Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help me set my Talas up please :(
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Rode them today and they felt harsh – maybe too much air in them (sag was about 25%)

I am 82Kg in full kit if that matters.

So pressure wise – i will aim for 25-30% sag

Rebound – how many clicks is good?
    Compression – more = harder to compress on low speed bumps?

I know RTFM – but it makes little sense!!

From the manual i need:
    80psi and around 30mm sag at 140mm
    6 clicks of rebound
    lockout threshold on the bottom – 1 click in form full clockwise
    Compression – 4 in form full clockwise

Can anyone concur?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Can anyone concur?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hi Gee – are these 32s or 36s? The 32s are quite firm in their high speed compression tune (which you can't adjust). I have a pair of Float 32s as well (considerably heavier than you) and find them quite firm withj the spring set technically right.

Low speed compression is adjustable. The more you have the more the fork will keep propped up over rolling terrain. It's about the shape of the terrain – so think of a small bowl shapped hole with a smooth shape rather than a square edge shape. With more low speed compression on, the fork will roll into the bowl without compressing as much. You can use low speed compression to allow you to pump more effectively through rolling terrain.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

32s

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

so more low speed compression is good for pumping through smooth stuff? what about repeated rock hits?

geetee1972
    Free Member

It's a balance between the right spring rate and the right amount of rebound damping. If the rebound is set too slow, i.e. more rebound damping (shown as a '+') on the fork, then the fork won't have time to recover before the next hit. This causes it to pack down and feel harsh. Too much rebound and you end up with a pogo stick. The thing is I am not sure whether then rebound adjuster is for low speed rebound or high speed; I have a feeling that it might be for low speed as I remember a video on Mojo's website that showed a Fox fork working with clearly faster high speed rebound than had been set on the dial. The video questioned why so many people run ran their rebound so fast when the high speed rebound worked independently. I could be completely wrong about that and it probably doesn't help!

Low speed compression stiffens the fork up in rolling terrain, or in braking or cornering so yes, more low speed helps you pump the bike. How much is up to you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help me set my Talas up please :(’ is closed to new replies.