Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)
  • Helmets – Again – I know
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I always wear on on the MTB off road.

I’ve been commuting to London these last few months and never do but I’m now about the 1 in a 100 who doesn’t based on all the other riders I see.

I’m starting to wonder if I’m just thick but I still don’t see the point, despite the odd comment from other riders about it I’m not going to change either.. Statistically I’ve a much higher chance of getting a head injury in my car or walking but I don’t wear a helmet for those things.

For those that do can I ask what actual evidence swayed you, please can we not have the usual my friends, brothers, uncle’s sister fell on her head and would have died without one?

rocketman
    Free Member

I think flying head first towards a tree and then picking bits of bark out my crash helmet swayed it for me

Kryton57

For those that do can I ask what actual evidence swayed you?

a) The quite obvious evidence that was my helmet lying in two pieces after a crash in 2012.

b) the 1″ deep hole in my helmet structure after an accident which left me with concussion, whiplash and fractured nose three weeks ago.

Both of which I’m happy weren’t my skull.

kayak23

If you’re happy not to, why not just leave it at that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s the law here, makes things simple. Just like seat belts.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7raIxrzodt4[/video]

joolsburger
    Free Member

Because I like to make my decisions based on the evidence TBH I am always happy to admit to being wrong and changing my behaviour. I get that Kryton I really do but it’s not statistically significant is it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the evidence is hard to get as it’s really hard to do what would have happened analysis. Then there are some very limited studies on driver behaviour and lids, then there is some other stuff.

My evidence is that bones heal, brains don’t.

alanf
    Free Member

A friend fell off at low speed without a helmet and ended up with a brain haemorrhage, emergency op and a good few months off work.

Kryton57

Because I like to make my decisions based on the evidence TBH I am always happy to admit to being wrong and changing my behaviour.

The quite obvious evidence that was my helmet lying in two pieces after a crash in 2012.

That wasn’t enough for you? Do you have a wife & kids?

joolsburger
    Free Member

OK so here is my thought process, If nobody wore one as standard would London’s cycling population as a whole be safer or worse off? Just standing at the lights this morning I got thinking is it me or is cycling really that dangerous that we need helmets, the evidence seems lacking.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You may only need it if you fall off or get knocked off.
    Don’t fall off or get knocked off.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Is this a real thread or just a ‘look at me’ troll – really can’t work it out.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Day to day cycling is such a generally safe activity that evidence other than anecdotal is very hard to come by as to whether helmets are essential safety device or a head ornament. Datasets of accidents are so sparsely and incompletely populated, that not much can be inferred from them either way.
    All I can say is choose whatever evidence you like, and be thoughtful in your judgement of others who chose differently.

stumpy01

joolsburger – Member

For those that do can I ask what actual evidence swayed you, please can we not have the usual my friends, brothers, uncle’s sister fell on her head and would have died without one?

First of all it feels ‘wrong’ when I don’t wear one – similar to not wearing a seatbelt in the car – just because it is something that has become so ‘normal’ for me. If I don’t wear a helmet when cycling it doesn’t feel right.

Secondly, a friend used to always cycle to work without a helmet. He used to race, had ridden for years and was a careful rider. Driving to work one day, there was a commotion ahead with a woman guiding traffic (turned out to be another friend) with a mangled red steel road bike with green panniers crushed under a Ford Focus, which I immediately recognised as this friend’s bike.
    He’d been hit by the car at the roundabout – the driver basically crossed the roundabout without slowing enough to see if anything was coming from her right and t-boned him.
    He smacked his head on the kerb by one of the roundabout bollards & split his head open near the temple. It all turned out OK, but he took a real whack to the head & now has a large scar. He now always rides with a helmet.

Third, a friend of my Wife’s was cycling through her village without a helmet on. She doesn’t remember what happened, but she fell off, hit her head on the pavement/road & is now virtually blind in one eye. The doctors don’t really know why, but she lost sight straight away (I think she can just see murky grey shapes) and it has never come back.

Lastly, I crashed my bike into the back of a parked car while distractedly looking back at my rear mech to try & identify an irritating ticking noise – miraculously no damage to the car, but completely split my helmet in two.
    Cycled home and had abrasion marks on my forehead from the foam inserts against my head during the impact but no other damage or effects (headache for a while). I can’t be sure, but I don’t think I would have got up & walked home after hitting a toughened glass window at about 16mph had I not been wearing a helmet.

EDIT – I meant to say “OOPS, I’ve not done that right 😆 ” but forgot…..must have been that bang to the head.

Kryton57

Is this a real thread or just a ‘look at me’ troll – really can’t work it out.

Yep, I’m giving up based on the fact there’s enough content in here without my own contribution to convince me to wear one. He must be trolling, I’m busy hence I’m off.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Can I suggest that not looking where you’re going and crashing is kind of a little bit your fault?

Kryton sorry you’re off as this isn’t a troll, I’d hoped for a logical discussion without too much emotion in fact.

In Holland no helmets yet no issues, here in London most people wear helmets yet 9 crushed fatalities this year. I simply wonder if helmets are giving some absolution for those who in fact should work to improve road safety through better means, addressing cause and not trying to mitigate effect? I’m not suggesting for a moment that helmet users are wrong but I genuinely feel safer and more engaged/connected to events without one.

nickc

sometimes i do, sometimes I don’t, and if I’m being honest; logic or evidence rarely has anything to do with it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Would you ride a bike across a playing field or down a medow type hill without a helmet.
    I would.
    Would you walk a logn a road without a helmet.
    I would.
    Helmets off some protection if you fall off a bike, then are not made to protect against impact with a fast movign car. A helmet would offer some small level of protection in this situation though, but it would offer the same protection if I was walking and hit by a car.
    The risk of being involved in a accident if pretty darn small, so I don’t ware a helmet commuting. Do what you feel comfortable with but jsut don’t push it on to others. That is the biggest problem, people gettign so upset by other doing not the same thing that they do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In Holland no helmets yet no issues, here in London most people wear helmets yet 9 crushed fatalities this year. I simply wonder if helmets are giving some absolution for those who in fact should work to improve road safety through better means, addressing cause and not trying to mitigate effect? I’m not suggesting for a moment that helmet users are wrong but I genuinely feel safer and more engaged without one.

In holland they mostly appear to ride with no regard for anyone else and expect everyone to avoid them.
    Helmet won’t help with crushing
    If you feel safer and more engaged without then why do you zone out with one on? Is that not more of a problem that you can’t remind yourself to pay attention?

warns74
    Free Member

In Holland no helmets yet no issues

Is this statement based on “actual evidence” too?

If you dont want to wear one it’s your call, it’s not law, but most people on here who cycle regularly will either know someone or have had a personal experience where they were bloomin glad they were wearing a helmet.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Day to day rides to local shops or bike path/canal pootles, no helmet
    Anything I’d class as a “proper ride” either off/on road, helmet worn

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes it is, Holland does have a lower fatality rate per 1000km ridden than any other EU state.

I see this is becoming adversarial and the evidence isn’t actually evidence, so I’m out.

soobalias
    Free Member

http://www.lfgss.com/conversations/128549/

come back when you have read it.

ransos
    Free Member

a) The quite obvious evidence that was my helmet lying in two pieces after a crash in 2012.

A thin piece of polystyrene snapped in two?

Northwind

TheBrick – Member

Would you walk a logn a road without a helmet.
    I would.

I’m less likely to fall over at 30mph when walking, probably less likely to fall full stop, and probably going to land better if I do.

That’s not necessarily an argument for helmets- the risks are still so low. It just means it’s not an argument for not wearing helmets, the risks aren’t the same.

Me, I’ve smashed in a few helmets, perfectly happy to have been wearing them. But I’ve also been told by a doctor that my helmet saved my life, when I wasn’t wearing one

mikewsmith
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member
    Yes it is, Holland does have a lower fatality rate per 1000km ridden than any other EU state.

The infrastructure and set up is so different it’s incomparable with the UK.

larkim
    Free Member

Wearing a helmet makes me look like an idiot; they look utterly stupid.

But if in a 1 in a million accident happens and that helmet means I’ll see my wife and kids that night, for £30 and looking like a plonker I am prepared to do it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

But if in a 1 in a million accident happens and that helmet means I’ll see my wife and kids that night, for £30 and looking like a plonker I am prepared to do it

Why? Those look like pretty long odds. As I said in post one the chance of head injury walking or driving is higher so why no helmet then?

ransos
    Free Member

But if in a 1 in a million accident happens and that helmet means I’ll see my wife and kids that night, for £30 and looking like a plonker I am prepared to do it.

Car or bike?

aracer
    Free Member

I never wear one for the majority of my cycling trips – though I suspect the evidence base I’m using for that isn’t terribly relevant to you 😉

The plural of anecdote is not evidence.

mooman
    Free Member

I always wear one on the mtb. Over hanging branches provide enough reasons to wear one.
    On the road bike – I very rarely wear one. It is so much more important to use whats in your head than whats on it.
    I believe that wearing a helmet gives some people a false sense of security, that if they fall off, at any speed, the helmet will save them.

Helmets are only designed for impacts up to 15mph I read. The average road bike will be doing more than this. Then add in the oncoming vehicle…

Plenty of people I know remark when I don`t wear a helmet – yet ride like loons with theirs on.
    Nope – Each to their own I say.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The docotor saying “waring a helmet saved your life” thingis really not based on anything. The doctor has no idea about how much energy was disapated by the helmet. Think there is a biaest toward thinging a bike helmet it like a motorbike helmet and assuming a greater level of protection. They offer protection no doubt the doctor guessing what saved you life if pretty much guess work of a high order.

TheBrick
    Free Member

@Northwind. I rearly get anywhere near 30mph commuting! My point was that if you would ride across a medow without a helmet on cycling is not considered too much of a danger. If you would walk along a road without a helmet then traffic is not considered too much of a danger. Now I know it not as simple adding thoese two dangers but my point is that the percption of the danger is sqewed. As I said do whatever is comfortable, but don’t try and force something on to others and state that they are running a high risk. The risk is actually very low.

warns74
    Free Member

I wouldn’t exactly class “a lower fatality rate” in Holland being the same as “no issues”.

Bruce

I look on it this way. If I am hit by a car or truck at speed then the helmet may not have much influence on my survival. When I fall off my bike and scrape your head along the floor, I would rather be wearing a helmet. At the end of the day it’s your head and your choice.

Northwind

TheBrick – Member

The docotor saying “waring a helmet saved your life” thingis really not based on anything. The doctor has no idea about how much energy was disapated by the helmet. T

If that was aimed at me, you misread- I wasn’t wearing one and the doctor still told me it saved my life.

larkim
    Free Member

1 in a million is long odds. But I love my wife and kids.

Bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I play the lottery to win on longer odds

hora
    Free Member

I know if I hit asphalt with my bone skull somethings going to happen.

With something inbetween the two I feel just alittle bit happier.

If its a long climb or a long flat bit off road I ALWAYS take my helmet off. It goes back on for dscents etc.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Dunno. I pretty much always wear one.

However, I managed to cycle into the back of a van in traffic a couple of months ago. My fault.

Left me with a broken nose and a cut to the bone on my nose – my helmet pushed my glasses into it and caused the injuries. I was pretty surprised as I know how to put it on properly, and it had retention system so didn’t move much. Drs reckoned I would’ve been less injured if I wasn’t wearing it.

Can’t say it’s made me more pro or anti helmet really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Helmets – Again – I know’ is closed to new replies.