Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Have you bought your Rage Against the Machine single yet?
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

If not why not? We can stop Simon Cowell but we have to stand together!

uplink
    Free Member

I can't remember the last time I bought a song & I'm not going to start again now [& it's crap]

besides – it'll take more than an internet campaign to stop Cowell

soma_rich
    Free Member

Uplink fair enough you might not like it, but do you want music that original and interesting and unique ever again?

I don't buy singles but I have bought this, its more than a campaign stand up for your right to a say in what is and isn't good music!

uplink
    Free Member

but do you want music that original and interesting and unique ever again?

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times – don't exaggerate 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is it not a bit early for next week's chart? 😕

Dave
    Free Member

We can stop Simon Cowell but we have to stand together!

Simon Cowell works for Sony.

RATM are on which label? erm…..

samuri
    Free Member

If not why not? We can stop Simon Cowell but we have to stand together!

Sadly, the people who started this campaign didn't do their research very well. Cowell owns the rights to the Rage song as well so he's laughing either way.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

I just bought it, twice. Don't buy from Amazon as it's only 29 pence and it has to cost 40 pence or more to count.

Details of what counts here: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/18g8l

snowslave

A number of people have pointed out to me that Sony wins either way – is that right?

ourmaninthenorth

Cowell owns the rights to the Rage song as well so he's laughing either way.

Really? Can you point me to the info? I just thought the link was via Sony BMG…

jon1973
    Free Member

I'm not really that bothered about what makes it to number one. Getting to number one is about being mainstream, not necessarily about good music – it's always been that way – Simon Cowell wasn't responsible for Mr Blobby for example.

Funny how everyone goes on about what a villain Simon Cowell is though, yet 19 million people watched the final – that's not far off a 1/3 of the population with 10 million people voting. Those sort of viewing figures are pretty much unheard of these days.

The number one will be the song that most people like. That’s what being number one is all about.

ourmaninthenorth

A number of people have pointed out to me that Sony wins either way – is that right?

Yes.

Remember, kids, that the self titled music "industry" is just that – it's a means of making money and that's it.

Buying Killing in the Name because you were a sulky teemnager in '92, and you don't "get" the fact that pop music hasn't actually changed, even with X-Factor, doesn't mean you're standing against The Man.

It just means you should actually go and listen to some new music. So, here are my instructions:

1. Go to your nearest independent record shop (no, Fopp doesn't count)

2. Ask them what's new and good at the moment

3. Say "no, it's OK, I don't need to listen to that

4. Go home and enjoy the excitement of having no idea whether meoldic acid folk is actually going to be your thing

5. Be pleased you had a mini adventure, suppoirted someone you've never heard of, and haven't got all hot and bothered about making major labels money

iDave
    Free Member

my 15 year old daughter insists she is marrying the xfactor winner. so if you all don't mind let him have at least one No 1 – i'd like to know that my pathetic whimpering weedy future son in law is as loaded as possible, so I can gain from a few caribbean holidays before she dumps him when he comes out. Ta.

Mister-P
    Free Member

F*ck you I won't do what you tell me.

iDave
    Free Member

also, the campaign should have picked something decent to buy, not some random shite from years ago, that wasn't even good when it was released.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I can't help thinking that last time there was a sweary number one, it was excised from the charts in a panic and the number two was played instead. The establishment REALLY WAS worried.

Johnny was attacked and arrested for it, as I recall…

Rage Against "Tidying my room" indeed…

easygirl

if its good enough for brant richards its good enough for me

chakaping
    Free Member

I don't like the idea of being told to buy the RATM single, plus I always thought it was a bit of a silly song anyway.

Why not join the Facebook group to get Jedward to cover it instead?

grievoustim
    Free Member

totally confused by this

back in the late 80s / early 90s when I was growing up Kylie and Jason seemed to be permanently no 1

back in the 70s it was Shawodey woddy or whoever

there was still good music available/ there still is

nothing has changed – who cares? Its not like RATM have ever got to number 1 in the past is it. Simon Cowell doesn't care, its just more publicity for him. Just ignore it FFS. Or get worked up about something that actually matters

warton
    Free Member

stand up for your right to a say in what is and isn't good music!

OK, i won't buy either song then!

Sony know what they're doing, who started this alternative No1? why RATM?

think about it….

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I've downloaded it illegally does that count ???

MrWoppit
    Free Member

back in the 70s it was Shawodey woddy or whoever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen_%28Sex_Pistols_song%29

ourmaninthenorth

F*ck you I won't do what you tell me.

Quite.

peachos
    Free Member
    gavinski
    Free Member

I'm creating a pub quiz at the moment and i thought i'd do a round focusing on all the good songs that were prevented from being christmas number 1 by some random novelty record – turns out that the number 2's (ho ho ho) are pretty crappy too – we just want to buy rubbish at christmas, or feel guilty about spending too much money on ourselves so buy some charity song.

I guess I'd rather the x factor wasn't a shoe in every year, but the campaign could have used any song they wanted – preferably a charity song for a smaller charity something like that or selected some unsigned band who need a break.

So for my bit, saw these guys over the summer – http://www.myspace.com/healthymindscollapse
    kind of scottish new grunge – something like that?? anyway they were by far and away the best young band (all under 20 i think) i have ever seen.

DezB
    Free Member

I've already got it, on single and album from when it first came out. Fudged if I'm buying old tat, just for a vain attempt to disrupt a very meaningless chart.
    God, don't I sound grumpy 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

By the way, I also wrote, yes wrote! to the BBC when the Late Show played a bleeped out version of Killing in The Name.
    They replayed it un-bleeped, so I won!

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I don't think I give enought of a sh*t to spend 69p on Rage Against The Machine who I think are crap anyway.

tracknicko
    Free Member

especially when thats 40p over the odds. you wanna brush up your shopping skills mate.

jond
    Free Member

>who started this alternative No1

I think it (or another one) actually stated out as 'download Journey and f*** x-factor' – earlier on it appeared that the x-factor winner would get to do Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'".
    (I caught a bit of the 'Queen' edition of x-factor a few weeks ago, and mebbe one or two did a half decent take, the rest were pretty crap)

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/journey-song-to-be-ruined-by-x-factor-numpty/

To be fair, the guy doesn't make a bad attempt if you look at the youtube footage, but it's a bit weedy compared to the original IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

Jond. I'd just like to say that your post above is completely bizarre.

nickc

How about, Just buy a track from an artist you like, and not get our collective knickers in a twist about it?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

The group seems to have disappeared.

Either it's getting hammered or Cowell's getting worried and is flexing some media might about…

alecangus
    Free Member

I've bought the RATM track because firstly I don't like the idea that SyCo now seem to own the Christmas #1 slot and have first refusal on who they give it to, and secondly whichever song makes it will be unavoidable. So if I am to have one song continually played on TV and radio over the Christmas period then let it be something a bit different.

kimbers

yep its dissapeared, might be some rules about chart eligibility

although when you consider xfactor is 1 big advert for the singles thats not really fair

or cowell has swung his legal team into action

would it have happened on myspace?- owned by newscorp and considering the sun pretty much exists on its reality tv content

soma_rich
    Free Member

The group seems to have disappeared.

What do you mean?? Is it not going to be in the charts now?

kimbers

the facebook group has gone

Bunnyhop

I had the misfortune to hear the Xfactor winner lad ( don't know his name) singing a load of durge earlier on the radio.
    At around about his age I was pogoing and listening to the lastest toons, not, being forced to push out something my granny would ( at a push – she had good taste) like.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Have you bought your Rage Against the Machine single yet?’ is closed to new replies.