Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Heading to Afan next Thursday/Friday-recommend me a route?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

I’m Heading to Afan next Thursday/Friday with a mate.
    Can you recommend me a route for each day that will take in Blade, Penhydd, Blue Scar and the bike park?
    Last rode Afan last March and did W2 so I’m keen to take a look at the new trails!

superfli
    Free Member

Blade on shortest day, YWall/bike park and Penhydd on other day. Thats what we did last weekend.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’d avoid the blade if I were you – we went last weekend & the trail was cutting up fairly badly in places – pretty muddy – it needs a good dry spell to let it settle – if I’d have known in advance then we’d have chosen another trail – give bike park wales a go – it’s running well at the moment

zelak999
    Free Member

Is Blade that messed up already?!!?

superfli
    Free Member

It was cutting up on the Berms last sat, 2nd day it was open! But yeah, could just need time bedding in.

pgardner1
    Free Member

Go and do Blade and don’t worry about the mud, It’s an absolute classic already! Start at Afan and ride up the trail to the bottom of whites climb (which is the start of Blade) the only bit of the trail that I would avoid is the final descent, but as you are on the Skyline loop at that point too, you can just do the Skyline final descent (called Jetlag). If you have enough time you can add on the extra Skyline loop, or a bit of whites level. Then the other day, do Wall and Penhydd together, they make a nice 3 hr ride

superfli
    Free Member

I thought the final descent on Blade was a cracker! More rocks and drops, which I thought the rest of the trail was missing (the final corner is a bit silly tight though, but then you are almost stopped). Although the rest was still good in different ways.

danti

+1 for avoiding Blade unless a long dry spell, very cut up and muddy yesterday, if you want the best part final descent then just do the climb up from the centre to the fire road then head right and you’re there for it.

The descents on Blade before then aren’t worth all the climbing IMHO.

I’d do W2 if you want a longer ride with good descents and trails that are in a good state.

pgardner1
    Free Member

Superfli, I agree, the rocks and drops are superb! just the bottom section that had really cut up yesterday.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Heading to Afan next Thursday/Friday-recommend me a route?’ is closed to new replies.