Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help. What tools do I need..
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Having on going issues with my bike creaking, crc have been really helpful trying to sort it but I don’t want to have to send the bike back once again. They are going up send me out a full set of bearings and give me 30 quid or maybe more to get the lbs to replace them. If I was to do it myself what kit would I need?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Which bearings?

jam-bo

Hammer.

jimw
    Free Member

Depends on the bike. I personally would get someone who has the experience/tools to do it

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s a nukeproof tr275. Crc via nukeproof are currently assembling a full bush/bearing kit to ship out to me. I have plenty of hammers as I’m a builder and I may have once stripped some frame bearings out of my old spesh with a claw hammer and a shaped to fit piece of wood. This time I’d like to be more refined…

legend
    Free Member

Isn’t creaking a design feature of Megas?

dhrider
    Free Member

If CRC are paying for the LBS to fit, i’d let them do it. Better to be safe than sorry!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Will 30 quid cover a shop to do it. I was somewhat sceptical and expected double that?

Poopscoop

Has to be asked…

Is it definitely the bearings causing the creak?

Just about any metal to metal interface could be causing it.

dhrider
    Free Member

Will 30 quid cover a shop to do it. I was somewhat sceptical and expected double that?

I suppose if you ask for a quote 1st and then it is £50, see if they’ll cover the extra. As above i’d be certain it is the bearing causing it before you start. What checks have you done so far?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Pedals off re greased, new bottom bracket installed with much grease, new set of forks and headset as they were also creaking. It’s only sporadic and always when you load up on the pedals.

Poopscoop

If check axles, seat post, seat and clamp interface, seat itself replaceable dropouts… basically everything it has to be said.

Hopefully the bearings will cure it but I’d check everything else out too.**

Our just get bearings done and only worry about it if it’s still an issue.

As for cost, the QUAD 2 bearings in my Marin (8 in total) cost £30, labour, to replace. Mind you….had to re-do them myself anyway as they weren’t fitted properly by lbs.

Google found me some manuals, I bought some eBay genetic bearing presses and a few sockets from my toolbox to sort them out. Bit scary though, at first anyway!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help. What tools do I need..’ is closed to new replies.