Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help me keep organised : freelance – paper trail!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Hey guys I dont want to shell out for an accountant yet as its only the real simple stuff but I wouldn't mind a little helping hand

ok so this is what I do so far.

1, invoice with date
    2, receive cash into a current account (used solely for business)
    3, print off a copy of the invoice, mark date paid
    4, every month print off statement of said account
    5, any cash that leaves the business account (expenses keep receipts and write on, keep in a poly pocket per month)

6, what do I do with cash I want to take out and put into my other current account, should I just take it out and say "wage to self" or doesn't that matter so much as im self employed and not ltd?

with any hope I can manage my expenses so I dont end up paying much or any tax after the year but I dont want to get in a fuddle now 🙂

any experience greatly welcomed 🙂 also an idea of an accountants cost on a self trader with a small turnover per year?

alexxx
    Free Member

I do have a savings account that I could use to put money I think is for tax if thats a good idea? so if I take £400 out in cash put £80 in the tax account? if thats right, I dont even know if tax is 20%?

Also national insurance payments, Im suprised after registering a few weeks ago that I havent heard about payments for this? I thought it was monthly or something? anyone I can ring about this?

meehaja
    Free Member

could probably do with talking to an accountant (i'm not one) my mum is though, and she looks after my brother in lasw company, that started as ebay sales then went a bit bigger. just helps to know you're doing things right when its small and easy, so if business picks up there's less nasty suprises waiting

alexxx
    Free Member

any benefit in having a local accountant or would someone like your mum be suitable for me ? 😀

neilb67
    Free Member

Have a look at Sage's free "Sage Invoicing". I'm a self employed race mechanic and is spot on for me.

toys19
    Free Member

I would find a good accountant, get them to fix their fee's up front. I have a good one, they save my company 10 times what they cost. I used to think I could do all these things myself but the accountants know all the tricks.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Get an accountant or you'll waste time that could be spent on sales/work.

helsbels
    Free Member

HMRC (Local Business Centres) run courses on self assessment, becoming self employed etc. which tell you what paperwork they want you to keep if you want to do it yourself.

Usually the courses are about 3 hours long – they used to even give you a coffee and biscuit but cutbacks may have stopped this perk!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help me keep organised : freelance – paper trail!’ is closed to new replies.