Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hollow Tech II Bearings. What's the difference?
  • jambon
    Free Member

So, is there any real difference between Deore (£18.99) and XT/SLX (£27.99) when is come to replacing BB bearings for an SLX set-up which is going to get a thrashing in the dry (Spain).

Or do I bight the bullet and get Hope, in which case, steel or ceramic.

Discuss.

tinsy
    Free Member

I bought a Deore it fits my XT cranks fine, think I paid a little more at £20 though, at the same time I bought 2 new bearings for the old XT one for £5 from fleabay, so now I have a spare BB and a brand new BB for £25.

dobo
    Free Member

Its an interesting question. We need someone to rip em apart to see if they have different sealed bearings in.

Race face also do a cheap version replacement BB for the ride kit, wonder what the difference is here too?

The cheapest BB's i know of are from Token, available through wiggle. £17.59 if you get the full discount, currently out of stock for the standard but do a cheap ceramic titanium version which looks interesting.

tinsy
    Free Member

dobo.. apparently the bearing width is slightly different.

New bearings at a fiver is the cheapest option.

dobo
    Free Member

dobo.. apparently the bearing width is slightly different.

so the cheaper BB's might have smaller bearings in?
    if so i dont see that as much of a problem, as all the BB's i've killed have been due to water and crap getting inside, so more of a seal/design issue than a weight bearing issue

barrykellett
    Free Member

Cheaper BB's

Ordered one yesterday so will let you know what I think.

I have a SSC ceramic one in that has lasted about a year, except i only have been out regularly for 4 months of that year.

nickc

I have a Hope one, been in for 6 months or so, been fine, hasn't been really wet though, so who can tell.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

There was a number of threads on this last year, now lost in the old forum.

I may be wrong but this is my recollection of what was said:-

In essence there are two different types of BB shell. One has a thicker wall than the other. The thicker walled one is approx 1mm shallower than the other, and "off the shelf" bearings don't fit, but stand proud. Enduro bearings from BETD fit, and IIRC Phil Wood ones do. There were some piccies of the different cups, but they too have disappeared into the ether.

Sorry if my memory is incorrect.

jambon
    Free Member

You probably all know, but RF use full complement bearings which are a really bad idea, hence them lasting a few days in the wet. Shimano use spacered (incorrect term but you know what I mean) bearings which don't grind themselves into a pulp.

I recon from this feedback that the £18 Deore ones are fine – especially in the lovely dry Spanish trails where I live. Ha!

Ta all, J

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hollow Tech II Bearings. What's the difference?’ is closed to new replies.