Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Headsets with modern frame head tubes
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

So the majority of frames are now either full 1.5 (49mm) or 49mm at the bottom and 44mm at the top (tapered) head tube.

So when buying a decent quality headset what is the most common setup?

I have a full 49mm head tube so went for a chris king inset 5 however having a lot of trouble stopping the top headset cap from moving. There is literally no insertion in to the bearing.

Can’t help but think its a poor design.

Do most folk go for a full outboard set up like the devolution or is the Inset a popular choice?

As someone had suggested I have checked its not my headset spacers moving. They are within tolerance and the top tap is simply moving under pressure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tapered on a Blur LTC and I use Hope Top is a number 2, bottom is an F, fitted in 2 identical frames perfectly.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Thanks, for some reason I never thought of hope. Was just liking at king and cane creek.

I’ll have a look at the hope design.

The inset design isn’t the problem on the king, its the top cap and how it sits on the bearing. It’s a flimsily piece if alloy with such little contact area.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The hope comes with a set of shims that you can use to get the right position for the top piece of the headset (fitted the last one yesterday and it’s 3 out of 4 for the Blur)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Headsets with modern frame head tubes’ is closed to new replies.