Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • HELP! is this fixable? BB area – deep cable rub.
  • brakes
    Free Member

hi – anyone know if I can patch this up? fill it with resin?
    happened in a short space of time – there was an ally plate over it but just slightly in the wrong place!

it’s gone into the carbon weave.

mtbfix

If it were mine I’d be protecting that area of the frame or rerouting the cable and keeping an eye on it but certainly not losing any sleep.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said. No fix will add any strength, and i doubt much has been lost.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mix a bit of resin and fill the hole, if just to stop water getting into the fibres and delaminating, then protect with a plate etc.

cookeaa

If you wanted to be a bit more certain fill out the divet with resin then lay an extra layer or two of carbon over it, but it won’t be doing a huge amount…

Whatever you do, sort out the cable routing afterwards…

brakes
    Free Member

thanks guys, I didn’t think it would be terminal but there is a pinhole where it looks like it’s gone right through the shell and there’s a loose fibre.
    I’ll fill it with resin and find a decent cover.

robdob
    Free Member

Maybe put longer cable on to stop it rubbing? My Pitch has cables going under the BB (160mm travel frame) and the cables on the bike built by Spesh were much longer under the BB so they don’t touch the shell.

brakes
    Free Member

yeah, it’s a Stumpy so similar – the bike just looks weird with cables any longer, but I guess that’s what works.

rickon
    Free Member

Let all the air out of the shock, loosen the cable Guides and compress the shock as far as it will go. Make sure the cables are as close to the Bb without them touching it, clamp the Guides down, put air back in the shock. Sorted. Cables will now be the perfect length.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Just squash in some fruit cake. It’ll be funny if nothing else.

superleggero
    Free Member

@bikeneil

What a waste of fruitcake!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘HELP! is this fixable? BB area – deep cable rub.’ is closed to new replies.