Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • help me choose a CX bike
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

i want a cross bike but never had one before and not sure whats good / bad. Got a few on my shortlist so just wondering if any of these are really bad or really good for the price…

Scott CX Comp

Canondale XR9

Trek X0_1

Kinesis Crosslight Pro 5 (or even the cheaper kinesis 4t)

Focus Mares (or the expert model)

i know theres quite a few there, but not really sure which frames are good, and what makes a good cross bike. I know about the different shimano groupsets, but not too sure about the quality of wheels or what the canti brakes are like on the various models.

I'm not planning on using the bike to commute on, just winter riding on road + forest trails + singletrack.

thanks for in advance for any help!!

Starrman28
    Free Member
    epicsteve
    Free Member

I don't know much about CX bikes either however when our company signed up to the bike-to-work scheme and I wanted a tourer/commuter a CX bike seemed to tick all the boxes. I ended up going with the Tricross Sport as it was under the £1000 that the scheme was limited to.

Given the choice I'd have preferred a bike with discs however the mini-V's that my bike came with are pretty good and I've not had any of the juddering issues that some have encountered.

On-road it's a tad slower than the road bike I had before it (Giant OCR3T) but still pretty quick. Off-road I've only done some gentle trails but it coped better than I'd expected. It's a different experience to even a rigid MTB but still fun.

firestarter
    Free Member

test a ridley before buying if you go that way the sizing is a bit mad 😉

smiffy

I'm really pleased I have disc brakes on mine, the aesthetes will tell you otherwise, but I prefer binning pads to rims.

nbt

I've got a Kinesis 4T for commuting. Not much clearance for bigger tyres if you have mudguards: I'm running 28mm tyres as I do a fair bit of road, but I don;'t reckon I could go any bigger with the guards. WIthout guards it would be fine with 32mm tyres. Can't say I know much about CX bikes other than that I tried mine for size and it was fine so I bought it

Starrman28
    Free Member

Disc's are overkill on a cross bike, too heavy. Ridley's don't always have bottle mounts either if your thinking of using it for anything other than cross. Great bike & very popular on the cross circuit.

nbt

oh yes good point. I have canti brakes on mine – bit of a faff to set up, but they stop me just fine. In 12 months though I've been through 3 sets of brake pads, changed the front rim after 7 months and the rear rim last month

momentum
    Free Member

Planet X Uncle John gets good reviews and has disc mounts. Personally, having ridden my cross check on various bits of singletrack and for winter commuting with and without a front disc brake, I wouldn't get a bike without disc mounts for the uses you envisage. You might not need them for cross racing, but they make messing about in the woods a lot more fun and they make stopping in the rain on the road a much nicer experience!

terrahawk
    Free Member

discs are great on cross bikes, but they do add a fair bit of weight.
    How about a Ragley Rodwell?

vinnyeh

I've got an XO2, which is really rather nice, but a little expensive for your budget.
    However, if you're going to use it as you say, I'm going to suggest a little bit of heresy- look for a frame with mudguard eyelets- you'll appreciate them on winter roads, fireroads etc, and also bottlecage mounts- a camelback just won't feel right. If you find something with discs or disc mounts that might be nice as well- rims especially for nice factory wheels don't come cheap, and they don't last long in some parts of the country.
    Apart from that, like always, you're probably going to be best off with the bike that fit you the best.

nigelj
    Free Member

I've a 4t that I would like to sell if you don't mind second hand, size 57.Used it for commuting last winter. Gears and wheels are pretty tired so probably not worth posting but if your local and you'd like the bike you could take them away are they are still usable.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did the same as epicsteve. Guards and rack and ride to work. Again, I wish I'd had discs just because they're more consistant in bad weather and easier to live with. I didn't like the mini Vs at first as you have to set the pads extremely close to the rim. I tried the bike with froglegg style and mid profile canti brakes but actually, the mini gave the most power and doesn't suffer from judder. I just keep the wheels extra tight and true to clear the pads. I've taken it off road a few times and it seems to do the job although i doubt it would be competitive at a race.

Starrman28
    Free Member

ntb, you use your brakes too much 8O….

nbt

I'm soft 🙂

and I commute on roads, where I need to brake, and offroads, where the surface is gritty

Beagleboy

Don't suppose anyone could actually help me GET my CX bike? 🙄

I tried out the Genesis Vapour, but I liked the look of the Genesis Croix de Fer so much that I ordered one from my local bike shop via the Cyclescheme almost two months ago. The shop's assurances that I'd get the bike within days….sort of turned into an admission that there aren't any 2009 models left in the country. However, I was then assured I'd be getting a newerer, betterer 2010 model and that it was on it's way and I'd get it this week! Yay!

Except of course, according to the Genesis site, the 2010 models aren't launched for at least another month or so…Boo! I'd also be very surprised if the spec matches up to last years. Boo!

Does anyone know what actually happens if the Cyclescheme voucher isn't redeemed before the cutoff date printed on it? I only ask because the good old Univeristy of Glasgow has already started taking the money off me! 🙄

I just want my new bikey, please? 😥

B.

pypdjl
    Free Member

The date on the voucher isn't a problem, assuming they get the bike eventually then the voucher will still be ok,

Kuco

The only thing with the Cannondale CX bikes is that they size them very weird, nothing like their road frames so try before you buy one. Get the right size and they are nice though.

acjim
    Free Member

A mate has a Focus Mares Disc – very nice for the money

firestarter
    Free Member

ive had a few cx bikes depends on your needs really as an out and out cx bike the columbus xwing cant be beaten i dont think but no bottle mounts.

i had a lovely alan that had bottle mounts but nowt else

cannondale was lovely but harsh on the arse

my current surly crosscheck is the best all rounder by a long shot
    touring set up guards and 35mm landcruisers

baby 29er set up , with bonty 29er 1.8 xr tlr tyres

also runs great on the road with road tyres on if needed but i do clubruns in winter with the 35mm landcruisers (hard work mind lol)

smiffy

in response to the disc brakes "overkill" and "weight" comments above;

. The OP does not mention going to race against skinny Belgians. Does weight really matter here? can anyone actually notice? I honestly don't know if my disc brakes are heavy or not, I suppose to me they are not, since I never thought about it. Perhaps I'm prepared to admit that I carry more balast under my belt than the "overkill" parts on my bike. Most MTBs are way over-braked these days, I don't see any backlash there. Should anyone in Southern England have 8" rear disc brakes, or is that overkill? plenty do. Living at the foot of the Black Mountains it was a no-brainer to eschew rim brakes as soon as discs were available, I apply the same logic to the 'cross bike, too.

boxelder

If buying to ride in the Lakes, you'll probably want lower gearing than many CX bikes have. I've got a triple on mine (52/42/36 I think) and 12-28 cassette (will change to compact double though – 50/34 would be ideal). Running discs too, as I found cantis a bit wimpy.
    From your links, I'd go for the Kinesis (gearing, F&F quality), or if looking to save money, the Focus (though you won't get Wheelbase back up on it)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I've got a FOCUS Nares Cross, and its spot on IMHO

The frame is made By Kinesis, so no dramas there.

Ridleys are renowned for being a harsh ride.

the_lecht_rocks

i'm considering the Tricross Comp too……although am now considering alternatives….doh !

Bimbler
    Free Member

I've got a Focus Mares Cross expert and absolutely love it, even more than my mtb. However the ride is a tad harsh it's a racing bike after all and it has no rack mounts or mudguard eyelets on the rear if that bothers you. That Surly ^^^ looks great as an all rounder

I had the same antipathy towards canti's when I first got my bike and longed for discs however after owning it for a while now I realised you don't actually need disc brakes as much as I thought – just brake less. If you're gonna ride CX in exactly the same way and in the same places as your mtb then you might as well just ride your mtb?

If I could afford it and I didn't already have a dedicated crosser I'd probably get a Singular Peregrine, which is designed for disc brakes.

In monstercross guise

seifahmad
    Free Member

I started off with an easton cx90 carbon fork and cantis up front but endured the most awful judder, despite trying all the tricks, getting the straddle wire the right height, toeing in and out the pads and changing compounds

eventually gave up and went for a front disc and have a canti rear
    find the disc adds weight yes but gives me reliable stopping

ps, if i could have only one bike this would be it (other bike is a tinbred ss)

pps can anyone help me host the pic ?

momentum
    Free Member

Just to add a bit m,ore – I've got a cross check with a winwood carbon disc fork. Very versatile bike that I have used for winter commuting, fixed and with guards and racks, "monstercorss" with 1.8" tyres, both singlespeed and 1×9, and now setting up with CX tyres and singlespeed for some cross racing this winter. Nice comfy ride for road commuting and good and nippy handling off road. Not the lightest frame ever, but that's only an issue if you are racing IMO.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘help me choose a CX bike’ is closed to new replies.