Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help me with my summer holiday to the French Alps – please!
  • campalumpa
    Free Member

We are two families looking for somewhere to base ourselves for a camping holiday with lift assisted xc nearby plus decent road biking to tick off some more hors categorie road climbs. All ideally from the door. Kids (and adults) pretty capable but not into proper full body armour DH or super steep stuff. The kids are also averse to riding uphill for very long (youngest is 8).

Want somewhere that is not too busy in late July/early Aug (is there such a place?), without braking bumps everywhere and reasonably accessible from val d’sere as that is the first port of call.

We have been to alpe d’huez valley twice, it ticked all the above boxes, loved it but want somewhere different. Ideally with a lake to swim in nearby or at the very least a municipal swimming pool. I did think of Barcelonnette but it is a pig to get to from Val d’isere.

Any suggestions?

TIA

onehundredthidiot

Annecy

dantsw13

Errr – Val D’Isere!! There and Tignes free lift pass, plus access to all lake activities and pool!!

djglover
    Free Member

Went to Samoens with the family last year. I did road and mtb all locally and there is plenty for the family to do, tree top activity thing, swimming lake, nice traditional market town. Was aided a lot by the fact we found a Chalet with a pool though. I would certainly return

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

although it is usually seen as full on DH nirvana Morzine has plenty for all the family to do as well as an awesome lift system and plenty of green trails or off-piste to tackle as well as numerous road climbs.

It’s quite a strange place in that as well as loads of mainly British DH riders you have young couples, young families, old couples, hikers and bikers etc all holidaying in perfect harmony. Never seen any trouble as everyone gets their adrenaline rush on the trails during the day.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Want somewhere that is not too busy in late July/early Aug (is there such a place?), without braking bumps everywhere and reasonably accessible from val d’sere as that is the first port of call.

I think most lifts should be open July/August, but it may be worth avoiding the hotspots (Morzine / Les Gets / Chamonix) unless you’re prepared to wander off-piste to find uncrowded trails (which, to be fair, isn’t too difficult as the lift access is very good).

We found a little bikepark in Vosges with lift access, but it was only open for a few days per week. Where I’m going with this is that are other mountain ranges that will be far less touristy – pick a region and have a Google.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help me with my summer holiday to the French Alps – please!’ is closed to new replies.