Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Help me Singletrackworld you're my only hope
  • z1ppy

😉 I have tried unsuccessfully to locate replacements, so haveing failed miserably I turn to you… I want some replacement “tops” for an inherited B&D D3000 3 Way (step) ladder. Got given them when we moved my partner grandparent into a retirement flat, and there really useful but there dangerous unstable when used a step ladders, as the tops don’t fit together.
    As you can see from the photo’s, Sandy did a great job many year ago of replacing one side, but the other hasn’t held up so well. Any idea where I could get some replacements?

IMG_1068 by z1ppy2, on Flickr

IMG_1069 by z1ppy2, on Flickr

or am I doomed to fall off them one day? 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hmmm.
    Ladders…

Singletrackworld…

Worldclassaccident to the forum – worldclassaccident to the forum please!

pictonroad

damaged ladders. Straight in the bin please.

wwaswas

It’s badly repaired 40 year old ladder.

I’d do the decent thing and take it to the tip and stop at Wickes on the way home for a new one.

z1ppy

But they work fine as ladder? (& probably the 2nd position though I’ve never tried that).. Just not so well as step-ladders

Either way they won’t be binned, as they do work safetly, but I’ll have to look for another step ladder solution (taking up more space in the garage)

midlifecrashes

Don’t take it anywhere until you saw the top off in case some other eejit tries to use them. They’ve done enough, let them go.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bin, absolutely.

Think about what’ll happen if that fails.

wwaswas

just buy a step ladder, then?

Seriously – as pointed out above WCA nearly lost his foot in a ladder related incident with a fully functional ladder.

It’s really not an area where it’s worth taking any risks with a bodge for the sake of £40.

z1ppy

..the point was I’m looking for ‘proper’ replacement tops, not a bodge solution, if I can’t get them (which is looking likely), I won’t be able to use them…

wwaswas

if I can’t get them (which is looking likely)

it’s cos they’re 40+ years old – that’s a *very* old version of the black and decker logo font.

zippykona

Zippy if you die can I have your user name?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you could just call yourself trippy if you fall

it may get as misunderstood as Junkyard though 😉

wwaswas

You think your user name confuses people!

Junkyard
    Free Member

How you saying that again 😉

wwaswas

I don’t have Lazarus next to my user name, though. That must be a heavy burden.

ww-as-was

z1ppy

zippyK, some-one else has the z”i”ppy username, hense my z”1″ppy & I re-registered pretty darn quick after the hack. Never seen it in use, checking it’s got 1 bleedin post FFS, ask the mods for it (though ppl seem to get confused between us now… that’ll add majorly to it).

40 years old is pushing it a bit shirely… and it didn’t necessarily have to be B&D parts

wwaswas

It’s the logo they used in the 1970’s. Could be 35 years 😉

z1ppy

see now your just telling me there almost antique (just like me) and should be preserved for posterity :mrgreen:

maxtorque

It would be easy enough to get a machine shop to cnc you some, or you could just buy a sheet of nylon from Ebay, and get too it with a hacksaw.

Both options will take more ££ and hrs than buying a new ladder obviously, but if you’re like me, you hate throwing away old stuff that still works!

jonahtonto
    Free Member

a new stepladder is going to be a lot more than £40

trail_rat
    Free Member

50 quid will get you up to 1.28m at screwfix.

Id also bin them , is it worth the pain ?

z1ppy

As per Max, I hate throwing stuff away, and they work well in the other formats (that don’t rely on the top stops), so just wondering if they could be repaired/parts replaced rather than buying new. Was only enquiring, want expecting a backlash over it 😳

bol

want expecting a backlash over it

I thought you’d been here before?

wwaswas

Sorry if I was too harsh. Just seen a few people badly injured by using defective equipment and whilst ‘not throwing stuff away’ is good I think a line has to be drawn somewhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can upcycle it. Into firewood.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cant freakin believe it. I have just been emailed a link to this thread by someone I don’t know. Thanks rrj6675…..

Yes, replace the ladder.

I never knew so many people read the ankle thread but I am glad some good may have come from it.

z1ppy

You can upcycle it. Into firewood

It’s solid aluminium set, only the plastic tops have been replaced with shaped hardwood.
    BTW I did mention they were dangerous in my original post & hoped for a the repair it’ rather than “bin it” 😯
    After all £50 is not pocket change, & if ‘proper’ replacement parts for £10 were available, that what I’m after.

jamesfuller
    Free Member

Get some aluminium tops milled and anodised. (maybe a cheeky syncros sticker too) its the only way to restore a retroladder

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Help me Singletrackworld you're my only hope’ is closed to new replies.