Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Heresy: converting MTB to road bike
  • pcosmic
    Free Member

I’ve got an old marin that I use as a pub bike. I’m changing it over to a road/commuter bike for running errands etc. Was just deliberating over tyre choice. Any views on whether I’m better off going for a Schwalbe City Jet or something like a Continental Grand Prix? It’ll probably be used 75% on road 25% on tow path.

ta

adam

Northwind

<damn it, every post I make tonight turns into a cheeky for sale ad>

I put schwalbe kojaks on mine- they’re basically 26 inch road tyres, with a little bit more size and a bit of puncture protection. Light and fast but still got a bit of cushion etc for rougher surfaces.

I ended up replacing that bike with a 700c hybrid and put kojaks on that too… So those 35c 26er ones are for sale, if you’re interested?

There’s always the Supermoto- heart vs head this, they’re heavier and slower but they look so much better and they give you a lot more cushion if your commute ends up being a kerb/speedbump jumping session 😆

pcosmic
    Free Member

Thanks man! Them kojaks look a little *too* bald. Surely I’d need a bit more grip? Worried things might get a little hairy on wet roads…

Northwind

Nah, slick is grippy- pushbike tyres are too narrow small to need tread like car tyres. Though obviously it’s not ideal for mud!

shermer75
    Free Member

Kojaks have amazing grip in the wet. They are one of my favourite tyres. As above, I think it’s because they are too narrow to aquaplane so you don’t need the tread, and on tarmac slick is better as it gives more contact area with the road. Good puncture resistance, fast and comfortable, well worth a try! 🙂

pcosmic
    Free Member

ok ok I’m interested! @northwind have emailed you. thanks! a

antigee

interesting (possibly) article here on what influences grip

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/08/rubber-side-down-the-function-of-road-tyre-tread-patterns/

shermer75
    Free Member

Excellent article, thanks for posting that up! 🙂

Northwind

YGM mate

s1255
    Free Member

Kojaks are really good – put some 27.5 ones on my 45650b and done a Team 24hr charity cycle at Knockhill (Motor)Race circuit up here in bonnie Scotland. Now in principle this is abet of a trudge of an event(it is for charity mind!) but the Kojaks performed brilliantly, and being Scotland it did indeed rain!

Also I used them for 2 months prior on various 30 – 50 mile road cycles, and again that included rain and some pretty badly surfaced roads as well!

stumpy01

I used City Jets for a few years on a second set of wheels for my Inbred when I took it on the road.

Great tyres, especially for the price. I even used them round a very muddy Thetford forest once when I put the wrong wheels in the car. I was surprised how little difference it made to my speed/confidence. It was only on roots that they were noticeably worse than something with a bit of tread.

carlosg
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I used ‘city jets’ on the old M-trax that I converted for road/touring duties ,got loads of grief of people as it wasn’t the most attractive looking bike but as I only rode it about 4 or 5 times a year there was no point buying a proper roadie.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Pass the eye bleach!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Heresy: converting MTB to road bike’ is closed to new replies.