Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hi Viz – does orange fade less quickly than yellow?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I’m going for the award for geekiest and most obscure question of the week 🙂

My yellow hi-vis windproof Montane jacket which I use for commuting has faded so badly (after 8 years which is fair enough tbh) that it’s now essentially a white jacket. Fine for general use still but pointless as a hi-vis.
    I’ve noticed that yellow hi-vis does tend to fade over time. Anyone else found this and is orange any better at keeping its colour?

cookeaa

My old yellow hi viz jacket has definitely faided, but it is an aldi job…

Orange won’t be any less susceptible than any other colour to UV will it though…

bruneep
    duffle
    Free Member

Orange won’t be any less susceptible than any other colour to UV will it though…

Depends on the material and type of dye used.
    The Flavine type (yellow) and the Rhodamine and Flavine (Orange) for nylon are quite delicate chromophors and are easily degraded with UV, I seem to remember Rhodamine more so. Price you pay for high brightness

timba
    Free Member

I think that the yellow possibly looks worse because it’s already a pale colour, and orange does fade but maybe less obviously

As you quite rightly say, eight years is pretty good going for cycling kit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hi Viz – does orange fade less quickly than yellow?’ is closed to new replies.