Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Have you ever been embarrassed about your bike?
  • bol

I’ve had a lot of bikes that are better than I am over the years, and I’m sure that I’ve been the subject of a few “all the gear but no idea” comments. I’ve never felt self conscious about it before.

Today after a few weeks of buying and selling bits, including saying goodbye to my rather stealthy Ti road bike, the build started on my new-to-me Tarmac. As soon as I saw it on the workstand I realised just how self conscious I’m going to feel on it. It’s a proper fast looking bike, covered in logos and colour matched kit. While I think it’s the sort of bike I want to be riding, I’m not sure how happy it will be being ridden by me. Anyone else have this problem? Does it impede your enjoyment; do you get over it, or just get faster to compensate?

Bregante

Just get the pics up and get it over with 😉

ash.addy
    Free Member

If you can afford why not – you work hard and enjoy getting out on the bike why not indulge yourself. I’m planning to shortly buy a Knolly or Nicolai, they could get me into serious trouble but I enjoy what I do so two fingers up to those who do say all the gear…..

Garry_Lager

Go the whole hog and get a polka dot jersey to go with it – undercuts the embarrassment and will have you smiling as others look at you askance.

wwaswas

I’m usually embarassed that my bikes are so much more capable than I am.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    I’m usually embarassed that my bikes are so much more capable than I am.

Yup, this.. 😳

yunki
    Free Member

My bike broke wind very loudly in front of a very attractive woman once.. it was pretty smelly too..

😳

joat

There will always be somebody slower or faster than you, on a cheaper or more expensive bike. Don’t be embarrased, most people don’t ‘fit in’.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I used to ride a Merida.. 😳

IvanDobski
    Free Member

My bikes are normally embarrassed by me…

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I’m not sure how happy it will be being ridden by me

Um it’s a bike, it’s not going to be happy of sad. Just enjoy it and don’t worry what anyone else thinks ( not that they do think about you on your bike)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t be embarassed about your bike, its just a bike. You buy what you want or can afford.

Do be embarassed about your lack of fitness and technical ability though. You’ve only got yourself to blame for being shit.

wwaswas

I blame my parents. They gave me hamster lungs and no sense of balance.

jswan
    Free Member

I was slightly embarrased by my last two cheap hardtails, though they went down places where others with nicer bikes bottled it. I now have a cheapish full suss and I couldn’t care less about others, in a nice way.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

hamster lungs

😆

hora
    Free Member

I used to ride boutique frames.

Now I ride a heavily customised Enduro

mjsmke

If you can afford it and it puts a smile on your face thats all that matters.

Likewise if others cant afford as much but still enjoy it thats all that matters too.

The only problem is when people spend loads then look down on those who cant afford more than a £300 bike.

Price, speed or skill doesn’t matter. It’s how much fun you have.

wl
    Free Member

Is this real? WTF?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to ride a Merida..

I used to ride one too…………..

Mine was badged as a carrera for added insult!

mboy
    Free Member

It’s a proper fast looking bike, covered in logos and colour matched kit. While I think it’s the sort of bike I want to be riding, I’m not sure how happy it will be being ridden by me. Anyone else have this problem?

There’s one VERY simple way to solve this…

Buy bikes in very dull, inoffensive, unassuming colours. Bare Titanium is perfect, cos generally only the owner really knows how special it is and to the uninitiated it just looks like boring dull silver. Grey, Gunmetal, Matt Black and any shade of Bronze/Champagne/Hard ano are all acceptable too. All nice and “boring” looking, so nobody will expect you to look at all fast!

After all, if keeping it low key works for London cycle commuters trying to minimise bike theft by reducing attention to the bike, the same will work out on the roads/trails.

njee20
    Free Member

No

bol

Here’s a work in progress pic. Maybe it’s the wheels that tip the balance? If there were a few less logos perhaps? Im going to need matching Lycra and disco slippers.

bol

There’s one VERY simple way to solve this…
    Buy bikes in very dull, inoffensive, unassuming colours. Bare Titanium is perfect, cos generally only the owner really knows how special it is and to the uninitiated it just looks like boring dull silver. Grey, Gunmetal, Matt Black and any shade of Bronze/Champagne/Hard ano are all acceptable too. All nice and “boring” looking, so nobody will expect you to look at all fast!

And my previous (slightly too small) bike:

Thing is, I’m a sucker for a good deal, and I fancy something properly fast. Perhaps I should have factored in a stealthy respray?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The new one looks wonderful, although Im not sure for how long.

I can see a highrise stem being attached after its first outing!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Life is rather short to worry about being embarrased, I just do my own thing

…wouldn’t be seen dead on bol’s specialized though 😉

bol

Ha. No, believe it or not the head tube is actually longer than the old one, as well as being a couple of centermetres longer in the top tube. I don’t think I’ll be slamming it though. I’m a tall bloke.

sunnrider
    Free Member

@bol Hopefully you´re getting treatment for your rims addiction.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

If you can afford why not – you work hard and enjoy getting out on the bike why not indulge yourself.

This, basically.

However, I still get in a bit of a rage getting stuck behind some apocalyptic mincer on a Blur TRc dripping with XTR and BOS etc who should really be riding an Anthem X4 or something. I’m probably just jealous though…

tops5
    Free Member

Yep – last time I was round Delamere on my 8″ DH bike some bloke on a cyclocross bike started pointing and laughing

BadlyWiredDog

So who do you think is judging you [apart from David Trollfroth (12) obviously] and why does it matter?

It’s a bit like the ‘she/he is out of my league’ thing. The only person who’s worrying about it is you. Everyone else is just envious.

Personally I don’t even really notice other people’s bikes, though King of the Mountains socks are proper red rag fuel…

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve always bought bikes that I felt I was good enough for, and also ones that didn’t stand out too much (see above comment about black, grey colours).
    One thing riding an expensive bike does is make me work for it – I think I would ride a nice bike harder because it deserves it and you feel you must justify owning it. This is a good thing.
    Conversely, you’re a bit more relaxed on a cheap bike and take more pleasure in going faster than others but you don’t have to and can just cruise on it without feeling guilty.
    Expensiveish:

Cheapish:

grum
    Free Member

One thing riding an expensive bike does is make me work for it – I think I would ride a nice bike harder because it deserves it and you feel you must justify owning it. This is a good thing.
    Conversely, you’re a bit more relaxed on a cheap bike and take more pleasure in going faster than others but you don’t have to and can just cruise on it without feeling guilty.

This kind of sounds like minor mental illness TBH.

brakes
    Free Member

I think it makes me sounds like Hora, so you could be right.

orangeboy
    Free Member

If you like it and enjoy riding it then every thing is perfect.
    Cycling is about fun and nothing else (oh and maybe strava)

RealMan
    Free Member

I haven’t read the thread, but there’s two pictures of slammed bikes on it, so I’m going to assume it’s awesome. The tarmac looks proper trick, bars look super deep, gonna have so much drop. Need pictures of it fully built 🙂

I don’t think I’ve ever been embarrassed by a bike.

meehaja
    Free Member

generally I’m the rider on the cheap/old bike doing suprisingly well. Treated myself to a TCR comp1 now I’m unfit on a nice bike! Mind you, my nice bike doesnt say “I’m a good rider” it says “my LBS does 0%”

racefaceec90

no,but when i get my bmx i will feel embarrassed for riding it (as i will be crap 😳 cue plenty of covert visits to skate parks/practicing away from people due to embarrassment.seriously the bike is waay better than i could ever hope of being 😉 you only live once though 😀

mildred

No never been embarrassed about my bike, by my bike, or by riding the village bike..!

There’s been a couple I these threads lately and they genuinely baffle me. If all you can afford is an Emelle from EBay, but you still get out and ride it, great. If you can afford that new daft money carbon Specialized, but only get to ride it once per year, great. What does it matter, and who does it matter to?

Just ride what you’ve got and if you don’t like that get something else, because I doubt anybody cares.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not been embarrassed but felt conscious of them.

Had an 04 Giant DH that was old fashioned (with pedigree though – athertons used to race them) heavy and too slack. Still wanted to find the £5k to blow on a nice DH bike. But would never get much out of it. Would probably feel more conscious on a new shiney bike coming in last.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Have felt concious of it – only got one bike in running condition due to living in a small flat and its currently the 150mm travel Marin, riding along a fireroad with some mates I do occasionally reflect on how overbiked I look.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever been embarrassed about your bike?’ is closed to new replies.