Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help: rotor rubbing on post mount.
  • benjimin
    Free Member

Hey guys, help if possible regarding my hope disc rubbing on post mount bracket. Disc is hope mono mini m4 floating rotor 180mm, fork is rs recon 335. Hub is shimano deore and it is standard qr.

I fitted the discs a few weeks ago with no problems until a trip down Cwmcarn last week. No issues on the ride, (other than my lung capacity), when I returned home and put the wheel back on the problem surfaced. I have since removed the wheel and there doesn’t appear to be damage to the dropouts and there is no longer any clearance between adapter bracket and rotor. I don’t understand why.
    Any help gratefully received.
    Cheers, Ben

glasgowdan
    Free Member

This sometimes happens with floaters. You need a hub spacer. Can’t think why it’s only started doing it now – is there a chance there was a spacer in there before?

coatesy
    Free Member

If it definitely wasn’t doing it before, then something has obviously changed. Did you remove the quick release from the hub, and refit it with the spring backwards,causing the wheel to sit wrongly (or vice-versa)?

benjimin
    Free Member

Definitely wasn’t doing it before, it sounded like one of those spoke clickers out of a cereal box. Note the past tense as after fiddling this morning it has stopped rubbing. Rotor and post are still so close though barely daylight between and I have no idea what I did other than I maybe wasn’t seating the wheel properly everytime.

Coatesy, no haven’t removet the qr, just the wheel for transit purposes. Can overtightening make a difference?

Glagowdan, never been a spacer to my knowledge. I seem to remember thinking rotor and adapter were close on fitting But this is really close. I was pretty pretty occupied with calliper set up mind.
    Would you recommend any particular spacer?

Cheers

MartynS

Had something similar on GFs bike.
    The Deore hub on her front wheel are cup and cone bearings which had worn. Thet seemed to allow the qr to pull the fork legs a bit to close together and the disk rubbed.

Is it possible your hubs are a bit worn?

benjimin
    Free Member

MartynS, yes it is more than possible, but I haven’t heard or felt anything to suggest it. What would be a sign of worn hub? I haven’t tightened the qr with my usual gusto and think it makes a difference but only a miniscule one.

MartynS

In my (her) case the wheel felt wobbly!
    I confess part of the problem might have me trying to nip up the hubs. The bearings were worn so I was able to slightly over tighten the hub, messing up the spacing.

With the wheel in the dropouts but the QR undone is it still rubbing?
    If no I’d reckon it’s the spacing that’s out!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve come across a few hubs that are not concentric. Undo the qr, turn the axle 1/4 turn, tighten qr. Check alignment. Try this at least 4 times to see if it’s the hub. (assuming at some point the wheel has been out and back in).

benjimin
    Free Member

Hey guys, thanks for all your help and suggestions. I have tried wheel without qr tightened and there is no rub. I have also tried turning the wheel before tightening as suggested by onzadog and no difference.
    The gap is only hairline but it is no longer rubbing so I’m gonna assume I hadn’t seated the wheel properly.
    What kind of gap should there be? My rear wheel has around 1/4 inch gap. Where and what kind of spacer should I get.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Common issue if using Shimano brakes and Hope floaters, 5 mins with a file will sort it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

No spacer will help. To increase the clearance, the rotor needs to sit further onto the hub. If clearance is an issue, you’ll have to use a standard rotor rather than one with an alloy centre. That will gain you about 1/16″.

benjimin
    Free Member

Nice one guys. I had the file out yesterday but wimped out, thought it best to check first. Looks like I’ll be shaving a gram of weight off the front.

craig5

I run 203mm/ 180mm hope floating rotors front/ rear, post mount on the front, IS on the rear. I have run Hayes stroker and SLX brakes. Changed between a RS revelation (IS mount) and Fox 36 (IS mount) and have had rotor rub on all front and rear. The Hayes IS mount front and rear got the dremmel treatment the Fox Post mount/ SLX set up has taken all the anodising of the rotor and paint off the post mount on the fork. Common problem apparently. Fancy rotors don’t look so fancy any more. Hubs are DT 240’s rear/ specialized front. Bit of a bummer

benjimin
    Free Member

Judicious use of a file has solved all rubbing issues. 2 minutes and sorted. Thanks for all advise and expertise.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help: rotor rubbing on post mount.’ is closed to new replies.