Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • home insurance and bikes do they mix?
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

so the home buildings and contents policy is due and having never previously declared my bike i have decided to get a few quotes with it added on and im shocked at how much it adds on!

roughly 100 quid extra if i declare a £2500 bike is it really worth it or do you find that it is generally covered under the “garage contents” clause or the “no need to declare any indiviual thing less than 10%” clause

or do home insurance companies normally find ways of not paying for bikes?

looked at stand alone insurance for bike and it was £300!!!!

warton
    Free Member

or do you find that it is generally covered under the “garage contents” clause or the “no need to declare any indiviual thing less than 10%” clause

definitely not, there will be a bike clause in there too. 100 quid seems ok. I have dedicated insurance, 30 quid a month for 4.5k worth of bikes. that includes racing damage (and non racing damage!)

momo

Have a look at M&S insurance, highly recommended on here, cover bikes up to £4k without declaring them as specified items. Not too pricey to declare either (added about £50 to my policy for my bike declared at £4250).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

momo +1

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And buy it via Quidco and get £45 cash back

Drac

Another M&S vote here, I pay less than £30 a month for top whack home and contents insurance, includes all my bikes.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

About the same as mine (and that covers my bikes and my wife’s rather expensive engagement and wedding rings)… The only cover I didn’t take was the home emergency cover that pays for emergency plumbers and the like to come out.

Buildings Cover:
    Level: Standard
    Buildings Excess: £100
    Subsidence Excess: £1000
    Contents Cover:
    Level: Premier
    Contents Excess: £100
    Contents away from home:
    Yes
    Legal Expenses:
    Yes
    Home Emergency Cover:
    No
    Premium incl IPT:
    £310.17

(and of course I got the £45 cashback on top of that)

Drac

Pretty much the same yeah except I made the excess £50 on contents and building as made very little difference to policy price. Only claimed once and that was when the freezer blew a fuse last year. They paid up for £300 with of food no problem at all.

showerman
    Free Member

have m/s insurance here too.. but someone on here week or 2 ago sayiny they only pay a max of £1000 per claim for bikes..

FuzzyWuzzy

Nah that post said after a claim come next renewal they’d only cover up to £1k, still crappy though if M&S do that (although hopefully I won’t be claiming any time soon…)

daveb
    Free Member

M&S cover for up to £4k on each individual item. Pity if they limit it after that as it works out pretty cheap even if you only have one bike included compared to individual bike insurance.

I pay £29 per month for home and contents premier and thats with one claim (2 years ago – stolen bike) which they paid out for in about two weeks.

Drac

have m/s insurance here too.. but someone on here week or 2 ago sayiny they only pay a max of £1000 per claim for bikes..

There was more to it than that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I wonder when they will alter the terms if they get too many cycle claims

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘home insurance and bikes do they mix?’ is closed to new replies.