Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help!! Orange 5 swing arm
  • orangesoul
    Free Member

Hi folks

I’ve recently fitted new brakes to my 5 and replaced the rubber washer type thing on the swing arm. Only downside is I’m struggling to fit the bugger now that the cable is running through.

Anyone have any ideas that doesn’t involve removing the cable. Was thinking that maybe heating the rubber would make it easier to install??

Thanks

Ed aka Mechanically Inept

collostomy
    Free Member

Gaffa tape… Thats what I used.

sssimon
    Free Member

Heat the rubber and lube it up

Wibble89
    Free Member

Poke the part that needs to go through with a small allen key. But be careful as it can pierce the rubber if you are too aggressive.

missnotax
    Free Member

What rubber washer thing on the swingarm…..? I’ve got a 5 but I can’t think of what bit this is 😕

composite
    Free Member

It’s the gromit that sits around the inside of the hole where the cable goes into the swing arm. It’s a bloody pain in the arse, the one on the gear cable side popped in fairly easily but I still have one half out on the brake cable side. Just can’t get the bugger in.

iainc

IMO you need to install the rubber grommet before the brake hose, and then install the hose from front to back. have an old cable in as a guide wire at all times. If you can’t get the hose/banjo off easily at the caliper, then you need to put a bigger guide wire (old metal coathanger is good) in first, then put the rubber grommet in, then in a very fiddly operation install the brake hose onto the trailing end of the coat hanger at the dropout and push/pull it forward. In this scenraio, it is likley that the metal hanger and hose will get stuck behind the grommet….

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Try warming it up with hot water to soften it up a bit.

woody2000

Could you just use a bit of silicone sealer instead? Only to keep a bit of crap out isn’t it?

missnotax
    Free Member

Pretty sure I don’t have one of these – just a hole in the swingarm. Which is no doubt full of crap 🙁

collostomy
    Free Member

Ahh my mistake, thought you meant the large hole where the brake cable exits the swing arm… As Ecky-thump says “warm it up in hot water”.

yoshimi

smother it in grease, use a very small flat headed screwdriver to work it in bit by bit

jota180
    Free Member

Only to keep a bit of crap out isn’t it?

I would have thought it was to stop chafing and eventual failure of the hose leading to a sudden death

or something like that

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

and if all else fails you could always trim the internal side of the grommet a bit with a pair of scissors, just at one point on its circumference and just enough to allow you to squeeze that trimmed bit into the hole.

orangesoul
    Free Member

cheers guys, i’ll try heating the rubber and using a bit of lube to tease it in.

neilc1881
    Free Member

As the actress said to the bishop…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help!! Orange 5 swing arm’ is closed to new replies.