Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • having 40 winks (or something else) at work.
  • ton

just had 40 winks laid on the racking in the warehouse. it was ace.

peteimpreza

😀

kayak23

I used to build the interiors of narrowboats.

I’d been fitting out the back cabin of one and finished cutting the ply for the single bed that the mattress would sit on.

I’d often have a casual little close of the eyes as part of my working day, only this time I must have drifted off properly. I awoke to find my boss in the doorway looking at me.

Luckily he was smiling… 😳

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Not at work exactly… but just got back from lunch spent snoozing in a local church.

Quiet, warm and vpeaceful …. lovely

To think, the time I used to waste in the pub

😀

windydave13
    Free Member

Used to do that during my summer working in Greece. We’d take the trailer of rubbish to the tip and have a nap on the back of the truck in the sun

Cougar

I don’t think even I could manage 40… oh, winks, right.

Daffy

I used to work for BAE Systems in Barrow building Nuclear Subs, before they went in the water and the ballast tanks were sealed, I used to regularly find a gaggle of apprentices and fitters asleep in them.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Danger Wink innit? 😀

zilog6128

ton, earlier

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I awoke to find my boss in the doorway looking at me.

he was smiling…

Point on the teddy where he touched you…………….

thepurist

Used to work in a secure office inside a secure building on a secure site. No natural light, just the gentle hum of air con and electrical kit, and a whacking great punch code lock on the door that sounded like thunder from the inside. Ergo plenty of Friday morning hangovers slept off in there.

perchypanther
    Free Member

My boss let me try some chloroform at work.
    It made me very sleepy and gave me a really sore arse.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Genuine LOL @ TINAS

johndoh
    Free Member

In an old advertising agency artworkers’ darkroom years ago. Thought I’d have a quick nap and woke up several hours later.

Bedds
    Free Member

We had 12 blokes sacked when the whole night shift was found sleeping.. they’d even made beds in store rooms 😯

Pigface
    Free Member

Used to be next door to an office that had 3 old codgers in it, no point in asking them anything from about 13.30 to 14.30 as they were all having post lunch nap. As one of the girls said “Ah bless” 😆

zilog6128

My boss let me try some chloroform at work.
    It made me very sleepy and gave me a really sore arse.

That seems to happen to you a lot… I think you like it. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    iainc

do firemen not get paid to do this ? 🙂

newsfromthefront
    Free Member

I used to work for BAE Systems in Barrow building Nuclear Subs, before they went in the water and the ballast tanks were sealed, I used to regularly find a gaggle of apprentices and fitters asleep in them.

I used to work attend there too… we had ‘under bench bunks’ in our workshop, with sliding doors which locked from the inside (I may have slept off a few hangovers in them 😉 )

At the time, I didn’t know any different and thought this was what everyone did at work! 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Someone I knew a few years back had a reputation for falling asleep very easily.

One lunchtime he went out to do some car fettling and he didn’t return. It turned out he had fallen asleep whilst bent over in the engine bay. Thinking about it, I think he must have had an underlying medical problem 🙂

ton

most of my work is done in the mornings. van to load to go out delivering, riggers coming in to load up for the day, so after dinner it tends to be a bit quiet.
    overhead heater and a comfy reclining chair are a deadly combo…… 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d been fitting out the back cabin

😆

mcj78
    Free Member

Some of these are hilarious – guy I knew years ago worked in a place where they kept lots of animals & they had a store-room full to the rafters with large bags of sawdust, he’d arranged a corner of the room into a sort of fully enclosed nest area for himself & said it was the best sleep anyone could ever have imagined… he was always covered in sawdust though…

nealglover
    Free Member

Used to work for a big Marquee company years ago, and we had huge bags of silk lining material to dress the marquees inside.

By far the best sleep I’ve ever had was nestled in amongst those bags in a shipping container going down the M1 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fell asleep in the stalls once, 45 mins 😳 Had been out till 3am and back up at 6:15

Friend works from home and has a siesta every afternoon

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bedds – Member
    We had 12 blokes sacked when the whole night shift was found sleeping.. they’d even made beds in store rooms

Is that where you got your username?

Stoner
    Free Member

When I had an office in Mayfair and another in the City, I’ve been known to grab some shut-eye on the circle line. No matter where you wake up you’re never more than 30mins from one of the offices. You can keep going round and round half the afternoon in undisturbed bliss.

Reign_Man
    Free Member

I used to work for a large international bank, and we used to have to be in for 07:00, so I had to be up for 05:30 and on the road for 06:00. Onsite we had a sports centre that also had a lounge area that had leather sofa’s etc, so you could unwind during your lunch hour, if you so wished, And one particular day, I so wished. I had to check some patching in that area of the campus, so I thought an early lunch, then a nap.

So settling down on the largest sofa, with the days paper, I drifted off, mid dream I woke myself up with a snore that could suck windows out of their frames and the paper was stuck to my face and sofa with dribble. On removing the paper two things took me by surprise, it was quarter past 3, so I had been sleeping for 3 hours, and I was surrounded by a group of newly arrived developers from India who were on a site tour with their head of department who all looked slightly bemused (apart from the mgr), as I jumped up, mumbled about it being a lovely day then escaped through the door as quick as I could.

Dickyboy

Electrician used to sleep on the transformer (nice and warm) on night shifts at colliery I worked at years ago, would threaten to condemn something if foreman didn’t let him sleep!

Pickers

I work from home. I have blinds on my cabin windows. The mobile reception “can be” a bit iffy. I have a comfy chair too.

timber

nealglover – linings was a favourite sleeping spot when I worked for a marquee firm too. Our bags were in crates so you didn’t want to get noticed, would find yourself on the forklift in the middle of the warehouse or yard at full reach.

Afternoon naps tend to happen in summer at lunch, sat out in fields. Best to be prepared and sleep in the shade of the tractor to avoid sunburn.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Local chap North Devon Ilfracombe was still roofing at aged 70 up to a few years ago. Every lunch hour he would have a snooze in the front of the van then back to work on the dot after his hour!!

squirrelking
    Free Member

We have a sniper in our work who has a full time job on night shift especially when the fuel teams have nothing to do. I actually rarely fall asleep although I can shut my eyes and go into standby mode which is good for detecting doors opening, pagers, radio traffic and telephone calls. Usually a good way to kill an hour in the deadzone before final rounds.

We do have others with that magic button fitted to their arse though, my team leader is quite proficient at sitting in his office with the door shut, heating up and bolt upright dead to the world. He once woke up to find a pile of kitkats, mars bars and stuff had appeared on his desk courtesy of the assistant shift charge ( who from that day became known as the chocolate fairy) delivering our engagement survey incentives.

Dibbs
    Free Member

A few years ago we changed our shift pattern to 12 hour shifts, part of the deal was we where entitled to a 20 minute break every 4 hours and we where provided with a couple of “quiet rooms”, complete with four “lazy boy” reclining armchairs. 🙂 There’s a rumour that other sites (up North) had a similar deal but had Sky TV htrown in too.

senorj

I used to be a regular snoozer at work.
    On one job there’d be five or six of us on shelves for three hours every day !!
    It started affecting my sleeping patterns so I stopped.
    When I’ve done nights( not often thank goodness) I’ve had to have a little lie down.
    Then I used to like a power nap,630 -755,on early shift ,radio on full blast,but since the boy has arrived I’ve lost the ability… Pah

wilburt
    Free Member

I worked (loosely) for a large insurance company and would attend quite lengthy and very dull weekly pricing meetings with multiple presentation from actuarial teams. After a while I developed a skill to sleep witth with my eyes open and provide generic but plausible answers to questions I hadnt actually heard.

All seemed to work out quite nicely, hadnt a clue what I was doing though, hence your premiums 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

You can keep going round and round half the afternoon in undisturbed bliss.

Not any more! Circle line is now end to end!

After a while I developed a skill to sleep witth with my eyes open and provide generic but plausible answers to questions I hadnt actually heard.

If your eyes are open and you’re able to answer questions (even if you’ve not listened to the question) then surely you’re not asleep? Merely day dreaming.

I used to work with a chap who fell asleep at his desk (in a large open plan office). He’d just casually nod off and his head would droop. Then he’d end up waking himself up with a jolt and repeat. Most afternoons!

TheFlyingOx

We actually have a written procedure for night-shift workers allowing us 20 minutes kip if we feel tired. I make regular use of it.

Bedds
    Free Member

Is that where you got your username?

No.. its my surname, i was part of da management that found them 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘having 40 winks (or something else) at work.’ is closed to new replies.