Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hiking trailer recommendations?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Aware that this is likely an uber-niche request, but please bear with me.

Long and short of it is I used to live for walking outdoors. Did about 40-60 miles on weekends, every weekend. Was favourite outdoor pursuit by far, yes even more than cycling. Walked literally everywhere. Didnt even learn to drive until it was unavoidable (at 39yrs.)

At 30 yrs an undiagnosed ankle-injury resulted in unannounced, rapid, aggressive inflammatory arthritis (attacked both feet and ankles). This effectively stopped me standing/walking for many years.

Anyway, after years of (diet/hydro/physio) therapy I can just about walk two hrs a day (unnassisted, no painkillers) if do one hour middayish, and one hour about 7pm. Using rocker-soled shoes has been a recent revelation and I want to build on it. Just the thought of walking and camping again – even if only 8 miles every other day – drives me insane.

So looking for some kind of hand-trailer designed for hiking as this would take the weight off, so to speak. Of course would be a PITA over stiles etc, but not so much a pain in the feet, so has to be done. I would imagine one with a progressive braking system would help downhill, can’t imagine 40kg of gear rolling behind would feel great down a mad incline?

Tartan shopping cart with mods?

ElShalimo

Have a look on PTC* Blog — Petesy.co.UK
    He reviewed some a couple of years ago.

matt_outandabout

Hack up a Burley?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thnks folks, awesome! will have a gander…

I was looking at this ‘monowalker’ last night, which sounded perfect, and made from sustainable wood – (also converts to rucksack, bike trailer, and table!) but it seems he failed to fund (Kickstarter)?

One wheel certainly sounds more do-able on tight trails, but without trying it I’m just guessing. Two-wheels are ok on paved/wide trails I suppose, but wouldnt they start become a pain getting up a mountainside? Then again one wheel might be risky to balance with a heavy load? Again guessing….

TheBrick
    Free Member

Google bamboo bike (I’m at work so difficult for me to find link). There is a small company / non proffit in Oxford I think that sells kits and offeres training on making bamboo / composite bikes. They also do training course pretty cheap. Their kits are cheap as well. You could then make a bamboo / CF single wheel trailer to your size which you could strap a rucksack to, it would be your size too! I mention this as a possibility as you seem to like the sustainable wooden trailer.

Alternativly you could commision them to make it for you. It would be a simple item to make.

TheBrick
    Free Member
    spooky_b329

Big wheel is probably best, how about an extra wheel with a handle bodge. Might be able to fit a rim brake to it.

Just noticed that image is from a STW review 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hiking trailer recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.