Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Help choosing full suss Xc
  • beaney
    Free Member

As per title, I’ve just tried the hardtail thing but want to go back to full suss.

I had a kona four supreme which I loved but they are pretty hard to find now. I want an Xc bike that’s also capable of a couple of trips to Wales each year. 100mm travel front and rear should be adequate.

I’ll be buying second hand and thinking along the lines of kona hei hei, or giant anthem. Is there anything else of a similar type that I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

druidh
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Blur XC

somouk
    Free Member

Older stumpy FSRs are 120mm so not far off?

ibnchris

I ride a Titus x which works pretty well in the lakes and Wales etc but also rides well as a xc race bike

Northwind

Anthems are bloomin awesome, and bloomin awesome value.

Currently getting on very well with my Camber though- it’s a 120mm bike and a bit slower/heftier than an equivalent Anthem but it’s a bit more confidence inspiring too- anthem punches way above its weight but it’s still an xc bike at heart, camber feels heppy to do xc but I can sling it down dh trails too without feeling like death is waiting behind a tree.

But give me a month and I might have fallen out with it.

transapp
    Free Member

Love my anthem, with u turn forks I can wind it up a bit for the more ballistic sections. Don’t think I’d change for anything else right now.

xcstu
    Free Member

2nd the anthem too.. bought one secondhand a while back… you see a few at races and for a good reason 🙂

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have an Anthem X. I downsized from a Reign. Lower BB, and more pedal strikes, but I run 100mm/130mm Dual Position Pike frankenforks, and I really like it.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Giant Anthem is certainly a well like bike.

Boardman FS also worth considering.

99.9% of UK trails can be ridden on a 100mm FS without dramas.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Another happy Anthem user here.Mine has been ridden hard at Afan and certainly is capable of more than you`d think for something that only has 100mm travel.

dadster21
    Free Member

Yeti ASR – once ridden you will never go back….

bishbashbosh

Troutwrestler, how do you make pike frankenforks?
    Something I would be interested in doing.

dickie
    Free Member

Depends on budget but;

2010 to Present Turner DW Flux with 120mm front fork – frames come up releatively cheap now.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon – check ebay & classifieds – some about at the moment.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

If you’ve got the money a Blur XC is hard to beat.

Stiff, light, fun.

beaney
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, very much appreciated.
    I think the Santa Cruz is great but out of budget, and those that are in budget are going to be very well worn!

The Titus looks great and there seem to be a couple about that are a few years old, but very good spec. The only problem is that the bikes for sale are at the other end of the country so I wouldn’t be able to try them, and with the varying top tube lengths it might be a bit of a risk to buy without riding one.

I think though I will be going for an anthem. Love the look of your anthem xcstu! I was leaning that way, but all of the above comments have confirmed that I think that’s the right decision. There are also a few very good deals on new 2010 and 2011 spec bikes which mean that i can buy new and with warranty etc which is brilliant.

Thanks again everyone.

organic355
    Free Member

I wouldnt rule out a turner Flux if you dan find one for a good price, theres adecent one on ebay for £850 at the moment.

And any excuse to post mine too 🙂

beaney
    Free Member

Lovely bike organic……what do those things weigh…..roughly!

organic355
    Free Member

Mine weighs 11.1kg (24.5lbs), the frame in medium weighs 2600g (roughly) 🙂

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have a basically immaculate Whyte E5 for sale if you are interested? It’s a medium and has literally done 5 rides – selling it for a mate who is now too ill to ride.

Email in profile if interested.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Test rode about a dozen bikes earlier this year looking for something similar and concluded the Scott Spark RC was a superb xc bike, in this case, xc in the race sense. The rest just felt mostly like playing in the woods bikes. Good but not really what I wanted. I’d recommend my approach, go demo tons of bikes and find what you want!

beaney
    Free Member

Thanks organic….the Turner on ebay doesn’t look as nice as yours though!

Boris, thanks for the offer but i think the Whyte will be a bit too beefy for what i need.

Ti – thanks for the info. I am planning on riding a few and that’s great advice, but was just asking you wise people what I should be considering. I love the Spark RC but personally didn’t like the lower models as much…..and they’re the ones that I can afford!

LMT
    Free Member

Older Trek fuel ex’s run at 100mm great bikes and soak up the trails really well, but would second/third the giant anthem great bikes.

I currently ride a speshi camber, and to copy the above comments its awesome on dh parts of the trails.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Mojo SL – there I’ve said it and I’ll say it on every What FS thread. Maintaining my complete biased – opinion.

sefton
    Free Member

I’ve got a Turner Flux and came from a 100mm HT – I love it!

I cot 120 U turns that wind down to 90mm

xcstu
    Free Member

beaney

You know you want an anthem 🙂

slightly older pic

murgyboy
    Free Member

Hi, sorry to chip into your post but I am selling what I think is the best XC Carbon Bike – I am a huge Santa Cruz fan and now just built a highball hardtail…. have a look at the below and let me know if theres any interest… Thanks, Matt

I am selling a 2012 Santa Cuz Blur (carbon Grey and red Santa cruz branding), Fox f Series 32 forks and DT Swiss XR 400 wheels with maxxis tyres.

All parts are in amazing condition (even the forks have been helitaped) -. I purchased this in November 2011 and thought that I would be out during winter but only managed the five times. Since then I have built a Santa cruz highball carbon hence the bits to be sold pref as a whole :

£1400 for frame ONLY… or £1700 for frame, forks and wheels – all in amazing condition… This would cost approx £3,500 RRP

Santa Cruz Blur xc carbon large frame with fox float RP 32 (carbon grey and red decor) RRP £2499 (on
    Iine at Santa cruz)

Fox F Series 32 100 travel RLC Rebound Adjust Tapered RRP £642 (today on-line)

DT Swiss XR 400 chub hubs with cross mark tyres

http://www.flickr.com/photos/murgyboy/

*this is also listed locally so may be sold prior

Santa cruz description

Representing our first foray into carbon fiber, the Blur XC turned most preconceived notions about lightweight bikes upside down. Incredibly light, yet at the same time much stiffer and stronger than its aluminum predecesor, the carbon fiber Blur XC set a new benchmark for cross-country expectations. Combining our proprietary one piece carbon fiber layup process with the proven ride of VPP suspension resulted in a bike that offers superb suspension and razor sharp performance. Now freshly redesigned, the Blur XC ups the ante again; a tapered headtube increases front end strength and rigidity, while further optimization of our carbon process has allowed us to trim even more weight from the bike. Lighter and stronger? rejoice.

FRAME FEATURES
    Full Carbon frame with one piece lay-up
    105mm rear wheel travel
    VPP multi pivot frame design
    Recommended/Compatible with fork sizes 100mm to 120mm (*Tapered)
    Recommended rear max tire size – 2.35″
    Disc brake specific design, rotors up to 185mm
    Frame weight with RP23 Air rear shock – Approx 4.1lbs

beaney
    Free Member

Thanks fr that Murgy. It looks fantastic and certainly would love it but unfortunately it quite a bit over budget. Really don’t want to spend over a grand for a complete bike.

Xcstu, please stop tempting me………very very nice bike and can’t wait to demo one this weekend!

Thanks all.

birky
    Free Member

Really don’t want to spend over a grand for a complete bike.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p3493

beaney
    Free Member

Cheers birky. I’ve already made the call and arranged to go there tomorrow! Great minds and all that!
    Cheers

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing full suss Xc’ is closed to new replies.