Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hayfield to Jacobs Ladder
  • konasteve
    Free Member

Can anyone describe how to leave Hayfield and approach Jacobs Ladder for the decent.
    Is this a good climb ?
    Have done the route up to the shooting hut/ resovior/ then the grassy climb but always wanted to try another way up.
    We’re not locals and coming up again in June

Cheers

BadlyWiredDog

OS map? I can think of at least three ways onto the Edale Cross / Jacob’s track plus lots of variations as well, they’re all mostly good. Actually the one that starts from the Kinder Reservoir end of things is arguably the best in dry, summer conditions, but you can also start up Highgate Lane, left up to the cowfield of doom, down by the rocky wall then along past the bottom of the Coldwell Clough descent etc…

Do people not read maps these days 😉

thefallguy
    Free Member

I’d rather climb Jacobs and then enjoy the long down to Kinder reservoir, bit of a slog the other direction for a short steep down. OS mapOL1 £7.99

james
    Free Member

“bit of a slog the other direction for a short steep down”

Maybe, but what a ‘down’ it is

scuttler

Any route the involves coming down Coldwell Clough. Now there’s a descent that beckons you go faster and faster up to the point that it gets steeper, looser, off camber, and with drainage at which point you’re either whoop-de-wooing, at 0 psi, or checking all four limbs to make sure they’re still attached. Depending on your route it could be the route back into Hayfield.

konasteve
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips all. Of course we have the OS but always prefer local knowledge. Our last trip was a good trip but very slow when trying to navigate as well. We have enough loops now to keep us busy for two days, also keen to explore stanage and doctors gate but again not always easy to tell which direction is best from the map, we like technical climbing as well as decents. If anyone came to our area for the first time with an OS it would be very difficult to navigate, locals know best.

carlos
    Free Member

As I’ve posted else where try bikemap.co.uk £2.80 each mail order.

Carl

nbt

I prefer the route you’re planning, it’s tough but mostly rideable going up and a great descent, whereas climbing the ladder is mostly a push and IMO the descent into Hayfield is not as good.

to get there, go out through Elle Bank Woods as though you’re going to Coldwell Clough, then peel off for JL – or if you just want to get out there and sode the fun riding, follow the road towards Kinder Reservoir and peel off at the car park. Follow the bridleway signs though as if you stay on the road along the valley bottom the farmer is a right bloody arsehole

konasteve
    Free Member

Thanks nbt thats exactly what i wanted :o).
    and thanks for the warning, don’t want any agro.

snowslave

Doctors Gate is an acquired taste for what it is. Better off looking at something like Cut Gate imho, which is a navigational dream if you’re not familiar with the area.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hayfield to Jacobs Ladder’ is closed to new replies.