Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help – Tubeless!
  • Teedertodder

So, I’ve got a tub of latex (“just riding along” stuff), an 819 UST rim and a newish Kenda Nevegal 2.35.
    Almost got the last bit of bead onto the rim when pumping up, but seems to be 3 or 4 small cuts in the carcass where latex is seeping out.
    Should I expect this latest botch to work, and if so how long does this goo take to set?
    Set it up last night and after too long scaring the neighbours with my track pump antics I gave up. Just tried again but the tyre is now beginning to look like my old white onZa porc…
    Do I really have to stump up 50 notes for a new tyre and Stans…?

Help!

Cheapskate Howie

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Have you tried spinning the wheel / gripping tyre in each hand and shaking side to side / generally trying to spread the latex out to cover slits?

Teedertodder

Yeah, done all that. All slits are seeping latex but it doesn’t seem to dry. I even shook the bottle before I poured it into the tyre. Maybe I’m destined to use tubes for ever…

grumm
    Free Member

I tried ‘ghettoing’ a non-tubeless big earl to an 819, and I couldn’t get it to inflate without using a Schwalbe 20″ BMX tyre as a rim strip.

Teedertodder

Really? What does that do then?
    Oh yeah, what goo are you using, maybe I’m using the wrong stuff. My tyre’s a non UST too but would shell out the cash if I thought it would work…maybe

grumm
    Free Member

Check this site out – http://www.tubelesswheels.com/tubeless.html

I found it worked pretty easily if you follow these instructions.

Teedertodder

Cheers for that. They use the same goop as I did so thats cool.
    Maybe I’ll just take the tyre off and seal up the slits with a couple of patches then try again.
    Nice one

PJ266
    Free Member

Would be alot easier if you used UST tyres 😉

grumm
    Free Member

I found it dead easy with a non UST tyre, but only using the rim strip.

number2
    Free Member

I am using the same tyres on 819’s but with stans sealant. Still losing air after a couple of days but am easily getting a 3-4 hour ride with no loss of air.

I also had a couple of small holes but the Stans stuff sealed them straight away.
    The air that I am losing is via the rough edged beading.

I would patch up the holes and try again.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Seroius ! if you want to do it cheapskate , buy a tub/tube of christmas glitter .. yes glitter , in any colour you want (ive hear pink works well)

Pour some of this in you latex/water mixture , you sidewall will eventually seal.

uncheap – buy a new tyre.

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought the JRA stuff was just the latex milk but Stan’s has the solid particles in as well so usually seals bigger holes?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help – Tubeless!’ is closed to new replies.