• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Leon.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help! The pin in schraeder valve to low for my shock pump to work on my Reba
  • Leon
    Free Member

THis is weird.

I just gotr my reba’s back from warranty – they seem to work nicely. Tried to put a bit more air in them, and my shock pump does nothing. ON inspection, the valve pin is sitting 2-3 mm lower thatn the top of the outside of the valve, which means the pump doen’t dpress the pin.

Looking at the only other schraeder valves in my house, the pin is normally fractionally below, but no more.

\looking at eh exploded diagram, I can’t see how it could be any different – it doesn’t seem an adjustable part.

Anyone seen this? Is it something easy to fix, or will i have to send them back again?

I bought them from Bike24 (who’ve been excellent, by the way), but if it’s a simple fix I’d rather not post them all the way back to Germany!

bigyinn
    Free Member

If its schraeder valves you can unscrew the valve core and replace it with another one.
    You can normally get the tool at halfords (or cobble one from an old spoke nipple like i did before!). A tyre fitters will probably have replacement cores if they dont have any in halfords.

Leon
    Free Member

are they just standard valve cores then? might give that a go

perthmtb
    Free Member

Had the same thing on a Fox rear shock from new. LBS insisted it had to be returned to Fox to be fixed as they are “very special valves – not just an ordinary ones, because of the high pressure and oils etc”. Meanwhile I emailed Fox and they said someone had screwed the valve core in too far, and the solution was to fit a new Schrader valve core – any would do, such as from a spare inner tube or Halfords as there’s nothing special about them. Can be removed with a tiny pair of pliers (after releasing all the pressure obviously), or for a couple of quid you can buy a valve core removal tool from Halfords.

Leon
    Free Member

thanks both. I guess i’m off shopping then… sloppy work from the service centre though…

perthmtb
    Free Member

thanks both. I guess i’m off shopping then… sloppy work from the service centre though…

Agree it’s a bit ham fisted to screw it in too far, the valve core only needs to be gently seated in, but shock pumps differ on how far the release pin sticks out, so it might have worked fine with the one they used but not with yours.

Leon
    Free Member

Replaced the valve core, that fixed it thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help! The pin in schraeder valve to low for my shock pump to work on my Reba’ is closed to new replies.