Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help! my steerer tube is too short…
  • bigsam
    Free Member

so i just got a new frame (psecialized pitch XL) and the head tube is very long, as such my existing fork steerer is too short, but only by about 15mm. I have found a couple of low stems that may work but then i found these “zero stack” semi intergrated headsets, but i am unsure wether these will work,
    ta

nuke

Isn’t Pitch a normal standard external 1 1/8th headset? If so, you’re not going to get a semi integrated in there. Best bet is find a lowstack headset like a CB headset (21mm). What’s the steerer length and HT length?

CB headsets currently only £20 on CRC…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24985

…best to buy brand new as you’ll need the warranty 😉

bigsam
    Free Member

yes its a 11/8th standard external headset (its got an orbit in at the mo’) the steerer tube is 195mm and the head tube is 150mm without the headset. thanks

nuke

Tricky, even with the CB headset and a 35mm stack height stem (some FSA stems for example), you’re looking at a 11mm gap…CB headset is as low as they go so you going to have to find a 30mm stack height stem and then they’d still be a 6mm gap which may be ok 😕

bigsam
    Free Member

thanks for your help nuke, ive found this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15839 stem which looks to have an extra low stack height so i will get it and see if it will work and then get the CB headset as a lats resort as i haven’t heard grate things about them..

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Hunt out a spank spike, lowest stack height current available but only 50mm length.

Is well built and bit easier on the eye than the one above.

And CB would be a last resort, mine lasted a month before it started grinding itself to death, you will need to regularly strip, clean and grease it to stop it rusting.

trailflow
    Free Member

Are you’re bars oversize ? because that funn stem is 25.4 bar clamp

tazzymtb

what forks are they, it may be worth hunting down a new CSU and doing a fork service at the same time, depending on the fork they usually range from 80 – 150 quid.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

depending on the fork they usually range from 80 – 150 quid.

Really ? I resorted to that for a set of Reba’s and cost just over £220 ???

Daycocks carry a good range or replacement CSU’s.

Other option is selling what you have and picking up a new set, in hindsight that’s what I should have done in the first place (after doing the spank spike / CB headset and CSU)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help! my steerer tube is too short…’ is closed to new replies.