, its because the steel ball bearings surface has worn away resulting in a small amount of play in the bearings as a whole. fail to notice this play and you pit the races and crush the bearings one by one, as the bearing runs slightly off centre, leaving you with one dead bb.

So, swap steel for ceramic as its much much tougher, runs smoother than steel with less friction, meaning less wear and a longer life.

plus they,re next to impossible to crush when really riding hard.

angryratio
    Free Member

chrisfixed..
    given it’s a sealed bearing inside a hope bb it does not matter whether it is ceramic or stainless.
    Both are easily replaced.

trailertrash

Ceramic bearing do not corrode and are very hard so they last longer. It’s that simple.

i am still on my first Hope ceramic, 4 years old now, still spinning sweetly.

br
    Free Member

If you can afford one, they’re good value.

A couple of years on mine so far.

Rorschach
    Free Member

And they are impervious to mud 😉

compositepro
    Free Member

😯

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hope ceramic BB worth it?’ is closed to new replies.