Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hiring a pump to empty a garden pond. In Edinburgh.
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Any ideas of where would be best to hire a pump to empty a garden pond? Or does anyone have one I could borrow (I’d buy you some beer or something)?

I’ve looked up pump hire places on the interweb but invariably they are full of techy stuff that only people “in the trade” understand. I’m basically DIY clueless, and lazy into the bargain.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You can get these – simply stick it on a power drill…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-18937-Drill-Powered-Pump/dp/B0001K9QCW

Must be cheaper than hiring something?

wwaswas

how big is it and where are you planning to drain into?

something like this would be ok as long as it’s not full of rubbish. just attach a hose to the outlet.

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=200755&pf_id=LT0992D&co=fr

you could just use a length of hose and siphon it out if you don;t need to pump the water up hill.

qwerty
    Free Member

Siphon it?

stanfree
    Free Member

I used to be a tool hire manager for HSS and they do a great range in water punps , depending how big your garden is try for a half day hire to save some money .
    Also try hirestation or hewden hire .

JEngledow
    Free Member

Any of these would do it (although you can probably find cheaper from non-national tool hire place:

HSS Hire

kennyp
    Free Member

Thanks for those replies. The Amazon one looked interesting, but got some dodgy reviews, though they did recommend an alternative. I’ll give HSS a bell I think. As for siphoning, where the pond is makes it pretty difficult.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how bigs the pond

that power drill attachment is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard

a half day hire should only be about 25 quid for the correct tool

we used to use the standard hand carry generator sized ones with a 3 inch hose on them to empty a monster pond before working on the banks.

do think about where your putting the water so that it does not run back into the pond 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

HSS Hire Shops.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve rented a petrol powered pump to empty some water tanks. Martin Plant Hire are usually cheaper than HSS. Be sure to prime it properly, and keep the filter on suction end clear

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers guys. looks like hiring is the way to go.

rickmeister

I have a HSS account Kenny…

kennyp
    Free Member

Does that get good savings Rick?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Don’t you have a small pump in the pond that could be used connected to a hose pipe?

It may take longer but much cheaper.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

How big is the pond? We did ours with buckets.
    Took a while but cheap and easy!

stumpy01

How much is hiring gonna cost? I take it you don’t have a pump in the pond or presumably you’d be using that.
    Couldn’t you buy something like this:

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=200755&pf_id=LT0992D&co=fr

and get some hose to plug into it? I would have thought that would be cheaper than hiring.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

kennyp – I’ve for a submersible pump sitting round gathering dust. It empties to within about 1/2″ of the bottom. 3m head.

You’re welcome to borrow it (N Edinburgh – but travel around a lot). Needs normal 240v and either standard garden watering hose or 1/2″.

kennyp
    Free Member

If I could borrow it that would be be grand. Can you e-mail me at kenneth.pollock1@btinternet.com ta.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hiring a pump to empty a garden pond. In Edinburgh.’ is closed to new replies.