• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • have I over-greased my free hub?
  • mikeyp

predictable mechanical f*ckwittery from me. My freehub body came off on my hope pro 3 whilst I was changing cassettes so I thought I’d clean and grease the pawls. Stuck a lot of lithium grease in and now its overspinning? chain gets slack when it freewheels on the stand.
    do I need to take the grease out or is it something else?
    please be kind.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

You only need a smidge, not packed in there, but check you have clipped the seal in correctly too on the freehub to hub body.

somafunk

Grease out and just leave a smear where the pawls locate in the free hub body, you can use a teeny bit wiped around the engagement ring if you like a quieter sound, I prefered the noisier option so used a drop of sticky chain oil.

That’s my routine for hope hubs over the past 20years, seemed to work for me.

mikeyp

thanks.
    it was a fair dollop so its over greased by the sounds of it. I have no idea if i’ve clipped the hub-freehub in properly. guess I’ll be taking it off again tomorrow evening. It did seem to come of very easily when changing the cassette.

mikeyp

just found a 2mm spacer on the floor as well. probably important.

somafunk

Could that be a free hub spacer?,

Rscott
    Free Member

I’d pretty much garantee the 2mm spacer is the freehub spacer,

If you dont know what it is (it sits between the freehub and the hub body to stop your freehub compressing on the bearing and jamming up) its pretty intgral to the moving of the freehub.

and as others have said a tiny bit of grease goes a long way in hope hubs.

D0NK

You only need a smidge

this is normally the case but when I cracked open my pro2 the other day it was ram packed with grease, fairly sure that was the first time I’d looked inside since I bought them. IIRC junkyard was advised to add more grease by hope when he complained that pro2s were so noisy.
    Are the freehub bearings running ok? You can get a draggy freehub if the bearings are shot.

I’d fit the spacer maybe remove a bit of grease.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘have I over-greased my free hub?’ is closed to new replies.